Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Casio Priva PX-780 Digital Piano $749.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2019 3:34 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6148 posts
870 upvotes
Lone_Prodigy wrote: I think some parents look at the thousands they'd have to spend on an acoustic and go with the cheaper digital one instead. What if their kid loses interest in piano in a month? It's not something you throw in the back of a truck.

Yes, you can save a lot more with almost free used pianos, but hiring a mover and a technician takes time and effort.
That was exactly my case when I got the Yamaha digital piano from Costco for my son. Don't wanna spend thousands and don't wanna deal with hiring a mover for buying a used one. At lease the digital one I can easily give it away if I don't need it anymore in the future.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1396 posts
778 upvotes
Vancouver
cyberjunkmonk2019 wrote: with the $699 CAD Roland FP-10 sporting the same PHA-4 keyboard action with triple sensor. Triple sensor just means instead of having to go all the way up and down the key for a trill, or a partial note, you can make partial notes with a tri sensor. All in all, for $50 cheaper, it's a no brainer to go for the Roland FP-10
The key action looks good and I think the reviews give the Roland pianos a slight edge. That said, even at $100 cheaper, I'm not sure I'd go for the FP-10. It can only connect to one pedal (no clue how important that is), but more importantly, you're missing the stand, the pedals, the bench, which are all things I'd like to have.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10341 posts
1648 upvotes
Roland FP10/30, Casio PX, Kawai ES110, Yamaha are all good digital pianos, they are all very close (although I found Roland is more a keyboard than piano). Don't focus too much on marketing terms, instead go to a store and try them out. Casio current PX uses triple sensor but their next gen uses a smart-two-sensors system to simulate double escapement (not sure if this is what you mean by "partial note"). ES110 uses two-sensors but it is arguably the best digital on the market in its price category. Acoustic upright actually behaves closer to a two sensor actions so pianists should know how to adapt to the actions on fast repetitive soft notes where double escapement is needed.

FP10 might be same price or $50 cheaper before OP's deal expired but keep in mind that $699 is the keyboard only, the stand/pedal/bench will set you back $200 to $300.

cyberjunkmonk2019 wrote: i've done my fair bit of research into digital pianos, maybe 100 hours or so over the last 2 years. Roland and Kawaii seem to be the best brands as far as reliability and key action is concerned, more specifically, in NAMM (National Assocation of Music Merchants) January 2019, Roland announced a budget version of its already $1000 cheap keyboard the fp-30, with the $699 CAD Roland FP-10 sporting the same PHA-4 keyboard action with triple sensor. Triple sensor just means instead of having to go all the way up and down the key for a trill, or a partial note, you can make partial notes with a tri sensor. All in all, for $50 cheaper, it's a no brainer to go for the Roland FP-10, which you can find at merriam music or best buy. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ro ... 51&irgwc=1

Not to mention, the Roland uses a fully modeled soundscape meaning each key is different based on the keypress, whereas the Casio uses a sampled audioset, where recordings were made for each note at different intervals. It's really up to the user which one they prefer, but as far as key action goes the Roland is vastly superior to the Casio.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
4334 posts
2697 upvotes
mhall1 wrote: For just light at-home usage, I picked up a PX-100 off kijiji for about $150. Has the same fully-weighted keys, it's just a really old model. Can't beat the value though
Good for you, hope you are happy with it. but now that it is sold, bought from you there is no deal there, and there is no need to talk about it her as well. Off topic. ;)
Jun 28, 2015
219 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DoorCrasher wrote: Good for you, hope you are happy with it. but now that it is sold, bought from you there is no deal there, and there is no need to talk about it her as well. Off topic. ;)
I disagree. It was a suggestion for others who might be considering a much more expensive keyboard.