Shopping Discussion

Costco Canada changing return policy for tvs?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2010 5:33 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2005
3002 posts
126 upvotes
Mtl

Costco Canada changing return policy for tvs?

I've recently read some info on this thread here: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... urn+policy

that costco will be changing their return policy to 90 days very soon. Can any costco employees confirm this? I was looking to get a tv from costco soon. I read this on their website: Since Costco is not an authorized dealer for this product, the manufacturer
155 replies
Dec 15, 2006
196 posts
I've been thinking about getting a TV too, I hope we can get some answers
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1927 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto
I heard about this change as well. If you are not satisfied with the product (eletronics), you may return it within 30 days, after that if the product is found to be defective you may return it within 90 days from day of purchase.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2001
2845 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
I was at Costco just before New Year's and an employee mentioned that this policy was going to apply to everything. He specifically mentioned that there have been too many abuse cases where customers have purchased TV's, brought them in a year later, got their money back and then went and bought bigger and better. He also mentioned someone bought a houseload of furniture and returned that many months later.

I was buying an office chair at the time and the box was quite crushed - that is why the conversation came up because of my concerns that if I had to return it because parts fell out of the hole in the box, that they might give me a hard time.
Dec 15, 2006
196 posts
If this is true, it really sucks. The main reason I was considering Costco was because of the reliable return policy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5641 posts
1410 upvotes
i hope it's true

pisses me off when i see people returning stuff that you know they've used and no longer need
Banned
Dec 12, 2005
9328 posts
804 upvotes
But are they offering the same "2 years extended warranty" carrot that the US outlets do, or is this just a pure scam?

I mean, why buy at Costco if you are getting a Walmart return policy? There has to be something given to the consumer, like the US stores, or I just don't shop there anymore.

And no, I have yet to return anything to Costco, but I bought a TV, small fridge and portable AC only because of their no-hassle return policies, and would never have under the new policy.
Banned
Dec 12, 2005
9328 posts
804 upvotes
sparrow_69 wrote: Is this what will be replaced with a 90 day warranty, or will the 90 days only be a satisfaction policy, and not if there is an actual problem with the tv?
If Costco was actually trying to curb abuse, that would be the logical thing to do, but if the company has ulterior motives and wants to save cash on employees and paperwork, then limiting any and all returns to 90 days, no matter the reason, would be a possible strategy.

But if Costco wants to ask members to essentially pay fees to shop at Walmart, then they might be in for a rude awakening.
Apr 14, 2007
39 posts
mississauga
good to hear this.i believe that there are more abusers than honest shoppers...after all, this is RFD, where we find the best deal at all cost!!!!i know a few people who have been abusing costco for so many times now....!!!!
Banned
Dec 12, 2005
9328 posts
804 upvotes
Why would any consumer be HAPPY about this?

I have never returned a single item to Costco, and I'm pissed, as anyone logically should be. The only reason to cheer is if you own a Costco or are just a jealous dickweed who's never shopped there and never will.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19266 posts
1753 upvotes
I don't know why this is news. There is a GIGANTIC sign in Costco about this change. It's been there for at least a month when I was last there. It only applies to electronics and computers. Says right on the sign.

Makes sense to me. You should not be able to return electronics or computers after 90 days and get a full refund if the item is in working order.
Dec 15, 2006
196 posts
brunes wrote: I don't know why this is news. There is a GIGANTIC sign in Costco about this change. It's been there for at least a month when I was last there.
Maybe we don't all go to the same Costco as you. I've been in several in 3 different provinces in the last few months and haven't seen this gigantic sign in any of them.

And this seems like a rather blunt way of dealing with abuse, quite frankly. I highly doubt that "there are more abusers than honest shoppers," that's just stupid. I've never had to return anything to Costco, but I like the peace of mind that comes with knowing they have a good policy. Costco is membership based which means it should be easy to track and eliminate abuse.

