Shopping Discussion

Costco Canada changing return policy for tvs?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2010 5:33 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2002
13524 posts
4710 upvotes
Tri-Cities (BC)
ChromeSushi wrote: If this is true, it really sucks. The main reason I was considering Costco was because of the reliable return policy.
or taking the advantage of the "longer" return policy...this should have been changed a long time ago, ppl abusing the policies...
=^.^= Past Wins:
[2019] SFL: 1 Year / [2021] Sbux Summer: 1 Week Bakery, Flipp Appinions: IOGO Survey, $20 GC
[2022] Sbux Summer: $100 e-Gift Card, SFL: 100 Stars
[2023] Sbux Summer: Multiple GCs totaling $135 (family), SFL: $20 GC
Dec 31, 1969
From my pov it will be a shame when the policy changes a' la USA. I can see it happening though, and not just by the anecdotes on this site.

This past Labour Day weekend we were into our local Costco and the returns line was long. In it was this fat pig with an equally bbbiiiiiiggg stainless bbq. You know the one ..stood center isle all summer ..about $2k. Anyway, he was gloating to all in the line how he had his annual pigout with the friends and neighbours and now was returning it for a refund ..and maybe some extra $$ for his time and trouble in getting back onto his truck, etc. The unit was totally gross. Folks around him were giving it (and him) a wide berth. I can only assume he got what his loud mouth demanded.

Yep, folks like that are who screw it for everyone else. After electronics, it will probably be seasonal stuff as well, and yes, it will be just an exclusive WalMart club instead.

Gad.. it's good to be Canadian, eh!
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2007
1065 posts
1737 upvotes
BC
I find it amusing how much effort and time vivman and chromesushi are spending extolling the evilness of corporations and the rightness of their virtues. I can think of a million things to do other than get worked up over a silly Costco policy. Costco can do whatever they want regardless if you're paying a membership fee or not.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4758 posts
130 upvotes
Oakville
I've got a half dozen new items that I want to return, but I have not found the receipt yet. One is getting close to 7 months - the WD 160Gb passport drive, but it's still sealed and never opened.

I am certainly not abusing the policy if I have not used the items. I just have to dig in the pile of receipts in my office (which is quite an archaeological dig).

Now, I do have a first hand story from a Costco staffer who works in the Ancaster store who processed a return a couple years back now. It was a 10 year old TV, where the owner said he wasn't happy with it. Costco refunded the full purchase price. If he didn't have a receipt, it would have been the last selling price which by then would have zeroed out on the inventory system.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2003
1265 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a 42 Akai plasma in April.

Got a PS3 recently, within two weeks, and it looks awful, I have never seen such burn-in.

Bascially any menu or anything is in the background for a good two or three seconds.

Is it abusing the policy to want to return this TV and replace with it a Viewsonic LCD which will not have the same problems?

I do not want to carry my TV in and wait in line to have those problems.

More importantly, does the new 90 policy apply only to new TVs?
Feb 13, 2002
344 posts
Scarborough
I kinda quickly browsed the thread... I'm confused as to the logic here.

If Costco will accept the return as is their policy, how is it abuse? To me, you're saying that going 98 km/h on a 100 km/h limit highway is abuse. You're within the posted policy, but near the upper end of it. I'm sorry, I agree that their rules are too lax, and it results in the store being taken advantage of, but it's their policy, not mine.

Now if what you're saying is, people who return things that are in perfect working order 1-2 years later are abusing it, I kind of see that, but still, they're within Costco's policy. It's up to Costco to change it, not us to not use it. If you won a ridiculous amount of money in the lottery, say $50 million, would you only take $25 million, because "it's too much"? Costco gives what is essentially lifetime return, but "it's too much" so I'll limit myself to a certain timeframe, and berate those who don't.

Those that say "you're ruining it for the rest of us". Ruining what? The ability to return items 1-2 years later because Costco might change policy due to it? So you don't want someone else to do it now so that you can later? I don't get it.

As for the policy changing, I have a close relative who works at a GTA Costco returns desk, and has for 12 years. She has heard of no such change, and kind of laughed when I asked her about it on Monday night.

Pete
Dec 15, 2006
196 posts
ChromeSushi wrote: If this is true, it really sucks. The main reason I was considering Costco was because of the reliable return policy.
BestOffer wrote: or taking the advantage of the "longer" return policy...
Ooo, you got me! Aren't I embarrassed...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9475 posts
1610 upvotes
Hmmm, I'll have to check with my local costco. I want to return my 37 viewsonic. the component imput is acting a bit wonky and HDMI is a very (very slight) snow/rain artifacts. I really don't care to "upgrade" just straight exchange for another 37. I can live with these slight issues but I'd rather not.

