• Feb 25th, 2019 9:36 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 26, 2011
277 posts
56 upvotes
Ottawa
PSA - these pods work best under two conditions:
1. HOT water (use the hottest temp for the longest period)
2. leave some food on your plates.

There's an enzyme process that requires a substrate in order for cleaning to occur. So, don't pre-clean your dishes. These pods actually work better with some food left on the dishes.

And, yes, don't buy anything other than the Platinum or Quantum.

Cheers
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3645 posts
784 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 9:16 am
I also had problems with Finish powerball type pods which over time eventually left a brown greasy residue. I also had to use the finish cleaner to get rid of the residue.

There have been other complaints on the internet about the same greasy residue. It looks like it’s caused by a combination of (low) water temperature and water type (hardness/ minerals).

Cascade pods don’t seem to have this problem for me
So you had to run 2 rinses to get the dishes completely clean?

My issue with the powerball was it occasionally would leave some sauce on the dishes. So far, I haven't had that issue with the Cascade. The annoying thing was, since I bought the box from Costco, I had to use a lot before I was able to buy a different brand.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2126 posts
1443 upvotes
SW Ontario
shanjam wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 10:44 am
PSA - these pods work best under two conditions:
1. HOT water (use the hottest temp for the longest period)
2. leave some food on your plates.

There's an enzyme process that requires a substrate in order for cleaning to occur. So, don't pre-clean your dishes. These pods actually work better with some food left on the dishes.

And, yes, don't buy anything other than the Platinum or Quantum.

Cheers
I am forever cleaning out the trap basket as getting the kids to somewhat clean off the dishes before putting them in has been a hassle ... probably why we are getting great results ... the dirtier they go in, the cleaner they come out LOL
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14263 posts
3594 upvotes
London
boonjaca wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 10:58 am
So you had to run 2 rinses to get the dishes completely clean?

My issue with the powerball was it occasionally would leave some sauce on the dishes. So far, I haven't had that issue with the Cascade. The annoying thing was, since I bought the box from Costco, I had to use a lot before I was able to buy a different brand.
No, the dishes are completely clean, but the inside surfaces of the dishwasher itself have a greasy brown film that develops over several months
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3645 posts
784 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 11:34 am
No, the dishes are completely clean, but the inside surfaces of the dishwasher itself have a greasy brown film that develops over several months
Have you tried using Finish® Additive Dishwasher Cleaner, they sell as a 3 pack at Costco for I think around $10 on sale. My colleague uses it once per month in his dishwasher.

Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
4317 posts
1385 upvotes
What's the point of a dishwasher cleaner? Or a washing machine cleaner for that matter? Shouldn't it be clean from running a sanitary cycle?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3125 posts
803 upvotes
Mississauga
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 7:26 pm
X2 ... wife tells me to never buy Cascade again for the same exact reasons.

She insists we only use Finish Quantum
this has been my experience as well. The finish quantums reliably get everything clean with 1 puck whereas with the cascade i need to use 2. It should be worth noting that I am not the most dilligent at rinsing everything before I put it in the dishwasher lol
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14263 posts
3594 upvotes
London
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 11:49 am
IMO it's probably grease ...

What Causes Brown Residue in a Dishwasher
Yes, probably is grease but cascade doesn’t have the same problem for my specific set of conditions - normal dishwasher water temperature and GTA water hardness/ mineral content
boonjaca wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 12:29 pm
Have you tried using Finish® Additive Dishwasher Cleaner, they sell as a 3 pack at Costco for I think around $10 on sale. My colleague uses it once per month in his dishwasher. ...
Yes, that’s how I got rid of the brown film residue. Also, since switching back to cascade the inside of the machine has stayed clean

It looks to me that Finish needs a much higher water temperature vs Cascade
Last edited by l69norm on Feb 12th, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2126 posts
1443 upvotes
SW Ontario
vivibaby wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 12:53 pm
What's the point of a dishwasher cleaner? Or a washing machine cleaner for that matter? Shouldn't it be clean from running a sanitary cycle?
Never understood that one either ... a cleaner to clean the cleaner.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4003 posts
955 upvotes
Vancouver
This does not ship outside of GTA I believe. I can't proceed to payment here in BC. Great deal though.

And yes, don't pre-wash your dishes, it wastes water and kind of defeats the purpose of a dishwasher? Modern dishwashers and detergents can do amazing things. Scrape off large chunks of food but things like baked on sauces can stay. You can also help the hot water along by running the tap first.
Removed external link in signature.
Aug 8, 2006
3 posts
1 upvote
The Kirkland brand detergent works great in our dishwasher. And it's cheaper than this price everyday.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
1277 posts
757 upvotes
I prefer the regular Cascade - 110 tabs/tubs if you buy it on sale for 14.xx (warehouse price).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24599 posts
10050 upvotes
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 1:02 pm
Never understood that one either ... a cleaner to clean the cleaner.
I mean... it's not quite the same, but do you ever change your shower towel?
Why? You're clean when you come out. You should be able to use it forever.

I would imagine this stuff has something in it to remove the gunk that's left over that's not meant to dissolve under dishwashing product.