• May 16th, 2021 10:40 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22489 posts
172368 upvotes
GTA

[Costco] Casio PX-780 Digital Piano - $749.99

The Casio PX-780 Digital Piano is on sale at Costco for $749.99. Seems to be a decent price (regular price seems to be somewhere around $1000)

https://www.costco.ca/casio-px-780-digi ... 00476.html

29 replies
Oct 22, 2013
406 posts
250 upvotes
NORTH YORK
thanks will cancel the Alesis Virtue 88-Key and order this
Jan 20, 2005
785 posts
859 upvotes
Toronto
Still waiting on a deal for the PX-8** series. This is a good deal for anyone looking for a PX-7** series, though.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1139 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto
scott_newsgroup wrote: Still waiting on a deal for the PX-8** series. This is a good deal for anyone looking for a PX-7** series, though.
What’s the difference?
JS
Jan 20, 2005
785 posts
859 upvotes
Toronto
James Stonehenge wrote: What’s the difference?
Better sound / speakers, more enclosed frame (this one is more open), and many other better options (for about $150 more once on sale).
Aug 16, 2020
691 posts
124 upvotes
Is there a cheaper piano or keyboard for kid who is 7-8years old and wants to start learning it as fun..
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5095 upvotes
ON
newuserhere wrote: Is there a cheaper piano or keyboard for kid who is 7-8years old and wants to start learning it as fun..
Casio WK240 should get him started. Look on Kijiji for this sort of starter keyboards, then once you're sure he will continue with it you can spend some coin on a more serious and capable instrument.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5095 upvotes
ON
James Stonehenge wrote: What’s the difference?
For the more serious practicioner the 870 has more powerful speakers, lid simulator(different sound on grand piano when lid is open/closed/half), you can half pedal on the 870, resonance simulator(where the string next to the one being hit resonates as a result). Basically stuff that 90% of people listening won't be able to tell but for a musician looking to get the most realistic experience of a grand piano out of an electronic one it will be worth the difference in price. Oh and 256 notes polyphony vs 128 on the 780.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2004
1006 posts
414 upvotes
got it same price 2 yrs ago. Great digital piano
Never again! HTC , Wind Mobile , Air China
Feb 18, 2008
598 posts
1175 upvotes
newuserhere wrote: Is there a cheaper piano or keyboard for kid who is 7-8years old and wants to start learning it as fun..
I bought the CT-S195 with stand and bench in store in February or March. Youngest got it this weekend for her birthday. Downloaded simply piano app by joy tunes on her tablet and I find it great! Didn't try the chordana app so far as I need micro-b to micro-b to connect tablet to piano Grimacing Face
I lost the ability to remember things when I lost the right to a full night's sleep.
Oct 7, 2017
233 posts
393 upvotes
I bought px-770 from Costco for kids. My kids and i love it. The only problem is there is no midi functionality. Do you think J can return it to Costco without the box and get this one instead? Thx
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3346 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
Finally Casio has changed its warranty policy. You do not need to send your piano to their Montreal office for repair. Now they have onsite service, so they will come to your home for repair.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1204 posts
983 upvotes
Vancouver
Pupsik27 wrote: I bought px-770 from Costco for kids. My kids and i love it. The only problem is there is no midi functionality. Do you think J can return it to Costco without the box and get this one instead? Thx
it has a USB port, doesn't that work? if you need to interface a MIDI interface on the other end, there are USB to MIDI cables you can buy as well.
Oct 7, 2017
233 posts
393 upvotes
a_dee wrote: it has a USB port, doesn't that work? if you need to interface a MIDI interface on the other end, there are USB to MIDI cables you can buy as well.
Hmmm, it does have a USB port. But the actual keyboard does not have midi capability built in. Which cable would
Allow me to connect px-760 to an ipad, so my kid can use simply piano?
Mar 17, 2016
189 posts
142 upvotes
a_dee wrote: it has a USB port, doesn't that work? if you need to interface a MIDI interface on the other end, there are USB to MIDI cables you can buy as well.
This won't work. usb to midi cables are for computers
Mar 17, 2016
189 posts
142 upvotes
Pupsik27 wrote: Hmmm, it does have a USB port. But the actual keyboard does not have midi capability built in. Which cable would
Allow me to connect px-760 to an ipad, so my kid can use simply piano?
it's midi over usb. you only need the camera connector for the ipad and a usb a-b cable (like the ones used for printers)
Oct 7, 2017
233 posts
393 upvotes
toastbusters wrote: it's midi over usb. you only need the camera connector for the ipad and a usb a-b cable (like the ones used for printers)
Are you sure about that? Because when i read about this keyboard it said that this usb is for data transfer between pc and keyboard. Midi apparently has to be built in as a feature to
Be able to push the signal through the usb keyboard.
Mar 17, 2016
189 posts
142 upvotes
Pupsik27 wrote: Are you sure about that? Because when i read about this keyboard it said that this usb is for data transfer between pc and keyboard. Midi apparently has to be built in as a feature to
Be able to push the signal through the usb keyboard.
MIDI is a data type.
Oct 7, 2017
233 posts
393 upvotes
toastbusters wrote: MIDI is a data type.
I hope you are right... please check out this comparison between models. PX-780 says it has 1 x 5-Pin MIDI Input
1 x 5-Pin MIDI Output while px-770 does not have any of that information. And when i looked though youtube reviews it was said that 770 does not have midi compatibility. So I do agree with your that midi is a format, however I don't think that having a usb port allows to convert signal into midi format.

Link https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/ ... 363179-REG
Mar 17, 2016
189 posts
142 upvotes
Pupsik27 wrote: I hope you are right... please check out this comparison between models. PX-780 says it has 1 x 5-Pin MIDI Input
1 x 5-Pin MIDI Output while px-770 does not have any of that information. And when i looked though youtube reviews it was said that 770 does not have midi compatibility. So I do agree with your that midi is a format, however I don't think that having a usb port allows to convert signal into midi format.

Link https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/ ... 363179-REG
I am right. I've owned dozens of keyboards inluding 3 privia models. Most people don't need the 5 pin din connectors as they only connect to an ipad or a computer. The default setting for the USB port on these keyboards is MIDI. For data transfer you have to change the setting . Page 57 of the manual:
https://media.americanmusical.com/ItemF ... manual.pdf