Expired Hot Deals

[Costco.ca] Aerogarden Home Garden Farm 24XL Hydroponic System $700

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2021 6:22 pm
[OP]
Member
Nov 14, 2012
386 posts
245 upvotes

Aerogarden Home Garden Farm 24XL Hydroponic System $700

Deal Link:
Price:
700
Savings:
200
Expiry:
January 3, 2021
Retailer:
Costco.ca
Seems to be best price for this device.

Good starter for hydroponic beginners, also looks better than DIY setups so you do not need to hide it in the basement.

When we get out of the lockdown, will be conversation starter as well.

Stackable, although hardware not included (usd $40 @ AeroGarden)

Image
.
20 replies
Sr. Member
Sep 14, 2012
746 posts
855 upvotes
Toronto
Costco had it at this lower price just less than a month ago. I get the feeling it's one of those things that go on sale a lot

As for Aerogarden itself, I had one of the slim ones from Costco. Lasted 2 weeks only so returned it. Not sold on them at all..overpriced, features you don't need (why does one need wifi on a hydroponics garden ?), plus proprietary and overpriced. Others have said the lights only last 3 years (at most).

I ended up buying off brand types from Amazon...and am delighted with the results.
Newbie
Sep 26, 2013
75 posts
30 upvotes
ichibansan wrote: I ended up buying off brand types from Amazon...and am delighted with the results.
Which off brand types from Amazon did you end up buying? Really interested in getting this going.
Sr. Member
Sep 14, 2012
746 posts
855 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunately they are not available at present...all sold out. If they come back I will let you know.
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2007
932 posts
171 upvotes
Milton, ON
I think it was on sale for $749.99 few weeks ago. It's in stock for me.
[OP]
Member
Nov 14, 2012
386 posts
245 upvotes
ichibansan wrote: Costco had it at this lower price just less than a month ago. I get the feeling it's one of those things that go on sale a lot

As for Aerogarden itself, I had one of the slim ones from Costco. Lasted 2 weeks only so returned it. Not sold on them at all..overpriced, features you don't need (why does one need wifi on a hydroponics garden ?), plus proprietary and overpriced. Others have said the lights only last 3 years (at most).

I ended up buying off brand types from Amazon...and am delighted with the results.

I designed portions of large industrial hydroponic system, my employer spent millions on R&D.

Also have my own smallish system (36 ft2) in the basement. Very DIY, Linux controller, various types of light, etc.

This is basically a toy, although quite functional one, adding WiFi into products is cheap these days, so why not. Even if the device just sends alarms when it needs some attention, its already justified.

I bought it ;) Have a perfect spot in the kitchen for it, it will cover some unfinished ugliness plus it will purify the air. Plus the produce ... 3.5 ft2 of all-year-round environmentally stable and presentable grow space is pretty good deal for the cost.
Last edited by ramon2 on Jan 3rd, 2021 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
.
Newbie
Dec 26, 2014
68 posts
129 upvotes
Cobourg, ON
Happy so far. We bought one a few weeks ago. all set-up and growing already. Wi-Fi and app are pointless but the dual electrically driven lights are nice. You move their position up and down with independent motor drives. The small aerogradens are a waste of time imho. You can plant your own seeds whenever the supplied pods are used. Longevity of lights are to be discovered but I doubt they are any worse then any others.
Member
Jul 1, 2012
270 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto
ichibansan wrote: Costco had it at this lower price just less than a month ago. I get the feeling it's one of those things that go on sale a lot

As for Aerogarden itself, I had one of the slim ones from Costco. Lasted 2 weeks only so returned it. Not sold on them at all..overpriced, features you don't need (why does one need wifi on a hydroponics garden ?), plus proprietary and overpriced. Others have said the lights only last 3 years (at most).

I ended up buying off brand types from Amazon...and am delighted with the results.
Can you link the ones you bought that were good? Even if sold out
Jr. Member
Sep 14, 2018
190 posts
279 upvotes
Are people actually buying this to grow weed? Face With Tears Of Joy
[OP]
Member
Nov 14, 2012
386 posts
245 upvotes
zigmanroxie wrote: Are people actually buying this to grow weed? Face With Tears Of Joy
Perhaps those who voted down this thread do, but generally no. This is not the setup for growing weed.
.
Newbie
Nov 15, 2014
15 posts
28 upvotes
101lol wrote: Can you link the ones you bought that were good? Even if sold out
Something like this might be suitable for your needs: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07L896LNF/ coupled with this: https://www.amazon.ca/VIVOSUN-Complete- ... B07ZD1MC5B

Depending on your needs you might end up switching out the light but overall you get a lot more equipment and flexibility for a similar price.
[OP]
Member
Nov 14, 2012
386 posts
245 upvotes
Some people emailed me about recommendation for more serious indoor growing.

I will not recommend particular products, just make few generic recommendations. The product vendors start with great and well priced product, and as they get popular they keep increasing price so consumers end up paying more for brand than functionality. Yes, you are paying for the research as well, but if you know what you are doing you can build a decent system from inexpensive generic components. Spend few days reading.

If you have space, for optimal results use tents. Plants need increased humidity, and many houses have central forced air heating, which removes humidity from the air.

Plants also like different temperatures than humans, for example cannabis likes slightly warmer 20-30'C. It also changes with the growth stage, so it is good idea to have thermostat and humidity controlled vent.

Tent will maintain proper dark night, plants do appreciate a deep darkness. Having an open growbed that receives irregular light from human activity will just confuse the plants. Tents will also allow switching day-night, and you can run grow-day in off-peak time or staggering the day-night cycles in multiple tents to not overload the wiring.

