Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco.ca

Anker Scoundcore Spirit X2 earphones $99.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2020 12:36 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1765 posts
835 upvotes
RaySmith wrote: Sigh, another one lost to the branded product shills. ;)

(frankly, I don't get the "shill" comments in any direction, I rarely get anything other than "personal opinion" vibes from posts in here especially... wouldn't always say the same for the downvotes, though, I think there's a lot of unnecessary and unwelcome noise in those)

Everyone has a different tolerance for risk and budget for a purchase, if you can comfortably afford to pay 2-4x as much for a product for a bit of peace of mind, go for it, especially if it's an expensive product that you would actually send in for warranty service if it broke. I wouldn't buy an Anker dishwasher (if such a thing existed), but I have no qualms about paying $30 for a power bank if that's cheaper than a name brand equivalent. I buy a lot of President's Choice food products over "name brand" alternatives and buying bad food could actually cause me harm. It's never black and white, one or the other, it should always be a choice if one's mind is even slightly open.
I agree. Like the car Bluetooth receiver id probably get the same thing again, but headphones I’d spend more. Everyone talks up the sound in these threads but the Anker headphones I’ve bought in the past sound worse and fit worse than the headphones my iPhone came with. I wouldn’t mind spending $100+ next time to get a Sony or something similar since I’ve tried their headphones in the past and they’ve been amazing.
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
277 upvotes
funnypanks wrote: I agree. Like the car Bluetooth receiver id probably get the same thing again, but headphones I’d spend more. Everyone talks up the sound in these threads but the Anker headphones I’ve bought in the past sound worse and fit worse than the headphones my iPhone came with. I wouldn’t mind spending $100+ next time to get a Sony or something similar since I’ve tried their headphones in the past and they’ve been amazing.
If you're ruling out Anker and including Sony strictly based on previous experience you could end up missing out. On the current Consumer's Reports rankings of bluetooth headphones (over ear), there's a $50 Monoprice set right in the middle of a bunch of $225-350 name brand cans in the 70-75/100 range. I trust CR for lack of bias in a way that I don't trust most other sites, in large part because it isn't just one person doing the review, it's a consolidation of lots of opinions from their testers. They're also testing a $60 Anker set, I'm looking forward to seeing how that one comes out.

A lot of websites are pushing a Sony set at $350 as the best, CR rates them 3rd (75/100) but distantly back of a pair of 87/100 Bose sets and barely above the Monoprice (72/100).

Trusting reviews for something like a fridge or dishwasher are easy, opinions rarely come into it and you can obviously test whether they work well or not. Anything that involves subjective measure, though (sound is "muddy", bass is "thumpy"), it becomes hard to filter out bias from the reviewer, especially when they have specific experience and opinions on the subject to colour their opinion.

It's going to be really interesting as time goes on as "low-end" brands start legitimately competing with the name brands on premium products like TVs and headphones. I think it's going to become easier to see which sites resist the change via bias and which are willing to give them their due when appropriate. Who's going to keep recommending Samsung at twice the price now that Hisense is selling Quantum Dot TVs? I'm looking forward to finding out.
Nov 22, 2017
164 posts
142 upvotes
Winnipeg
Definitely not a paid shiller, but I'm on the other end of the spectrum here. I absolutely loved the Life p2 buds, and then I lost them, no less than a year after losing Airpods.. I apparently suck at keeping track of small buds, or my kids take it upon themselves to move them. Then last week I ordered the spirits from Amazon at their "discounted price" of 110.. DOH. The spirits sound phenomenal to me. Also ordered the Life Dots to try as well, but yet to unbox and try them out.

I also still have my bright green Aukey headphones from about 4 years ago when they were 17 bucks, and they still go strong. Just shite when running.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)