Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Costco Calgary - WD My Book 6TB $154

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2018 5:16 pm
Jan 2, 2007
368 posts
17 upvotes
Calgary

Costco Calgary - WD My Book 6TB $154

Saw the WD My Book 6TB for $154@Costco Calgary Beacon Hills location, regular price is $189. You may find similar prices at other warehouses.
28 replies
Dec 25, 2010
982 posts
359 upvotes
Vancouver
Less than $26 per TB. Good price, and not hard to remove the drive from the enclosure if you don't mind voiding the warranty.

Anyone see this in Vancouver?
Aug 26, 2008
568 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Not for the first time I notice, among different WD disk sizes, 6TB is often cheaper per GB. Any known reliability issues?
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1661 posts
511 upvotes
Orpheus wrote: Less than $26 per TB. Good price, and not hard to remove the drive from the enclosure if you don't mind voiding the warranty.

I understand the enclosure warranty being voided when opening up the drive. But does the drive itself lose its warranty as well?
Dec 25, 2010
982 posts
359 upvotes
Vancouver
tatung wrote: I understand the enclosure warranty being voided when opening up the drive. But does the drive itself lose its warranty as well?
Yes, it voids the WD warranty. However, you might be able to put the drive back in the enclosure and see if Costco will accept the return. Costco is very good about returns.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
2423 posts
1948 upvotes
Calgary
tatung wrote: I understand the enclosure warranty being voided when opening up the drive. But does the drive itself lose its warranty as well?
The bare drives in these things are known as OEM, just like those supplied in a computer. So, effectively, they have no warranty apart the one for the entire unit -- that has not been opened.
In your pants!
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1501 posts
3477 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Orpheus wrote: Less than $26 per TB. Good price, and not hard to remove the drive from the enclosure if you don't mind voiding the warranty.

You’ve probably already checked but in case you haven’t, yes downtown and Willingdon have these drives in stock.

This is a price drop - Costco’s pricing fell from $190 to $180 and now to $155 in a span of 2 months! Not to mention they were also on sale on Amazon.ca two weeks ago for $155 so the price drop is likely manufacturer driven.

I bought two last night, shucked the drives and stuck them in my NAS.

Yes I know they aren’t NAS grade drives, but I have off-site backup as well (Crashplan for now) so the effective added capacity for my setup is great for the price!
Images
  • 1E7DB960-9FB5-4C2E-B5FF-0CEB0A9018F1.jpeg
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1661 posts
511 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote: You’ve probably already checked but in case you haven’t, yes downtown and Willingdon have these drives in stock.

This is a price drop - Costco’s pricing fell from $190 to $180 and now to $155 in a span of 2 months! Not to mention they were also on sale on Amazon.ca two weeks ago for $155 so the price drop is likely manufacturer driven.

Yes I know they aren’t NAS grade drives, but I have off-site backup as well (Crashplan for now) so the effective added capacity for my setup is great for the price!
Have you checked what drive is actually in it (ie use Passmark Diskcheckup) ? I bought a 4TB and it had a WD Red in it.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6241 posts
708 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote: You’ve probably already checked but in case you haven’t, yes downtown and Willingdon have these drives in stock.

What drives were inside of them?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
3692 posts
273 upvotes
I picked one up in Ontario - same price here.

According to Passmark Diskcheckup it's got a WD Blue in it model WD60EZRZ.

Just needed some more storage - can't complain for the price.
Everything in moderation... including moderation :twisted:
Oct 15, 2001
314 posts
78 upvotes
Montreal
Bazooka Joe wrote: I picked one up in Ontario - same price here.

According to Passmark Diskcheckup it's got a WD Blue in it model WD60EZRZ.

Just needed some more storage - can't complain for the price.
Same with me, bought in St-Hubert
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23193 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore

What are the specs of the drive? 5400 RPM?
Oct 25, 2001
978 posts
689 upvotes
Toronto
What brand/model is the best bet to get a 7200 drive? Seems like a My Book is a crapshoot and unlikely to get a Black.
Nov 5, 2008
427 posts
364 upvotes
Richmond
$154, lots of stock at Richmond, BC Costco as of 18-Mar-2018.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
2228 posts
2150 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Saw this price in Stoney Creek location today
Nov 26, 2011
110 posts
43 upvotes
GTA East
Confirming there are several at the Pickering, ON Costco, same price.

Thanks OP.
Jan 22, 2012
211 posts
73 upvotes
Waterloo
Kontos wrote: Is WD better than Seagate? I'm looking at the 8TB Seagate drive on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01HD6 ... UTF8&psc=1
I've had a lot of issues with Seagate drives, one had a firmware boot issue that bricked the drive after a certain number of reboots, and two other Seagate drives that just straight up died on me.

Never had a WD drive fail like that on me though. Take that for what you will, but I feel like I hear a lot more stories about Seagate being unreliable

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)