• Apr 30th, 2019 11:57 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…

costco.ca... members vs non members price

Is it worth becoming a member for a one-off purchase?

I've been looking at a generator that is about $500 more expensive elsewhere, so it's tempting to sacrifice Costco's membership fee in order to gain the discount.

But is the price offered to non-members on the Costco web site the same as the price offered to members?

I have zero experience with these guys, hence the question. Thanks>>>
28 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
3320 posts
2372 upvotes
Well if you linked it to us maybe we can check it with the accounts that have membership numbers connected to them and tell you...
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3909 posts
2339 upvotes
Ottawa
makaturing wrote: Is it worth becoming a member for a one-off purchase?

I've been looking at a generator that is about $500 more expensive elsewhere, so it's tempting to sacrifice Costco's membership fee in order to gain the discount.

But is the price offered to non-members on the Costco web site the same as the price offered to members?

I have zero experience with these guys, hence the question. Thanks>>>
The costco.ca website can be ordered from, even if you are not a member.

The only time that can't be, is if it is marked as "Member Only pricing". Other than that, the prices at the same for members vs. non-members.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Akitakara wrote: The costco.ca website can be ordered from, even if you are not a member.

The only time that can't be, is if it is marked as "Member Only pricing". Other than that, the prices at the same for members vs. non-members.
This

BUT, it is a known fact that the website pricing can be different from Instore pricing as well, if the item is currently in the warehouses.

So you could be saving $ 500 from buying from the website, or maybe more than that if buying Instore. In which case that difference might very well cover your membership for an entire year.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…
IEpicDestroyer wrote: Well if you linked it to us maybe we can check it with the accounts that have membership numbers connected to them and tell you...
Yes I was considering this, linking the specific item, but I know there are many experienced Costco shoppers here so I thought I'd ask a generic question without getting specific. Thanks...
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
1515 posts
988 upvotes
makaturing wrote: Yes I was considering this, linking the specific item, but I know there are many experienced Costco shoppers here so I thought I'd ask a generic question without getting specific. Thanks...
If it's listed as member pricing then it is a special price that members can only see once they are logged in. If that is the case, we can't help you unless you link to it. If you can freely see the price now, you can order it without a membership.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…
Understood, thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6416 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
@makaturing

If you end up purchasing generator and want to return it, not sure if the "return process" may be easier, or like anything, YMMV depending on Warehouse/Cashier etc :)

If you want to buy other things at Costco in person (if convenient location) or items specifically 'Members Only' via Costco.ca, it may be worth it, especially if there are any current sign up incentives?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
Not sure if it's a big deal but Executive members get 2% cashback when shopping online.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
2207 posts
1398 upvotes
Etobicoke
Do you not know anyone that is a member that can help you out with this?
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
sherman51 wrote: Do you not know anyone that is a member that can help you out with this?
Not clear from your post what it is you want help with...

If you are asking about Membership Promos / Referrals

The “refer yourself” sign up Bonus is currently advertised on the Costco.ca website
https://www.costco.ca/membership-offer. ... omo19_P2P3
Terms & Conditions

*This offer is for new members or memberships that have been expired for more than 18 months. Offer only available online on Costco.ca, expires February 17, 2019 and may not be combined with any other offers. Receive a $20 online voucher for your next purchase on Costco.ca when purchasing a new Gold Star or Executive Membership on Costco.ca. A $20 online voucher Promo Code will be sent to the member’s email address within 2 weeks of the successful completion of the signup process. The online voucher is valid until March 31, 2019. The online voucher code must be used in one (1) single transaction greater than $20, before taxes, applicable fees and shipping, unless applicable fees and/or standard shipping are included in the quoted priceOffer not valid for Costco purchases made in warehouse, in Costco Business Centres, on costcobusinesscentre.ca, on costcophotocentre.ca, or on purchases of Costco Cash Cards, App Store & iTunes Gift Cards, gift cards, certificates and tickets, travel, tires, membership, or membership renewals. Only one (1) online voucher can be used per online transaction. Only Canadian Costco members in good standing may take advantage of this offer. Prices, specifications, availability and terms of offers subject to change without notice. Ratings are subject to change without notice.

