Hot Deals

[Costco] Charging Essentials Wi-Fi Smart Plug x 2 $18.99/Smart Dimmer Switch x 2 $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2019 12:49 pm
Dec 8, 2014
249 posts
119 upvotes
Calgary, AB
QuaDWiZ wrote:
Aug 26th, 2018 6:14 pm
Plugs work fine with the CE Smart app. But unable to connect them to Google home. During the process, Google says authorization successful, but the devices do not show up on Google home.

exactly- same goes for me.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
5357 posts
1102 upvotes
Calgary
got a couple of the switches installed today, they work great with Alexa... gonna have to pick up a couple more packs for the rest of the house
Aug 13, 2006
918 posts
111 upvotes
Vancouver
No issues for me luckily, the only thing missing is IFFFT integration. But Google home worked like a charm for me.
Don't worry about how much you SPEND , it's how much you SAVE that matters.
Sep 24, 2011
574 posts
238 upvotes
Sherbrooke
Any idea why one device was working fine and then it woukd not respond, no more led indication, wires are ok. Could it have just died on me?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1250 posts
364 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
polorico wrote:
Aug 26th, 2018 8:19 pm
Any idea why one device was working fine and then it woukd not respond, no more led indication, wires are ok. Could it have just died on me?
Yep. That means it died. One cause can be if at any point the circuit drew more than 2A, with LED or CFD bulbs. You should have no problem returning them to Costco.
Jun 2, 2002
425 posts
125 upvotes
Lots of the smart plugs at St. John’s NL Costco right at the entrance if you want to make the trip.
Dec 16, 2003
729 posts
129 upvotes
Ajax
Does anyone know when setting schedule for the dimmer switch... If you can also set the brightness level for that specific time frame? ... i.e. I'd like my outdoor lights to be at 100% up to 11pm then 25% brightness from 11pm to 1am.. Also do you notice a noticeable buzzing noise coming from switches for anything less than 100%...TIA
Apr 15, 2005
43 posts
2 upvotes
Vernon
facebook259 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 5:03 am
Yep. That means it died. One cause can be if at any point the circuit drew more than 2A, with LED or CFD bulbs. You should have no problem returning them to Costco.
Both of mine have died
Sep 24, 2011
574 posts
238 upvotes
Sherbrooke
I was wondering how you can set this up with only two cables coming out the switch. Black and white only. I tried several combination but the only thing i get is my bulbs hardly light up and they flash. I checked my bulbs and theu are dimmable leds I have 3 and they are 7w each.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2003
1879 posts
80 upvotes
Thornhill
Is there a way to get the dimmers to go on and off without fading? Did I miss something?
Those who don't do it, don't get it.
May 8, 2006
604 posts
17 upvotes
Hi to all, I have few comments regarding costco smart wi-fi light switches and plugs. Light switch is single pole, not 3- way switch. Single pole - only one switch controls one or set of lights. 3-way switch that light or set of lights can be controlled by two switches. Usually those are for light over stairs, for example: one switch is in hallway and one upstairs. When you switch on lights downstairs then you can switch them off upstairs.
Costco switches in order to work need neutral (white wire), 2 black wires one hot (power) and one load - when switch is on power goes through it to light. Third connection is ground - copper wire without jacket or green wire. My boxes are made of metal therefore switches do not have to be directly grounded, however I still did it.
It is important to figure out which of black cables is hot one (power). Many people do reverse them, this will cause issues. You will need extra 14 gage cable, which you can cut to length you need. You will need ground and neutral (white) wires. White wire you will have to connect to smart switch and with the rest of white wires in switch box. Ground wire I did connect to box and to switch directly.
Electric code from I think 2012 required that neutral (white)connection have to be in all boxes, however before that time that was optional. If you have newer home you should be OK, in older houses that could be more complicated. Programming is very easy when you follow Apps instructions, pls. do remember that at first time you program switch your phone have to be connected with your router on 2.4G channel not 5 G. After programming you can connect with your switch any way you like it 2.4G, 5 G, wi-fi, 4G and from anywhere. 2.4 connection is only required when programming switch.
Images
  • 377D5CFE-5BC8-43B4-96C1-1593E98679CF.jpeg
  • 09645AA6-9885-4A2C-B99B-AE01594560EF.jpeg
  • C38F0E64-C2C4-483F-9E86-6F803838652F.jpeg
  • A80BED03-E987-4D3A-AA8D-25A11AEE57FE.jpeg
  • 9444E04B-5989-48E2-A8D0-D89422333237.jpeg
  • 52F58C9D-C4DF-4EC7-BD5A-1E102E707BC7.jpeg
:arrow: Edmonton :arrowl:
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1250 posts
364 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
Well I just connected up the first switch out of my second set. The dimming and brightness works OK for my ceiling pot lights. But I just can't get it paired. In fact after my first few attempts I can't even get it to enter pairing mode. I push the dimmer 5 times, and then hold down on the 6th. No matter how I long I hold, it won't start flashing. I've wasted about an hour of my time trying to get this stupid thing to pair. I think the problem is toggle my phone wifi, which moves the phone to the 5 GHz network before the process is complete. Or possibly a different mesh router. Whatever the reason there just seems to be no way to get it back into pairing more again.

I'm going to have to take this set back to costco as well. Only this time I can't find the receipt. Last time I returned an item to Costco without a receipt I was charged a $20 lost receipt charge. If they do that this time, that is half the price of the purchase.
Jun 16, 2007
405 posts
34 upvotes
King City, ON
Zebble wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 4:44 pm
Was able to take the unit apart. I gently tapped on the ground terminal with a hammer. It's loose within the device, so ends up pushing up against the faceplate. Once that corner of the faceplate popped loose, I slid a credit card into the gap and around the edge. Popped apart fairly easily.

Did a pinout and was also able to flash Tasmota on it. For those interested, follow the pinout in the module pics in my previous post. Connect GND, 3V3, RX and TX on the pin headers. The "I00" pad on the back is GPIO0 which needs to be held to ground when powering up to put it into flash mode.

Pinouts:

I used the "Generic" module selection for this, as there wasn't any existing template that had similar pinouts.

GPIO12: relay
GPIO13: button
GPIO04: LED1 of 2-colour LED (I used "LED1i" in Tasmota)
GPIO05: LED2 of 2-colour LED

Because neither LED1 nor LED2 are tied to GPIO12 (relay) they will not follow the state of the relay. This does make both LED's completely programmable, which is nice. Would have to add a Tasmota "rule" to have one of the LED's follow the relay state.
The plug looks easy to get at the pins/pads. Have you had a look at the switches yet? Getting Tasmota on that would like the holy grail. The ESP is on the middle circuit board. No easy way of getting to the pads.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1718 posts
1011 upvotes
facebook259 wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 8:48 am
Last time I returned an item to Costco without a receipt I was charged a $20 lost receipt charge. If they do that this time, that is half the price of the purchase.
That's a thing?

Don't they have all your purchases on file with your membership?
Aug 28, 2018
26 posts
9 upvotes
wildzero wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 9:05 am
That's a thing?

Don't they have all your purchases on file with your membership?
Never charged me for lost receipts.