It's a cop out to change a policy like this and blame abusers. If someone keeps returning working electronics, ban their membership, don't punish honest consumers. I'm continually surprised at how many people on this site, which should stand for consumer rights, tow the corporate line from all these companies. They have armies of PR people and lawyers, they don't need your help.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4957 posts
952 upvotes
to be honnest the abusers are the ones you guys should be angry at... everytime I check these forums some idiot is bragging about how he returned a 2 year old tv to costco paid the difference and got a new one .... (what is this?) being cheap is one thing... but if u cant justify ur purchases within 90 days... then ebay it .. thank the abusers
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8707 posts
1658 upvotes
akz wrote: to be honnest the abusers are the ones you guys should be angry at... everytime I check these forums some idiot is bragging about how he returned a 2 year old tv to costco paid the difference and got a new one .... (what is this?) being cheap is one thing... but if u cant justify ur purchases within 90 days... then ebay it .. thank the abusers
+1. In total agreement because when people do things like this we all pay for it in the end. Do people really think that stores are simply going to eat these losses?
Dec 15, 2006
196 posts
Frankie3s wrote: +1. In total agreement because when people do things like this we all pay for it in the end. Do people really think that stores are simply going to eat these losses?
You guys are just totally buying into the myth that these companies promote that there are tonnes of abusers cutting into their profits. Have you seen any statistics on Costco returns, or more specifically presumed abuses? I think it's highly likely that there are a very small number of people that abuse these types of policies, it's just a convenient excuse to make things harder for the vast majority of legitimate consumers. I expect it out of normal retailers, but I'm not going to take it from one where I pay to shop. I'm with Vinman, I'm not paying a membership fee for Wal-Mart customer service.
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11336 posts
480 upvotes
Toronto
ChromeSushi wrote: You guys are just totally buying into the myth that these companies promote that there are tonnes of abusers cutting into their profits. Have you seen any statistics on Costco returns, or more specifically presumed abuses? I think it's highly likely that there are a very small number of people that abuse these types of policies, it's just a convenient excuse to make things harder for the vast majority of legitimate consumers. I expect it out of normal retailers, but I'm not going to take it from one where I pay to shop. I'm with Vinman, I'm not paying a membership fee for Wal-Mart customer service.
There's something you don't read every day...

There's no such sign at my local Costcos. There is one, though, that promises 100% satisfaction, guaranteed. I would never return a product as late as suggested above, or use it as an 'upgrade' service, but I value their guarantee for what it is, a guarantee. If they respect that, I'll keep shopping there.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7805 posts
982 upvotes
ChromeSushi wrote: You guys are just totally buying into the myth that these companies promote that there are tonnes of abusers cutting into their profits. Have you seen any statistics on Costco returns, or more specifically presumed abuses? I think it's highly likely that there are a very small number of people that abuse these types of policies, it's just a convenient excuse to make things harder for the vast majority of legitimate consumers. I expect it out of normal retailers, but I'm not going to take it from one where I pay to shop. I'm with Vinman, I'm not paying a membership fee for Wal-Mart customer service.
Costco has a return allowance. When their allowance is broken they figure they're losing money compared to their customer service. So yes, it is a few people ruining it for the rest of us. Remember, Costco has been around for a while, and has had a great return policy for a while. The *******s who "upgrade" TV's, computers, and laptops made Costco revoke their return policy.

If only Costco could get away with revoking these people's memberships without raising a stink, that would be perfect.
Dec 15, 2006
196 posts
HowEver wrote: There's no such sign at my local Costcos. There is one, though, that promises 100% satisfaction, guaranteed. I would never return a product as late as suggested above, or use it as an 'upgrade' service, but I value their guarantee for what it is, a guarantee. If they respect that, I'll keep shopping there.
I may be mistaken, but I believe that guarantee is a membership guarantee - i.e. if you are unsatisfied with service you can get a refund on your membership, not any particular transaction. I'm sure there will soon be a time limit imposed on that too. Because of the 'abusers' of course.
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11336 posts
480 upvotes
Toronto
ChromeSushi wrote: I may be mistaken, but I believe that guarantee is a membership guarantee - i.e. if you are unsatisfied with service you can get a refund on your membership, not any particular transaction. I'm sure there will soon be a time limit imposed on that too. Because of the 'abusers' of course.
The sign at my Costco says there are two guarantees, one about the membership, once about the items you buy. I'll take a picture next time I'm there.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)