Philips Wake-up light HF3510/60

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2016 11:18 am
36 replies
Nov 27, 2015
22 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone ever use this and have any comments?
Jul 24, 2011
31 posts
11 upvotes
Gatineau
Zedem000 wrote: Anyone ever use this and have any comments?
I bought one off Amazon last week - they're selling them for less than Costco by the way, I got mine for $70 + tax (it's gone up a bit since then). It works, and I'm a heavy sleeper! And it's way more pleasant to wake up to light than to wake up to a buzzer.
Nov 28, 2012
41 posts
13 upvotes
The video makes it quite tempting, but then I looked at the price tag.. $100. Yikes.

I guess I'm going to stick with the old and cheaper way of leaving my curtains open when I sleep and wake up, bathing in sunlight.
Feb 14, 2012
103 posts
80 upvotes
GTA
I had the more expensive 3520 version (It also changes color from orange to white to more closely mimic a sunrise). While I did like the concept, the execution was less than perfect. There does not seem to be a way to turn off the alarm and the light with one button, this needs to be done with two separate controls (the alarm and the light). There is no battery backup, so if power was to go out at night, you are not getting woken up. Also the snooze function (by pressing on the front face of the light) did not work every time. I also found that it only works if I am facing the light, I tend to sleep on both sides and if I happen to be not facing the light, it did not wake me up.

The concept seems like a good idea but I would expect more from an alarm clock for over $100.

What did not work for me may work for you though.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2269 posts
727 upvotes
Kitchener
I purchased the 3520 for $109 last Christmas for my youngest daughter. I'd previously purchased the same model the year before for my eldest. Both of them love it. Makes getting up in the dark easier for both of them. One even stopped having her morning cup of coffee.
A few design flaws, but overall it's wonderful. If I had to get up in the dark, I'd get one for myself as well.
My advice to you is to get one from a place that has a good/excellent return policy and try it out for the length of the return limit, then decide for yourself. Our rating is 4.5 stars. Off .5 because of the design issues (button placement/no battery backup). We'd buy again and recommended to all who can get over the cost.
One of the kids said it was like adding an hour to her day because she feels soooooooo awake when she gets up.
Nov 8, 2012
790 posts
275 upvotes
warwick01 wrote: The video makes it quite tempting, but then I looked at the price tag.. $100. Yikes.

I guess I'm going to stick with the old and cheaper way of leaving my curtains open when I sleep and wake up, bathing in sunlight.
This, and a set of blackout curtains. You'll quickly see that you're paying a much higher price by not getting the rest you need 6-8 hours a day 365.
Feb 13, 2004
823 posts
158 upvotes
Montreal
I bought it from Amazon last month with every intention of trying it out for a week and returning it; much to by surprise (and delight) this thing has completely changed the way I wake up in the morning. I set this alarm for 20 minutes before I need to wake up and I set my phone alarm as well for later as a backup. So far I've woken up before my phone alarm goes off every single time, and I've never felt more refreshed in the morning.
Nov 5, 2013
25 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I also have the more expensive model (which mimics the sunrise). My thoughts are also mixed- as someone else pointed out, in order for me to wake up from only the light, you really have to be facing the alarm clock. Otherwise, I wake up from the alarm, which defeats the purpose of it. If you're someone who likes to roll around in bed, then this may not be 100% effective. The lack of a battery backup is also a minor issue. Just some things to keep in mind. Definitely worth a shot to try out for the potential benefits!
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
2229 posts
822 upvotes
Toronto
I also bought it from Amazon. Mind you the soft light brights up the entire room. so even if you are not directly facing the clock the room is still pretty bright. However, I don't wake up feeling fresh the way the commercial does. I agree the buttons are counter-intuitive. With Costco's return policy, why not just try it out?
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
12865 posts
3827 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
I don't have this model, but I have a much older, less attractive HF-3470.

http://www.philips.ca/c-p/HF3470_60/wake-up-light

I find it to be a much nicer way to awaken than a noisy alarm clock.

The light starts 30 minutes before wake up time. At wake up time birds start to chirp.

My cat is wakened by the light before me, so sometimes she wakens me before the birds by touching her paw to my face.

Compare that to being jarred awake by an alarm or radio.

The idea of wakening to natural sunlight is nice, but I would be late for work 10 months of the year!
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Aug 12, 2006
603 posts
172 upvotes
Markham
MexiCanuck wrote: I don't have this model, but I have a much older, less attractive HF-3470.

http://www.philips.ca/c-p/HF3470_60/wake-up-light

I find it to be a much nicer way to awaken than a noisy alarm clock.

The light starts 30 minutes before wake up time. At wake up time birds start to chirp.

My cat is wakened by the light before me, so sometimes she wakens me before the birds by touching her paw to my face.

Compare that to being jarred awake by an alarm or radio.

The idea of wakening to natural sunlight is nice, but I would be late for work 10 months of the year!
cats bury poop with their paws
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4440 posts
869 upvotes
Edmonton
I have tried a different model. Same idea and from Costco. Returned it after a month.

I work shifts sometimes nights sometimes days. I did not feel like it changed anything just more stuff I hauled around in my truck to work. What I preferred was a gradient alarm clock which starts soft and goes loud. Blackberry has it and seems to be easier and to the same effect. I imagine there is a fair bit of user preference in this market.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2003
4227 posts
1017 upvotes
GTA
I don't understand why you would want to use a wakeup light and have a button to disable both the alarm & light in one go. If you're waking up when it's dark outside, having the wakeup light still illuminating the room is going to help when turning on the actual room light. Turn off alarm + light in one go = getting out of bed in the dark.

On highest brightness it illuminates my entire room. For wakeup level I have mine set to 17 (out of 20) because it's already very bright.

Lack of backup battery is a non-issue for me. It holds memory long enough to move it to a different outlet, and I still set a phone alarm as backup just in case.
Feb 16, 2016
21 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Megaxyu wrote: I had the more expensive 3520 version (It also changes color from orange to white to more closely mimic a sunrise). While I did like the concept, the execution was less than perfect. There does not seem to be a way to turn off the alarm and the light with one button, this needs to be done with two separate controls (the alarm and the light). There is no battery backup, so if power was to go out at night, you are not getting woken up. Also the snooze function (by pressing on the front face of the light) did not work every time. I also found that it only works if I am facing the light, I tend to sleep on both sides and if I happen to be not facing the light, it did not wake me up.

The concept seems like a good idea but I would expect more from an alarm clock for over $100.

What did not work for me may work for you though.
+1 Good Review here and spot on with my own thoughts.

I guess the silver lining with the snooze feature that doesn't work well and complicated alarm turn-off, is that by the time I get the snooze to work, I'm wide awake :)
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2005
2443 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
I have the HF3520 and use it in combination with my regular alarm (I.e. iPhone). I've used it for just over 1 month and it works great!
Background: I'm the guy that stays up too late (I.e. 1-3am playing video games, watching movies) and struggles to wake up every morning (7am).
During the last quarter of 2015, I was missing my train or barely catching it at least once or twice a week. :facepalm:
After using this product, I haven't slept in past my alarm.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
12865 posts
3827 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
cloud9x wrote: cats bury poop with their paws
Cats push litter around with their paws. And they don't generally put their paws in people's mouths or on people's tongues.

When I think of the human body parts that people put into their mouths or put their tongues on, I'm pretty comfortable with my cat touching my face. :)
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)