Do not build open grow-rooms in residential properties, the increased humidity may require some major changes to your walls, doors and electrical sockets and you risking invalidating your home insurance. Btw. Growing 4 weed plants for personal use is not considered a grow-op for insurance purposes.

For increasing humidity inside the tent, you can use various types of humidifiers, ultrasonic humidifiers is probably best option.

As for the lights, I would just go for full spectrum LED lights, but that is my own personal preference. Some growers swear by HPS lights, even though they need 3x more energy for same yield and require more extensive cooling. "Full Spectrum" is a misnomer here because these LEDs are actually missing green portion of spectrum, which does not contribute to the photosynthesis process.

Also, it is good idea to circulate the air inside the tent. The "wind" will cause constant movement of the plants, resulting in thicker stems and healthier plants.
.
Sr. Member
Sep 14, 2012
746 posts
855 upvotes
Toronto
101lol wrote: Can you link the ones you bought that were good? Even if sold out
It was this one- 12 pods (make sure you get 12 pod, not 7 pod). Right now it is not listed on amazon.ca, but I got if for $120 CAD all in (no taxes). You have to buy your own seeds.

https://www.idooworld.com/products/idoo ... grow-light

PS-the link in US prices plus shipping etc...wait till it is on amazon.ca
Last edited by ichibansan on Jan 3rd, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jr. Member
Dec 3, 2013
177 posts
111 upvotes
Are these 60W LEDs by consumption or is it that 8.5W LED = 60W equivalent BS?

I find this much actual LED light to be extremely bright and wouldn't really want it sitting on my counter (think around 14-15 standard LED socket lights). If it's equivalent watts you're especially being taken for a ride on the markup.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19086 posts
27499 upvotes
ONTARIO
capricious63 wrote: Are these 60W LEDs by consumption or is it that 8.5W LED = 60W equivalent BS?

I find this much actual LED light to be extremely bright and wouldn't really want it sitting on my counter (think around 14-15 standard LED socket lights). If it's equivalent watts you're especially being taken for a ride on the markup.
Each LED hood is consuming 60W for 120W in total (126W for the entire machine apparently according to Aerogarden).
Sr. Member
Sep 14, 2012
746 posts
855 upvotes
Toronto
capricious63 wrote: Are these 60W LEDs by consumption or is it that 8.5W LED = 60W equivalent BS?

I find this much actual LED light to be extremely bright and wouldn't really want it sitting on my counter (think around 14-15 standard LED socket lights). If it's equivalent watts you're especially being taken for a ride on the markup.
It is not equivalent..it is true 60W each.

You typically would not put the farm on your counter...I would put it on the floor since it is 46 inches in height...almost 4 feet.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2014
1179 posts
709 upvotes
canada
ichibansan wrote: It is not equivalent..it is true 60W each.

You typically would not put the farm on your counter...I would put it on the floor since it is 46 inches in height...almost 4 feet.
If u were to diy a rig and had said lights on it what would the cost be per day or hour to run those lights ?
Sr. Member
Sep 14, 2012
746 posts
855 upvotes
Toronto
DroNBA wrote: If u were to diy a rig and had said lights on it what would the cost be per day or hour to run those lights ?
60 watts x 2 x 16 hours a day....you should be able to find online calculators to figure that out with the cost depending on your local rates. It's not enough to get worked up about IMH . Rough guess 7 to 10 bucks a month
[OP]
Member
Nov 14, 2012
386 posts
245 upvotes
Received this today and assembled it, the assembly was quite simple and relatively pleasant.

There is even included magnetically mounted trellis, one portion of mine broke but it was easy to take apart and fix.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase. Will see in few weeks how it grows.
.
Sr. Member
Apr 21, 2012
528 posts
742 upvotes
Ontario
ramon2 wrote: Some people emailed me about recommendation for more serious indoor growing.

I will not recommend particular products, just make few generic recommendations. The product vendors start with great and well priced product, and as they get popular they keep increasing price so consumers end up paying more for brand than functionality. Yes, you are paying for the research as well, but if you know what you are doing you can build a decent system from inexpensive generic components. Spend few days reading.

If you have space, for optimal results use tents. Plants need increased humidity, and many houses have central forced air heating, which removes humidity from the air.

Plants also like different temperatures than humans, for example cannabis likes slightly warmer 20-30'C. It also changes with the growth stage, so it is good idea to have thermostat and humidity controlled vent.

Tent will maintain proper dark night, plants do appreciate a deep darkness. Having an open growbed that receives irregular light from human activity will just confuse the plants. Tents will also allow switching day-night, and you can run grow-day in off-peak time or staggering the day-night cycles in multiple tents to not overload the wiring.

Do not build open grow-rooms in residential properties, the increased humidity may require some major changes to your walls, doors and electrical sockets and you risking invalidating your home insurance. Btw. Growing 4 weed plants for personal use is not considered a grow-op for insurance purposes.

For increasing humidity inside the tent, you can use various types of humidifiers, ultrasonic humidifiers is probably best option.

As for the lights, I would just go for full spectrum LED lights, but that is my own personal preference. Some growers swear by HPS lights, even though they need 3x more energy for same yield and require more extensive cooling. "Full Spectrum" is a misnomer here because these LEDs are actually missing green portion of spectrum, which does not contribute to the photosynthesis process.

Also, it is good idea to circulate the air inside the tent. The "wind" will cause constant movement of the plants, resulting in thicker stems and healthier plants.
How important is increased humidity? Why do they like higher humidity? I kind of thought they'd prefer low humidity because of the increased capillary action from evaporation would help pull more nutrients through the plant?

Top