Jun 27, 2003
1410 posts
435 upvotes
North York

COSTCO.CA Alesis M1 Active 520 USB Studio Monitor speakers $149.97 clearance

Deal Link:
Price:
UPDATE: OUT OF STOCK!

I just received this pair of studio monitor speakers today to use in my basement, free shipping from Costco.ca. I presume the 149.97 price is for clearance items. Didn't see these instore at the Scarborough Warden location.

Specs:
Two-way, active, bi-amplified pair of reference studio-monitor loudspeakers
Wide, 56 – 20,000 Hz frequency response
60-W system with 30 W per speaker
12,7 cm (5-in.) lightweight polypropylene woofer
2.5-cm (1-in.) silk-dome tweeter for smooth, detailed highs without harshness
Integrated USB audio interface with 16-bit, 44.1/48 kHz recording and playback
Two balanced 0.6-cm (0.25-in) inputs
Stereo, 0.6-cm (0.25-in) headphone output
Magnetically shielded

Alesis website sells them for $179.00 (?USD)
http://www.alesis.com/products/view/m1a ... ticky-dest

Sweetwater website sells them for $199 USD (site w/ reviews)
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... aQodu3gONw

Couldn't find any Canadian stores that sell them. You likely won't be able to find them to listen to them in store.

Reviews online seemed to be mostly positive.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... o-monitors
https://www.amazon.com/Alesis-M1Active- ... B001T9O5UM

Good bang for the buck for entry level studio monitors.
Very solid heavy build to them, comes with a XLR plug that is a bit short at about 4". Speakers are max 3' apart when connected.
Clear highs, rich mids, appreciable lows (don't expect room thumbing bass from these).

After listening to a bunch of speakers at Bestbuy and Canada Computers for comparison (didn't get a chance to listen to other studio monitors yet), and also comparing the sound from my Audiotechnica ATH-M50 headphones, I was very impressed with the quality of tones and the nice sound stage these speakers put out. While they don't seem to do too well with very loud songs (Barns Courtney - Fire), other songs that I found online for speaker testing were stellar (Stevie Ray Vaughan - Tin Pan Alley, Rebecca Pidgeon - Spanish Harlem, Lou Reed - Walk on the wild side). While I tend to like my bass (coming from a old logitech 2.1 200W system and almost buying the newer Klipsch 2.1 speakers), I found these had decent bass for a small room. There is a bass boost switch in the back as well. There is a very slightly hum/buzz to the main powered speaker, but once the music starts you won't notice it.

Since I plug it in to my iphone to play mp3s, I bought a separate 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4 in TS, 10-Feet from amazon for $13 which works fine.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005HG ... UTF8&psc=1

So if you're looking for a decent pair of entry level studio monitors for a medium sized room, basement or garage studio, give these a try (and return to them costco if you don't like em!)
17 replies
Sep 6, 2011
263 posts
28 upvotes
Oakville
looks nice, do you know if we can buy it in store? should be less than 149.97?
Sep 6, 2011
263 posts
28 upvotes
Oakville
bought one already, thanks
Jan 16, 2011
28 posts
14 upvotes
@Ethanz, did you buy them online or found some in-store ? Thanks royaljelly for the info, might jump on at that price ! thx
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7726 posts
1607 upvotes
Unlikely. I could be wrong but haven't seen these in stores.
Ethanz wrote: looks nice, do you know if we can buy it in store? should be less than 149.97?
Pretty sure OP implied they were shipped to him.
lozdude1 wrote: @Ethanz, did you buy them online or found some in-store ? Thanks royaljelly for the info, might jump on at that price ! thx
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Jan 16, 2011
28 posts
14 upvotes
Ordered a pair, at that price it's almost impossible to beat. A friend has a pair and i admit i was very very surprized of the sound output as those are for referencing. thx guys :) !
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3743 posts
3431 upvotes
Muskoka
It says it has a USB port for record/playback. I wonder if this port is powered so that you might be able to power and use a Chromecast Audio? Of course, you could still use the CCAudio if had to get power from the wall.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3287 posts
3857 upvotes
Oakville
good deal but has limitations or you should be aware where not to use them

1/ at 30 Watts each these aren't meant for your living Home theatre system fronts nor are they going to be powerful enough for decent music reproduction

2/ when it says bass, they mean low mid, since it doesn't even touch the 20Hz range.

Otherwise for any other use like for computer, piano room, etc, it's an awesome deal
-ZdpZ... ;)
Jan 16, 2011
28 posts
14 upvotes
Just for reference the specs imply that they go as low as 56HZ. So 60HZ to 30hz/20hz and lower could be considered Sub-bass frequencies. 30HZ and lower will generally start to muddy your mix :) . So you will be able to get a 'bass' out of them as bass sits in the 60hz to 250hz. But yes, not as in a home theater system.
Mar 6, 2006
728 posts
548 upvotes
GTA
Speaking of desktop sound, not sure, do you need an amp or there is a built-in one like in Logitech systems?
How would you connect a sub to it?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1410 posts
435 upvotes
North York
Midav wrote: Speaking of desktop sound, not sure, do you need an amp or there is a built-in one like in Logitech systems?
How would you connect a sub to it?
No need for a separate amp as it's built-in (whatever biamped means??), just get the same cable I got (3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4 in TS) and plug it to your headphones output jack on your computer and you're good to go. Not sure if you'll get cleaner sound if you hook it up using the USB connection though.

If anyone knows of a cheap sub < $100 then let me know, I may add it to the speakers to round out the system. It doesn't have a dedicated output channel for the sub though, so I may need to split the input signal from my iphone.

I might hook mine up to an airport express and use airplay to make it part of my home wireless speaker system.
Jan 16, 2011
28 posts
14 upvotes
if you use the "headphone" out of your tv and use the cable as mentionned in the first post of the OP well yes you could but there is no coloration in the sound output.
Jun 19, 2006
225 posts
154 upvotes
You will want a sub to go with these. These are going to produce mid and highs mainly and very mid bass. If you want proper bass or listen to any hip hop you will want to add a sub.
Jan 21, 2014
112 posts
28 upvotes
Burnaby
don't think you can get better for 150$
Edit: you dont need a sub to go with these lol
“Take care of it! I’m going to carve these scallywags some new gizzards!”

-The great Captain Fargus
Jun 19, 2006
225 posts
154 upvotes
Depends on personal preference

You don't need a sub for laptop speakers either, but if you are ordering monitor speakers you'll want a sub to balance out the low end. They don't hit low at all.

I have them and am not satisfied without sub. I added a klipsch sub I had in a splitter and it sounds amazing now.
Sep 19, 2009
286 posts
134 upvotes
Anyone know how these compare to Kanto YU2?
Jan 21, 2014
112 posts
28 upvotes
Burnaby
Turbo_M5 wrote: Depends on personal preference

You don't need a sub for laptop speakers either, but if you are ordering monitor speakers you'll want a sub to balance out the low end. They don't hit low at all.

I have them and am not satisfied without sub. I added a klipsch sub I had in a splitter and it sounds amazing now.
Right I agree a sub would make it a better package. I meant that for someone just looking to use them as a pair of affordable pc speakers or something like that.
“Take care of it! I’m going to carve these scallywags some new gizzards!”

-The great Captain Fargus