Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Costco Canada - Samsung Galaxy S2 (Even LTE) + $125 Costco Card

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2011 4:04 pm
[OP]
Sep 4, 2006
14 posts
T.Dot

[Costco] Costco Canada - Samsung Galaxy S2 (Even LTE) + $125 Costco Card

Hi All,

I just received an email promo from Costco (Canada) and they had some great phone deals for Android phones. They're all based on new contracts, luckily mine just ended with Rogers.

Bell/Virgin Samsung S2 - $98.99 + Receive a $125 Costco Cash Card

Rogers Samsung S2 LTE - $179.99 + Receive a $125 Costco Cash Card

[IMG]http://content.costco.ca/Images/Content ... 1_EN02.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://content.costco.ca/Images/Content ... N03_v2.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://content.costco.ca/Images/Content ... EN04_v.gif[/IMG]

__
Rick
32 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1790 posts
284 upvotes
I never owned a phone before and I'm looking to get a new one. What is the difference between LTE and non LTE
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1193 upvotes
Montreal
BobTheSnake wrote: I never owned a phone before and I'm looking to get a new one. What is the difference between LTE and non LTE

looks like GSM vs non-GSM, someone correct me
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10339 posts
580 upvotes
Toronto
marc_t wrote: looks like GSM vs non-GSM, someone correct me

LTE is an add-on to 4G..

4G speeds are 14.4mb/sec and up

Phones with LTE can go up to 75mb/sec

Rogers and Bell just launched their LTE networks
[removed for signature violation]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1790 posts
284 upvotes
Does these phone require 3 years contracts?

Also for a new subscriber (I have all my stuff with rogers), should I go with rogers since I have all my stuff with them meaning better deal, or for a new customer, I'm just stuck with what any of the providers offers and can't get a good deal?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1314 upvotes
Sauga
Do these cash card offers from Costco get any better around Christmas/Boxing Day?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
6383 posts
2348 upvotes
Calgary
shaolinmonk wrote: LTE is an add-on to 4G..

4G speeds are 14.4mb/sec and up

Phones with LTE can go up to 75mb/sec

Rogers and Bell just launched their LTE networks
hspa+ can do 42mbps, but LTE still blow it out of the water at 75mbps. (and much much higher with future planned versions of LTE, up to 300Mbps)

The difference is the speed, however, without an LTE plan, which some consider to be a bit of a premium cost, the feature is useless.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
6052 posts
564 upvotes
Vancouver
Where LTE shines is when you tether the phone to a laptop/computer or use the phone as a wifi hotspot.

Don't think the speeds make much of a difference when using the phone itself.
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12222 posts
148 upvotes
Shame this isnt offered for Mobilicity.
WTB: A Dance With Dragons from A Song of Ice and Fire
Jan 19, 2010
315 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
First LTE sucks battery back and is not very power efficient - it's first gen.

Second the speed gains once the network gets saturated will be nearly invisible during normal use.

My suggestion: Don't pay for Bells/Rogers's network; if they give it to you same price great take it. Don't get sucked into a contract that you will regret later.

Most importantly: Dual Band HSPA+ is probably just as good as LTE in real world performance.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2282 posts
852 upvotes
Can we just extend our existing contract? I'm a little new to the world of LTE
Dec 19, 2009
265 posts
208 upvotes
Calgary
kenvin100 wrote: Can we just extend our existing contract? I'm a little new to the world of LTE

I tried taking advantage of the costco cash card deals and it doesn't work on contract renewals or extensions. The cash cards are only available to new customer contracts
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
6052 posts
564 upvotes
Vancouver
kenvin100 wrote: Can we just extend our existing contract? I'm a little new to the world of LTE

LTE is not plan related, it's hardware related. If your phone is not LTE ready, you won't get LTE speeds on any other phone.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1778 posts
1280 upvotes
Does it allow you to download >20mb files?
I am on Rogers and with an iphone. It doesn't let me download any files (or maybe just apps?) bigger than 20mb. Maybe android let's you do that. The faster speed wouldn't be that noticeable if just loading web pages, IMO.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2831 posts
2642 upvotes
BobTheSnake wrote: I never owned a phone before and I'm looking to get a new one. What is the difference between LTE and non LTE

haha never owned a phone before. alexander, is that you?

LTE is what "4G" was supposed to be. instead the carriers were dicks and used "4G" to refer to their 3G HSPA+ networks.

LTE is a newer technology, but that means the phones need additional LTE chips , which means more power use.

LTE today has very limited coverage, and the speed isn't much better than HSPA+, so normal people can't tell the difference.

LTE also operates on different bands, so right now the current LTE phones will not work with the new 800mhz LTE network that will be built 2013+.

the 800mhz network will be the biggest change in cell phones since data, so LTE today is not compelling. Don't fear or love LTE today, just ignore it. You'll care about LTE in 4 years when the 800mhz network exists in canada.

the galaxy s2 LTE is a different phone than galaxy s2. it has a bigger screen, different chips. it is just a different phone.

the new galaxy nexus is potentially more lovable than either of these phones. but all phones will be obsoleted a year after birth.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21125 posts
5804 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
BobTheSnake wrote: Does these phone require 3 years contracts?

Also for a new subscriber (I have all my stuff with rogers), should I go with rogers since I have all my stuff with them meaning better deal, or for a new customer, I'm just stuck with what any of the providers offers and can't get a good deal?

Yes, you must activate with a 3 year contract to get the rebates.
I know this because I received the same promo and read the fine print.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2282 posts
852 upvotes
aznlgcy wrote: I tried taking advantage of the costco cash card deals and it doesn't work on contract renewals or extensions. The cash cards are only available to new customer contracts
thanks bro..in that case, I'll stick to my 3G iphone, till it completely dies..just not worth it for me