Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

CE smart home wifi smart outlet 2 pack $9.97

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2020 11:06 am
Mar 8, 2004
879 posts
398 upvotes
Barrie
I also bought one these. Can't go wrong at 2 plugs for $9.97

Its just a couple dollars more then a regular dumb plug.

A regular dumb plug at Home Depot is $2.69 and a decora plate for it is $1.07.

This works out to a $1.22 each extra for the smart features. No brainer for me
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2525 posts
1239 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
Good price, good switch. Only these will protect your circuit breaker buy burning out before the circuit breaker can trip. So be sure not to run 15 amps through these.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7133 posts
3736 upvotes
Montreal
Alexandero2 wrote: I interpreted the OP as Costco selling the 2-pack and that the OP bought 2 of them (so matching the listing). Unless that's not the case (has someone seen these inside GTA area Costcos?)

Also, are you speculating on the Amazon seller's supply source or is there a way to see that?
Costco sells a two-pack. OP bought two packs of two, so four total. He's using the Amazon listing as a comparison point for pricing.

If you look at the Amazon listing, you can see the Costco item number above the barcode in the bottom right of each photo. On the second photo (the back of the packaging), you can see "Imported by Costco Wholesale Canada" next to the barcode.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
If you haven’t used these before, smart plugs are more versatile because they can be easily moved. These outlets are typically permanent ideas. So if you decide to move the Christmas tree across the room this year, it’s easier if a smart plug is attached to it vs uninstalling the outlet to go across the room.
Mar 8, 2004
879 posts
398 upvotes
Barrie
AncasterRFD wrote: If you haven’t used these before, smart plugs are more versatile because they can be easily moved. These outlets are typically permanent ideas. So if you decide to move the Christmas tree across the room this year, it’s easier if a smart plug is attached to it vs uninstalling the outlet to go across the room.
Yeah these are only good for permanent fixtures.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: If you haven’t used these before, smart plugs are more versatile because they can be easily moved. These outlets are typically permanent ideas. So if you decide to move the Christmas tree across the room this year, it’s easier if a smart plug is attached to it vs uninstalling the outlet to go across the room.
Very true.

This is for things like central vacs (if you use extra cheap hoses without control wire), or maybe... pool water heater/filter.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Sep 26, 2019
139 posts
254 upvotes
Montreal, QC
For those who may be interested in replacing the stock Tuya firmware with Tasmota, I can confirm that it can be done with tuya-convert (I used a Raspberry Pi to act as the AP for tuya-convert; couldn't get it to work with a laptop and Ubuntu and the docker version of tuya-convert).

I was concerned that the outlet might already contain Tuya's latest firmware (which thwarts tuya-convert). However, it's compatible with tuya-convert. Just don't use the CE app (which may update the outlet's firmware and render it incompatible with tuya-convert).

The Tasmota template for this model of outlet can be found here:
https://templates.blakadder.com/ce_smar ... Q-2W3.html
{"NAME":"LITESUN","GPIO":[0,0,0,0,157,17,0,0,21,0,0,0,0],"FLAG":0,"BASE":18}
FWIW, the blue LEDs are quite bright. If you want a nightlight, this outlet can probably serve as one. If you don't want a nightlight, this outlet's LEDs might prove to be annoying. You could cover them with tape. However, there will be some light-leakage because its white plastic body acts as a diffuser.

On a separate note, the Feit Smart Dimmer switches sold at Costco are also inexpensive (regular price is 3 for ~$39) but the latest version is no longer compatible with tuya-convert. Some people have tried to use the old-school method (where you open the device, connect wires to the appropriate pins, and flash it with Tasmota) only to discover that one of the pins (GPIO0) is located under the chip. To get access to it, you must de-solder the chip from the board. All this to say, it's probably far more work than even the average home automation hobbyist is willing to invest.