Ooma Telo Home phone service device $99.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 9:13 am
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4568 posts
2093 upvotes
Parry Sound
JEST3R wrote: I had Ooma for a few years and no problem. This last year, the box randomly crashes with a flashing red flower (logo). Nothing changed in my provider or hardware (routers/mesh). There is no way for you to know that the box has crashed unless you look at it and see the red flashing or pick up a phone. The box is buried in my basement, so I can't readily see it and it's very annoying. The Panasonic phones I was using with it would show nothing out of the ordinary on the displays, you could only tell if you picked them up and didn't get the correct tone.

The Ooma website account interface will show the box is offline but won't send a warning and you can't reset it from that interface. Of course, you actually have to login to your account to see that it's offline if you can't see the box.
If the box is wireless (or behind a router, if I'm not mistaken), you can't access the user interface and reset it at all, not even with IP address. You have to manually go to the box and pull the plug. I had to do that every other week only to find I had a pile of messages waiting that were stored online. Nothing changed in my internet provider (high speed Videotron) or hardware (routers/mesh). It got so frustrating that I got rid of it.

Not hating, just facts and my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.
FYI, if you plug an ethernet into the home port and other end into your computer, you can access the internal setup menu by going to setup.ooma.com

I had to go in there to disable DECT and set a static IP.
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
May 28, 2004
686 posts
279 upvotes
BelleVegas
I had a MAJOR issue with Billing with OOMA. they charged me TWICE on the same credit card exactly one week after the my original billing date, for 6 months. When I called to inquire, they said NO we are only Billing you once, but here I had a credit card statement that said otherwise, and asked them to look up my credit card for billing... they never could figure out what the second charge was for and to which account... problem solved by switching credit cards for billing, prepaid because they also have a habit of charging your credit car even after you cancel service... VERY SKETCHY billing but other wise service is OK. Use a prepaid card and don't ever expect OOMA to resolve a billing issue, just switch payment method!
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2194 posts
2320 upvotes
LLHawk57 wrote: I have been using Magicjack for about a year now and get an echo quite often and sometimes I will get my call dropped. Is the Ooma call quality better than Magicjack?
night and day. I had nettalk and it was brutal.
Aug 8, 2011
97 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
Bought an ooma and porting away from bell. website says it could take a few weeks but I read a few posts saying it only took 4 or 5 days. Anyone ported before ?
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
4022 posts
2026 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
Ac131313 wrote: Bought an ooma and porting away from bell. website says it could take a few weeks but I read a few posts saying it only took 4 or 5 days. Anyone ported before ?

Just wondering - did you just chose the one-time $39.99 charge, or did you go with Premier, or...?
I'm trying to decide how/when to port my number.
Thanks!
I can't afford to save that much!
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1897 posts
794 upvotes
Calgary
Ac131313 wrote: Bought an ooma and porting away from bell. website says it could take a few weeks but I read a few posts saying it only took 4 or 5 days. Anyone ported before ?
Took me exactly one week to port, this was right when the covid shutdowns were starting too. Just make sure when the port comes through that it's set as the default number on your Telo device.
deals46 wrote: Just wondering - did you just chose the one-time $39.99 charge, or did you go with Premier, or...?
Thanks!
I just paid the $39.99 fee, didn't really see any benefit to the premier service for my use case.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
4022 posts
2026 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
blind56 wrote:
I just paid the $39.99 fee, didn't really see any benefit to the premier service for my use case.

Thanks. I'm also thinking the same. Just asking in case someone was able to get it for less than $40.

Didn't notice ($40 fee) when I first decided to try the Ooma hardware. Oh well, guess I'll just consider my overall savings to be $40 less than originally thought Face With Tears Of Joy... at least I got the Security kit/devices. Winking Face
I can't afford to save that much!
Aug 8, 2011
97 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
deals46 wrote:
Just wondering - did you just chose the one-time $39.99 charge, or did you go with Premier, or...?
Thanks!
deals46 wrote:
Thanks. I'm also thinking the same. Just asking in case someone was able to get it for less than $40.

Didn't notice ($40 fee) when I first decided to try the Ooma hardware. Oh well, guess I'll just consider my overall savings to be $40 less than originally thought Face With Tears Of Joy... at least I got the Security kit/devices. Winking Face
I went with the premier - for an extra $60 I don't mind the unlimited usa calling as well given that I have family down there. Id also like to see how it works for the first year and I can always drop it to basic for the next year
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4568 posts
2093 upvotes
Parry Sound
blind56 wrote:
Took me exactly one week to port, this was right when the covid shutdowns were starting too. Just make sure when the port comes through that it's set as the default number on your Telo device.

deals46 wrote:

Ac131313 wrote: I went with the premier - for an extra $60 I don't mind the unlimited usa calling as well given that I have family down there. Id also like to see how it works for the first year and I can always drop it to basic for the next year
Same. It also comes with a bunch of extra features that could be useful:
- extra voicemail features
- enhanced caller ID
- a more sophisticated call blocking with anonymous caller and spam caller blocking
- full featured mobile app where you can make and receive calls and have it ring simultaneously with your Telo. You can even use it if your Telo ever goes offline or stops working.
- a second number which can be a US number if you choose
Mar 11, 2011
976 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto
theflyingsquirrel wrote: It is free for freephoneline.ca
Not quite correct. If you call 911, you pay a $35 charge. But how often do you or should you call 911? This is the amount you would pay to Ooma every 7 months.

With Ooma, what are these 'taxes'? If the service is 'free', then the HST is zero. With Freephoneline there are no taxes. 911 charges with Speakout are $1.25, and people consider that high. I think Ooma is playing with words when they claim that there service is free.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4568 posts
2093 upvotes
Parry Sound
46jimbo wrote: Out of curiosity I did a search for reviews of Ooma. The results aren't always pretty. Many complaints about customer service and that it is very hard to quit the service- they keep charging your credit card.

https://ca.trustpilot.com/review/www.ooma.com
No one has any complaints about the service itself.. only the cancellation.

And sure, it's not "free" but they mention this all of their website that you still have to pay certain fees. Maybe those fees are higher than the competitor but they're not hiding that the fees exist. I do agree that it's misleading marketing.

Anyway, if you only need to call within Canada then there are probably better, cheaper options.

For those who need to call international, the Ooma World plan comes out to be around 10 bucks cheaper than Vonage World.. and the Telo is much better than the Vonage box since it has a built-in voicemail player.

Is there a better option that includes international calling that isn't based on a pay-per-use model like voip.ms?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)