• Sep 22nd, 2019 3:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1380 posts
653 upvotes
Vancouver

[Costco] Casio Priva PX-780 Digital Piano $749.99

Seems like the last day for this price. I've been looking at digital pianos for a beginner and the PX-780 seems like a well recommended model. It's $200 off, I believe it's been this price before.

Any thoughts?
20 replies
Jun 28, 2015
105 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto, ON
For just light at-home usage, I picked up a PX-100 off kijiji for about $150. Has the same fully-weighted keys, it's just a really old model. Can't beat the value though
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14175 posts
3230 upvotes
Seems like a good price. If you search this site for this model, it's been on sale for less. You'd expect the price to go down as technology improves, but the dollar is weaker now.

I've been looking for a used digital piano and sellers vastly overvalue their 10-15 year old pianos.

Don't forget Aeroplan.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1380 posts
653 upvotes
Vancouver
Lone_Prodigy wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 5:49 pm
Seems like a good price. If you search this site for this model, it's been on sale for less. You'd expect the price to go down as technology improves, but the dollar is weaker now.

I've been looking for a used digital piano and sellers vastly overvalue their 10-15 year old pianos.

Don't forget Aeroplan.
Yes, I'm surprised at how hard it is to find a reasonably priced used digital piano. There's no end to them, but the savings just aren't enough.
Jan 19, 2010
294 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone provide some thoughts/comparisons between the PX-780 and the Casio CDP240 that Costco has for 499?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2013
1030 posts
683 upvotes
St Catharines
fromano wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 8:05 pm
Can anyone provide some thoughts/comparisons between the PX-780 and the Casio CDP240 that Costco has for 499?
The PX cabinet is a substantial improvement; being bigger, it houses a much better speaker system, which helps it sound more like a real piano instead of a keyboard. The actual key system of the PX is much better. The PX supports half pedaling. There are a bunch more differences, with the point in the end being that the PX will give you a more realistic experience than the CDP will. For the $250 difference, definitely worth it. The CDP is a good casual/starter piano but the urge to upgrade will hit very soon, the PX will keep you happy for quite a while longer.

Read reviews at:
PX-780:
https://azpianonews.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... -best.html

CDP-235 (similar to CDP-240):
https://azpianonews.blogspot.com/2017/0 ... ostco.html
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2478 posts
1918 upvotes
Oakville
I miss the Celviano model they used to sell for $1200 on sale Regular $1500.
-ZdpZ... ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1380 posts
653 upvotes
Vancouver
Asides from the price difference, I've read some mixed impressions. The thinner chassis means a thinner hammer action. While still comparable, it's supposed to be slightly inferior. That said, all the new tech in it is always appealing. I wouldn't mind a bluetooth connection to my tablets.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10055 posts
1530 upvotes
The hammer action doesn't take a lot of space, Casio markets the S1000 as an upgrade to PX160 and its action is expected to be used in other upcoming models. They both are similar to be honest but what I like is its size, ability to use AA battery (cordless) and the new action is so much quieter than the PX160.
https://www.soundtechnology.com.au/imag ... sensor.JPG
PharaohsVizier wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 11:10 pm
Asides from the price difference, I've read some mixed impressions. The thinner chassis means a thinner hammer action. While still comparable, it's supposed to be slightly inferior. That said, all the new tech in it is always appealing. I wouldn't mind a bluetooth connection to my tablets.
Jan 29, 2010
605 posts
365 upvotes
I’m all for buying second-handed musical instruments. But I recall playing my digital piano until the keys’ weights were off and having trouble getting some keys to make a sound. Didn’t help that fixing the keys costed a fortune for the then 10 year old piano. My parents sold it after I left home, was really a waste of space as it was a pain to play.

Having played multiple instruments including guitar, trombone and clarinet, I would recommend people to play guitar. Not expensive to get a good one and they lasts a lifetime. Good for singalongs and solos as well. I don’t regret learning the piano though as all my music theory came from piano. Definitely helped me understand the guitar very quickly.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3869 posts
761 upvotes
PharaohsVizier wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 7:28 pm
Yes, I'm surprised at how hard it is to find a reasonably priced used digital piano. There's no end to them, but the savings just aren't enough.
The odd thing is even at over-valued prices, they often get sold within days.
signature closed for renovation
Sep 15, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
i've done my fair bit of research into digital pianos, maybe 100 hours or so over the last 2 years. Roland and Kawaii seem to be the best brands as far as reliability and key action is concerned, more specifically, in NAMM (National Assocation of Music Merchants) January 2019, Roland announced a budget version of its already $1000 cheap keyboard the fp-30, with the $699 CAD Roland FP-10 sporting the same PHA-4 keyboard action with triple sensor. Triple sensor just means instead of having to go all the way up and down the key for a trill, or a partial note, you can make partial notes with a tri sensor. All in all, for $50 cheaper, it's a no brainer to go for the Roland FP-10, which you can find at merriam music or best buy. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ro ... 51&irgwc=1

Not to mention, the Roland uses a fully modeled soundscape meaning each key is different based on the keypress, whereas the Casio uses a sampled audioset, where recordings were made for each note at different intervals. It's really up to the user which one they prefer, but as far as key action goes the Roland is vastly superior to the Casio.
Sep 15, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
oh one last thing to mention you get $50 off for the next hour if you purchase the keyboard from Best BUy, undercutting the MSRP by $50 to make it $650. pretty warm deal i'd say imho.

edit: it was until 7am , so this deal is dead, its back to 699.99 still i think its' a better keyboard for the price range.
Last edited by cyberjunkmonk2019 on Sep 16th, 2019 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14175 posts
3230 upvotes
recordman wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 5:04 am
The odd thing is even at over-valued prices, they often get sold within days.
I think some parents look at the thousands they'd have to spend on an acoustic and go with the cheaper digital one instead. What if their kid loses interest in piano in a month? It's not something you throw in the back of a truck.

Yes, you can save a lot more with almost free used pianos, but hiring a mover and a technician takes time and effort.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!