† A Spouse refers to either a spouse or a family member 18 years of age or older living at the same address.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6416 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
TomLafinsky wrote:

Costco always add a shipping/handling fee to the item ordered from Costco.ca. Small items selling for $50 will usually have a $5 shipping fee. IOW, the same item purchased in store would be $5 cheaper as there is no shipping.
I'm confused ... As in separate shipping fee +$5 on costco.ca (that would be news to me) or are you saying cost of shipping is built into price for everything?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
From my recent experience, the shipping is now built into the price.
I just bought a set of Panasonic cordless phones, price (including shipping) on line was the same as the price in the store.
It used to be that shipping was added to on-line orders.
Maybe it varies by item....
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
krs wrote: From my recent experience, the shipping is now built into the price.
I just bought a set of Panasonic cordless phones, price (including shipping) on line was the same as the price in the store.
It used to be that shipping was added to on-line orders.
Maybe it varies by item....
Varies by item.

I like to think of it this way...

Some items charge for shipping, others do not
(ordered something today... shipping was a very reasonable $ 3)

Prices in general can vary between the website and the stores... some are higher, some are lower, and some are the exact same.

BUT... the website has a ton more selection than any warehouse.
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jan 29th, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6416 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
TomLafinsky wrote: Costco store sells product ABC for $45. I go to Costco.ca and order ABC. Total cost is $50 (plus tax, of course). I have ordered a few products between $40 and $80 and compared to in-store, it is always $5 more to cover shipping/handling. Hope it is clear.
Thanks for your example and clarifying re shipping costs!

Yes, Hot Buys seem to be an exception as they may not be in store and on clearance so can sometimes get $15 to $20 with free shipping and not see any "hidden" shipping costs.

It definitely helps to compare in store vs online and food/household items are usually cheaper in the warehouse.

One thing great about Costco.ca vs warehouse is less impulse shopping :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Varies by item.

I like to think of it this way...

Some items charge for shipping, others do not (ordered something today... shipping was a very reasonable $ 3)

Prices in general can vary between the website and the stores... some are higher, some are lower, and some are the exact same.

BUT... the website has a ton more selection than any warehouse.
The $3 surcharge is only for 2-day delivery / grocery items. There's also a $25 surcharge for business orders. Both can be waived with a minimum purchase amount.

Everything else has shipping included in the price.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
No brainer.
$60 membership - $500 = $440 in your pocket.
superfresh89 wrote: Not sure if it's a big deal but Executive members get 2% cashback when shopping online.
Since OP is talking about saving $500, this may very well be worth it if the generator is over $3000.
If it's exactly $3000, they'll get $60 back making Executive a "free" upgrade over the $60 membership.

Any additional spend beyond that would reduce the membership cost further.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
death_hawk wrote: No brainer.
$60 membership - $500 = $440 in your pocket.
Read the thread again!
The question is should the OP buy from costco.ca (no membership fee) or Costco (the store) with membership fee but maybe cheaper.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
krs wrote: Read the thread again!
The question is should the OP buy from costco.ca (no membership fee) or Costco (the store) with membership fee but maybe cheaper.
Oops.

I'd also contact the local warehouse with the part number to see if they even carry it.
OP talks about saving $500 which leads me to believe it might be a permanent generator and not a portable one.
I've only ever seen it once in a store between all the warehouses I've been to.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…
I have zero experience with Costco, never bought anything from them. But I have seen some very attractive prices on costco.ca, hence my question...

Does it make any sense for someone who never intends to shop in person at a Costco store to buy a membership?

Do Costco members receive different prices on costco.ca than non-members?

TIA