Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Costco.ca: TCL 55" HDR Roku Smart TV - Model 55R613-CA - $599.99 Delivered

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2020 9:40 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 16, 2004
1289 posts
1949 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RTM wrote: OOS on Costco.ca as of right now.
Not where I sit.
May 22, 2012
566 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
Doesn't show on the website anymore.

Debating between this and the Hisense H8809
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26237 posts
6503 upvotes
platinumtiger19 wrote: Doesn't show on the website anymore.

Debating between this and the Hisense H8809
Amazon has a ton of 55R615s (IR remote instead of RF) on Warehouse deals; however note these are typically all returns and one of the main reasons for return has been excessive DSE so caveat emptor.

H8809 aka H8F is a great set. It's almost up to par with the 6-series (doesn't get as bright so not as good for HDR) and much lower risk of excessive DSE. However a lot of complaints on H8809 about the poor response time, so might not be a great choice for sports. Personally I don't see any huge issue with the response time on it (I own a 55H8F) but I don't really watch sports. Response time seems to affect different people differently as well as there are lots of people that have said they don't think it's as bad as others say in this area (some also speculate there may be different panels on different examples but tough to tell).

H8G will be coming soon though, as a heads up, but unsure about price--will probably be a premium when it releases and then slowly go down. H8G will improve with more dimming zones and an added 75" size but the brightness will probably be the same (advertised as 700nits which is same as H8F).
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3448 posts
2996 upvotes
Markham
frogger wrote: Amazon sells a $20 ethernet adapter for their fire devices.
Screenshot_2020-04-01_21-30-54.png
May 22, 2012
566 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: Amazon has a ton of 55R615s (IR remote instead of RF) on Warehouse deals; however note these are typically all returns and one of the main reasons for return has been excessive DSE so caveat emptor.

H8809 aka H8F is a great set. It's almost up to par with the 6-series (doesn't get as bright so not as good for HDR) and much lower risk of excessive DSE. However a lot of complaints on H8809 about the poor response time, so might not be a great choice for sports. Personally I don't see any huge issue with the response time on it (I own a 55H8F) but I don't really watch sports. Response time seems to affect different people differently as well as there are lots of people that have said they don't think it's as bad as others say in this area (some also speculate there may be different panels on different examples but tough to tell).

H8G will be coming soon though, as a heads up, but unsure about price--will probably be a premium when it releases and then slowly go down. H8G will improve with more dimming zones and an added 75" size but the brightness will probably be the same (advertised as 700nits which is same as H8F).
Thanks for the detailed response. What’s excessive DSE?

The slow response time on the H8F scares me a bit... I watch a lot of sports. Any idea when the H8G will come out? We don’t move till end of April.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26237 posts
6503 upvotes
platinumtiger19 wrote: Thanks for the detailed response. What’s excessive DSE?
DSE = Dirty Screen Effect. It really relates to grey uniformity. DSE is just the effect it causes--it makes it look like the screen is dirty because when the light-colour uniformity is, well, not as uniform you will see the effect on moving images on a light background as if the screen were dirty. Therefore when grey uniformity is poor, you get more DSE. DSE is something inherent in the design of LCDs, as is flashlighting/clouding (another adverse effect of the technology). However DSE, in my experience, only really starts to become a problem with 55" or larger sets. I've never seen bad DSE myself on smaller sets or monitors. Not to say it doesn't exist but it's just far less common or pronounced. DSE is most annoying on relatively static light colour backgrounds with moving/panning foreground or camera. Hockey is quite affected, for example. Other sports as well as with soccer/football you have a light/bright green field with the camera panning back & forth similarly.