Gonna visit the Burlington Costco and see what they say, always pick up Turkey breast cold cuts as well :) great price on the 2pack. -sg

btw, purchases last nov-06
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11471 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
Next time you're in the store, go to the desk and ask your questions. Burn-in of that nature less than a year later doesn't sound acceptable. This sounds like a valid return. Get the name of the customer service person who agrees with this, and then take it back knowing that it's okay, and you haven't made an extra, heavy, visit to the store.

Lord Denning wrote: I bought a 42 Akai plasma in April.

Got a PS3 recently, within two weeks, and it looks awful, I have never seen such burn-in.

Bascially any menu or anything is in the background for a good two or three seconds.

Is it abusing the policy to want to return this TV and replace with it a Viewsonic LCD which will not have the same problems?

I do not want to carry my TV in and wait in line to have those problems.

More importantly, does the new 90 policy apply only to new TVs?
Dec 25, 2006
659 posts
17 upvotes
Woodstock, NB
I think the 90day returns is now official .. one of my local costcos now has 90day return stickers on every single electronic product (cameras, computers, tvs, ipods, etc)

previous purchases are grandfathered, but from now on any electronic purchase will be 90 return.

personally this will now make me think twice about buying at costco, even though my returns are rare, I still like the protection if something does go wrong.

In the over the past few months I have bought a 360, ipod touch, dvd recorder, digital camera, and 42'' pioneer plasma at costco. I do not plan on returning these, but if something was to happen to them (within reason), I like having the return policy in place.

I think my next electronic purchases will be at other stores that offer extended warranty.

Sorry Costco, but this change will definitely affect my purchases, now there is no advantage in buying electronics at costco.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1845 posts
160 upvotes
Vancouver
WolfDV wrote: I think the 90day returns is now official .. one of my local costcos now has 90day return stickers on every single electronic product (cameras, computers, tvs, ipods, etc)

previous purchases are grandfathered, but from now on any electronic purchase will be 90 return.

personally this will now make me think twice about buying at costco, even though my returns are rare, I still like the protection if something does go wrong.

In the over the past few months I have bought a 360, ipod touch, dvd recorder, digital camera, and 42'' pioneer plasma at costco. I do not plan on returning these, but if something was to happen to them (within reason), I like having the return policy in place.

I think my next electronic purchases will be at other stores that offer extended warranty.

Sorry Costco, but this change will definitely affect my purchases, now there is no advantage in buying electronics at costco.
Can you tell me which Costco location this is? I will get in touch with this location and find out if in fact this is something official. I personally have yet to hear ANYTHING about any changes to the return policy. Since I work for Costco, I should be able to confirm if your location is part of a pilot program.

GYR8
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7963 posts
1142 upvotes
ItzPetey wrote: I kinda quickly browsed the thread... I'm confused as to the logic here.

If Costco will accept the return as is their policy, how is it abuse? To me, you're saying that going 98 km/h on a 100 km/h limit highway is abuse. You're within the posted policy, but near the upper end of it. I'm sorry, I agree that their rules are too lax, and it results in the store being taken advantage of, but it's their policy, not mine.

Now if what you're saying is, people who return things that are in perfect working order 1-2 years later are abusing it, I kind of see that, but still, they're within Costco's policy. It's up to Costco to change it, not us to not use it. If you won a ridiculous amount of money in the lottery, say $50 million, would you only take $25 million, because "it's too much"? Costco gives what is essentially lifetime return, but "it's too much" so I'll limit myself to a certain timeframe, and berate those who don't.

Those that say "you're ruining it for the rest of us". Ruining what? The ability to return items 1-2 years later because Costco might change policy due to it? So you don't want someone else to do it now so that you can later? I don't get it.

As for the policy changing, I have a close relative who works at a GTA Costco returns desk, and has for 12 years. She has heard of no such change, and kind of laughed when I asked her about it on Monday night.

Pete
Your arguments suck. I just wanted to point out that it was abused, so indeed Costco has changed it.

Returning an item for a pure upgrade, without loss of functional ability, and having Costco take the loss for it is abuse. People are angry about the abuse and "ruining it" not so they can abuse it themselves, rather now they have to suffer because of the"abuse" when they want to return for LEGITIMATE reasons.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2005
2118 posts
119 upvotes
ItzPetey wrote: I kinda quickly browsed the thread... I'm confused as to the logic here.

Pete
While I agree that if a store has a policy in place, consumers should be allowed to make use of them. However, I think part of the problem is that the INTENTION of the policy is to better serve customers not to abuse them.

As a business, they are clearly there to make money, and policies such as lax return policies do cost them money. However, as long as they are not exceedingly abused, the increased customers they receive because of more open policies make it worthwhile. If however the policies are taken advantage of, they do become closed up.

