Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Charging Essentials Wi-Fi Smart Plug x 2 $18.99/Smart Dimmer Switch x 2 $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2019 6:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1968 posts
319 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Sorry I haven't got a chance to open the package yet.
Sep 27, 2007
166 posts
4 upvotes
Saint-Leonard
Hi,

Is this a wi-fi externder? I just installed Bell Fibe and the they are trying to get me to pay $5/mth for 4 plugs that extend my wifi through to the basement. Will it work with Bell Fibe?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1740 posts
510 upvotes
So what's the answer; does it integrate with smart things or no?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5211 posts
931 upvotes
Montreal
LE-37 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 10:38 pm
Got these today. Work just like the tplink plug that I have for half the price. Bit smaller size than HS105 too.

Would like to try the light switches too if I can find them at a Costco near me... Especially if only $40 for 2. Even better if they are dimmer switches
Does Costco have also carry these light switches?
itrocks4u wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 1:49 am
So what's the answer; does it integrate with smart things or no?
According to Post # 12 above, seems like no.
Phils
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2369 posts
1280 upvotes
GVRD
miji2 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 11:10 pm
These seem to use a rebranded Tuya Smart Life app. Can someone try to use https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .smartlife to see if it registers the device? That would make it compatible with a wider set of automation platforms.
Looks like Tuya can be modified like the TP-Link by running a web service locally: https://github.com/blawson327/TuyaSmartthings
ma678 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 11:26 pm
Sorry I haven't got a chance to open the package yet.
It seems the Tuya are using ESP8266 chip, if you don't mind open one up and take use a magnifying glass to find out if it has a small ESP8266 chip, if it is then these can be mod to run the custom firmware for direct ST integration.
Apr 8, 2007
694 posts
223 upvotes
Can I program my harmony remote to activate this?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2766 upvotes
This is becoming a typical price for cheap WiFi smart plugs, so don't feel rushed into buying because of the low price.

Most are very simple devices based on a single chip like the ESP8266 with the addition of an AC relay. Many of them use a standard app like Tuya Smart Life for control (in the app stores), but not all. They can't just clone the Tuya firmware, because like all WiFi smart devices they depend on back-end support from an internet web service. That means the manufacturer either has to support a web service of their own, or pay someone else for it. It's an advantage if the device uses a standard web service like Tuya because it has api support for Google Home, Alexa, IFTTT etc., and there are solutions to integrate with hubs like SmartThings.

It's true you can reprogram the chip with new firmware, but it's not all that easy - you need some specialized equipment (e.g., see https://hackaday.com/2015/03/18/how-to- ... fi-module/).
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2766 upvotes
fsabbagh wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 1:28 am
Is this a wi-fi externder? I just installed Bell Fibe and the they are trying to get me to pay $5/mth for 4 plugs that extend my wifi through to the basement. Will it work with Bell Fibe?
No, it's not a WiFi extender. There are smart plugs with a built-in WiFi extender (like this TP-Link model: https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Extender- ... B01MZIV9ZC), but this isn't one.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1427 posts
422 upvotes
FYI I saw these also at the burlington location. Was going to pick some up but I couldnt think of somewhere to install them so i passed. It is a good deal though if you need some.
Nov 11, 2007
239 posts
6 upvotes
Cambridge
Seen these at the Kitchener/ Cambridge store. Think I will pick one up and test it. If they work well with my Alexa then I will get a few more , if not I love the no hassle Costco return policy. Can you these at Christmas rather then my old manual timers to turn lights on off.
Jan 26, 2018
619 posts
285 upvotes
They alao have the dimmer switch 2 for 39.99
Images
  • IMG_20180811_135047.jpg
Last edited by keshan on Aug 19th, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
1830 posts
1890 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What do you guys use smart-plugs for?

Most tools, devices, and electronics all have a switch or power button that needs to pressed to turn on. So if I activate the smartplug to turn on wirelessly, the electronics connected to it still have to be pressed manually to get turned on, right?
Jan 26, 2018
619 posts
285 upvotes
blackston3 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 10:48 am
What do you guys use smart-plugs for?

Most tools, devices, and electronics all have a switch or power button that needs to pressed to turn on. So if I activate the smartplug to turn on wirelessly, the electronics connected to it still have to be pressed manually to get turned on, right?
you left the switch on devices ON all the time.
Last edited by keshan on Aug 12th, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 7, 2011
12 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Yes can connect to any device as long as wattage and amps are not maxed out. In the 1990'si blew speakers on a stereo as I connected a remote access plug but had the volume turned up to 11. So max sure it is within range simple stuff like a ac adaptor for us connected stuff is ok, coffee maker, lamp , led lights, slump pump , water sprinkler, etc...don't do stereos with that are high wattage but a cheap small radio is ok or and device that doesn't require a soft power button but instead a mechanical switch for power it works well to remotely power on things.
Mar 7, 2011
12 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
USB adapter or a fan is great. I love telling Google home to turn on the fans all at once