• Jan 20th, 2019 11:49 am
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2183 posts
825 upvotes
galantgtz99 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:20 pm
They don't have lock smith in ottawa?
A locksmith would have a hard time reaching their house! It's a city wide blackout, no traffic lights, so 4-way stop every intersection.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Nov 22, 2012
545 posts
257 upvotes
VANCOUVER
bogolisk wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:41 pm
A locksmith would have a hard time reaching their house! It's a city wide blackout, no traffic lights, so 4-way stop every intersection.
Wait you're not joking?

I'm afraid for your sister's family when a real emergency happens.

Staying locked out for days, and worried about some 4 way stops...................................
Dec 31, 2003
956 posts
80 upvotes
Markham
Npno25 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:09 am
Why do people want battery backup? useless feature for me.
As our infrastructure getting aged, it is not uncommon for power outage to happen at severe weather condition, in both summer and winter. A friend of mine garage doesn't have direct access to the house so they got no access to the car inside the garage, and ended up need to call their parents to come drive them to work that day. So I wouldn't save for the little extra not saving a backup battery.
Nov 17, 2006
38 posts
9 upvotes
sonyminidiscman wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:25 pm
but its costco... u can take it back when a "smarter" garage door opener comes on the market... maybe one that recognizes your car and lets you drive in... :)

I thought Home Depot also has an awesome return policy too?!?! Or does the awesomeness only apply to building supplies / non electronic products??? I know some people returned 1+ year product without receipt to them and they accepted it. Off course you will get store credit. They even accepted returns of "dead plants" Thinking Face.

Fyi, if you have home depot credit card, return policy is extended to 365 days. Not sure if there's any exception applied.
Nov 22, 2017
64 posts
53 upvotes
Suthek wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 2:36 pm
Why are people picking this over the stronger unit for $10 to $20 more?

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.smar ... 37132.html

Is there benefit in getting a smaller motor?
The one you quoted is actually CHEAPER than the one in this thread if you price match Home Depot at Lowe's. I picked this up last month for $242.10 after price match.
May 20, 2008
84 posts
15 upvotes
Felix15 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 3:00 pm
The one you quoted is actually CHEAPER than the one in this thread if you price match Home Depot at Lowe's. I picked this up last month for $242.10 after price match.
I did the same thing, the 970 seems like a better deal once priced matched.

Although this is overkill for most applications, I asked a few garage door installers and they told me not to worry about it, it will probably just last longer.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1586 posts
1846 upvotes
Toronto
bunnybuster78 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 2:18 pm

I thought Home Depot also has an awesome return policy too?!?! Or does the awesomeness only apply to building supplies / non electronic products??? I know some people returned 1+ year product without receipt to them and they accepted it. Off course you will get store credit. They even accepted returns of "dead plants" Thinking Face.

Fyi, if you have home depot credit card, return policy is extended to 365 days. Not sure if there's any exception applied.
Lol, guys, i was really only joking... its a ton of work to take down and reinstall a garage door opener... i don't think anyone would do that... but i am sure there would be exceptions. I don't abuse their return policies, but sometimes I am surprised how good they are. Got a pack of drumsticks, put it in my fridge for 2 days, and it turned bad... obviously I threw out the entire pack cause it was sticking up the house. Next time went to costco, asked how to do a refund for spoiled food (for the next time), they just gave me money back...
Jun 1, 2004
439 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
What were the prices you were getting to get it installed?
SteveWhip wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 4:22 pm
I did the same thing, the 970 seems like a better deal once priced matched.

Although this is overkill for most applications, I asked a few garage door installers and they told me not to worry about it, it will probably just last longer.