Remember when Walmart used to have an unlimited time frame for returns, and their once extremely lax policy of taking returns without receipts? I doubt the reason that policy was in place was so that people could go to used book stores, buy all their old magazines, and return them for full price that they still had on their shelves. Just because the policy was open to that loophole doesn't mean it's alright to abuse. Same with say buying from one store and "returning" to another store for store credit. I've seen before a lady that CLEARLY had purchased toys from a toy warehouse (MIKO/SAMKO) and brought the whole bag to walmart to return, keeping them in their signiture giant red bags. They took about 50% of her stuff back because it scanned and was in their system; the others were not "returnable" because Walmart didn't sell the items. I'd call that abuse and reason to remove the no receipt policy.
Dec 20, 2007
603 posts
47 upvotes
Just a quick FYI... in the last year or so I have not seen a single TV at Costco that will deliver flawless picture that you speak of. The reason is that the costco models are older and lack features that eliminate picture issues. The viewsonic is not a great tv and you will not get a better model if you return it since they are all that way. Yes it does 1080P but the contrast and noise issues are poor. If you are looking for a decent tv at a great price go to Costco. If you are looking for an awesome tv at a decent price go to FS/BB etc.
Nov 8, 2007
37 posts
WolfDV wrote: I think the 90day returns is now official .. one of my local costcos now has 90day return stickers on every single electronic product (cameras, computers, tvs, ipods, etc)
So far, my local Costco has no 90 day stickers at all. I just bought an Xbox 360 that was dead out of the box. Exchanged for another one.

Was told 100 % satisfaction on both the products and the Costco membership.
So, I am guessing that this new policy is probably going to start taking effect bit by bit.

Does this mean that any purchases made while the 100 % guarantee (no time limit) was in place would continue to carry that same guarantee ?
How would you prove it 6 months from now as none of the receipts have anything written on them ?

I bought the Xbox at Costco as I got a great bundle deal but also because the 360 has a terrible history of problems with repairs. I cannot find any other store that allows straight exchange on defective units instead of having to send them off to repairs for 1-3 weeks to Microsoft.

I figure my membership cost for even two years gives me very good peace of mind, particularly on a $519.00 piece of electronics that could fail anytime.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2005
3011 posts
135 upvotes
Mtl
GYR8 wrote: Can you tell me which Costco location this is? I will get in touch with this location and find out if in fact this is something official. I personally have yet to hear ANYTHING about any changes to the return policy. Since I work for Costco, I should be able to confirm if your location is part of a pilot program.

GYR8
I would also like to know. MTL costco's have no such change in return policy.

GYR8: tks for the PM. Pls keep us posted!
Banned
Dec 12, 2005
9328 posts
804 upvotes
ItzPetey wrote: Those that say "you're ruining it for the rest of us". Ruining what? The ability to return items 1-2 years later because Costco might change policy due to it? So you don't want someone else to do it now so that you can later? I don't get it.
No, you obviously don't get it. :lol:

Listen up dude.

Right now, totally apart from the "satisfaction guarantee", Costco offers a no-hassle return on defective goods, for the full value of the product's warranty, be that 1, 2 or 3 years. I have confirmed this on the phone, and again, this is not a lifetime warranty.

But now that Costco is looking at a 90-day return window, regardless of reason, don't you see the point now? 90-days is far less than the previous 1, 2 or 3-year warranty in-store coverage right? Under the upcoming plan, if I buy a TV with a 2 year warranty, and it blows up in 6 months, I'm on my own to contact the manufacturer, and may not even be covered by the warranty, as Costco is not usually an authorized dealer.

If this is in some way unclear as to what the REAL changes are, please PM me and I'll explain it in even more detail.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
1037 posts
66 upvotes
GYR8 wrote: So which location did you see 'every tv with a big sticker on it'?

GYR8
Calgary NW, big 90 stickers on TVs, etc.
And a letter attached to the boxes too.

If it is a test program just at a few stores, let me know, I'll cancel my membership for refund to get the message out.
Everyone should.

I never took advantange of the old return policy but it was the reason I paid to shop at Costco.
Banned
Dec 12, 2005
9328 posts
804 upvotes
DoneDeal wrote: If it is a test program just at a few stores, let me know, I'll cancel my membership for refund to get the message out.
Everyone should.
Not to mention bringing back a pile of electronics for full refund, since I do not trust them to abide by the old plan, once the new one has been in place for a while.

This happened in the US, and people have been hassled for returning a faulty TV bought prior to the 90-day return being instituted. They get their TV replaced, but it can be a monster pain in the neck.

I'd rather return my Viewsonic now, and buy a Sony, LG, Samsung, etc at FS?BB, than to get into a fight at the Costco counter if it does blow up. Life is too short to have to deal with warranty for a 3rd-tier POS brand.
Dec 25, 2006
659 posts
17 upvotes
Woodstock, NB
GYR8 wrote: Can you tell me which Costco location this is? I will get in touch with this location and find out if in fact this is something official. I personally have yet to hear ANYTHING about any changes to the return policy. Since I work for Costco, I should be able to confirm if your location is part of a pilot program.

GYR8
this was at the westend Costco (yellowhead) in edmonton

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)