DSE can be worse not just by make/model of set, by individual example of that model. This is why people then bring the term "panel lottery" because you might get a great one, you might not. TCL in particular seems to have a lot of complaints with their 6-series about this problem though--the sets are notorious for DSE. However one set may have minimal DSE and another may be quite bad. Also how much it affects the individual is another variable. One person might think it's unacceptable and return a TV another person would have been completely fine with. There are ways to try to fix DSE on your own but for the most part they are dangerous and inadvisable. One involves jostling/dropping the TV (in a controlled fashion) to try to make it better. The other involves dismantling the TV and trying to reset the layers but this has a high chance of breaking the set. Both could also make it worse, lol.
platinumtiger19 wrote: The slow response time on the H8F scares me a bit... I watch a lot of sports. Any idea when the H8G will come out? We don’t move till end of April.
Best idea is to try one out. No telling if the H8G will be better until it releases as well.
H8G should probably should be out by then but a few things to consider:
-Canadian release date may be different from US where it is expected to be out this month or next.
-COVID has messed up all schedules for all things.
-Pricing will probably be high initially.
-
May 22, 2012
566 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: DSE = Dirty Screen Effect. It really relates to grey uniformity. DSE is just the effect it causes--it makes it look like the screen is dirty because when the light-colour uniformity is, well, not as uniform you will see the effect on moving images on a light background as if the screen were dirty. Therefore when grey uniformity is poor, you get more DSE. DSE is something inherent in the design of LCDs, as is flashlighting/clouding (another adverse effect of the technology). However DSE, in my experience, only really starts to become a problem with 55" or larger sets. I've never seen bad DSE myself on smaller sets or monitors. Not to say it doesn't exist but it's just far less common or pronounced. DSE is most annoying on relatively static light colour backgrounds with moving/panning foreground or camera. Hockey is quite affected, for example. Other sports as well as with soccer/football you have a light/bright green field with the camera panning back & forth similarly.

DSE can be worse not just by make/model of set, by individual example of that model. This is why people then bring the term "panel lottery" because you might get a great one, you might not. TCL in particular seems to have a lot of complaints with their 6-series about this problem though--the sets are notorious for DSE. However one set may have minimal DSE and another may be quite bad. Also how much it affects the individual is another variable. One person might think it's unacceptable and return a TV another person would have been completely fine with. There are ways to try to fix DSE on your own but for the most part they are dangerous and inadvisable. One involves jostling/dropping the TV (in a controlled fashion) to try to make it better. The other involves dismantling the TV and trying to reset the layers but this has a high chance of breaking the set. Both could also make it worse, lol.
Best idea is to try one out. No telling if the H8G will be better until it releases as well.
H8G should probably should be out by then but a few things to consider:
-Canadian release date may be different from US where it is expected to be out this month or next.
-COVID has messed up all schedules for all things.
-Pricing will probably be high initially.
-
Thanks for your help. I guess I have time, I can wait a bit. With my luck I’ll have to drag a few different TVs up to my condo to find a good one
Jun 22, 2009
801 posts
204 upvotes
Kitchener
If installing just one app - Downloader - is bunch of backflips for you... It super easy.

As for working while internet is down... I have home screen app which works regardless of internet availability...
jeremy4 wrote: If you're the modding type then the Fire TV may be slightly better since you can load Kodi on it by doing a bunch of backflips.

The Roku works better if internet is down since it doesn't just turn everything off when it can't call home base (the Fire does).
Слава Україні!
Jun 22, 2009
801 posts
204 upvotes
Kitchener
For $20 you can buy USB to Ethernet adapter from Amazon
ips1177 wrote: I know but fire stick uses wifi, I want a tv which comes with an ethernet port...
Слава Україні!
Dec 21, 2012
139 posts
60 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Ive been eyeing on a 43 inch on Costco but they removed the page. Does that typically mean that they no longer carry it or would it just be oos?
Aug 6, 2012
234 posts
77 upvotes
TORONTO
Zhopa wrote: If installing just one app - Downloader - is bunch of backflips for you... It super easy.

As for working while internet is down... I have home screen app which works regardless of internet availability...
Install Downloader, opt out of all the requests, hunt for URL or type it in using one of the worst onscreen keyboards, use the annoying navigation to get the apk, finally install. Then keeping things updated is a pain. Only updated Kodi once since because it's not worth the effort.

The home screen apps keep resetting due to needing accessibility services re-enabled. Even then on each start-up it won't go back to the new home screen app. Works for a while, then back to their advertising filled home screen.

If it works for you, that's great. It's just more of a pita than the other android boxes.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
3189 posts
890 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Does anyone know if the TCL TVs have the "Sportsnet Now" app? I've been a long time MLB.tv subscriber but apparently need to move to Sportsnet Now this season and my Hisense patio TV does not support it. Looking for an option that doesn't require me adding any sort of "box” to get the app.
Apr 19, 2007
287 posts
71 upvotes
York
Back in stock.
Ordered.
Thanks OP!
Nov 29, 2006
105 posts
41 upvotes
Quebec city
ips1177 wrote: should I get this TV or because it comes with Roku which is limited for Apps and all because word is I cannot side-load things onto roku, should I opt for one with Amazon Fire:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/to ... n/12598560

any other non-roku suggestions for a TV 50"-55" around 300-500$?
Same question here... My home is all Alexa with echos and fire stick... So having a tv alexa compatible would be better. can the roku player be disable?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)