Hot Deals

[Costco] Charging Essentials Wi-Fi Smart Plug x 2 $18.99/Smart Dimmer Switch x 2 $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2019 4:10 pm
Sep 26, 2016
55 posts
28 upvotes
ma678 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 4:23 pm
I just bought a pair of CE Wi-Fi Smart plugs for $24.99 from Costco. It is pretty small compared with Tplink HS105 and works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. There is free app on Android and iOS.

Never heard about the brand name but I like to give it a try.

Edit: many people also bought a pair of WiFi smart dimmer switches for $39.99.

Nice lower cost alternatives to brand names.
TP link's max power is 1850W and these ones are 1250W - in case that you wanna use them for kettle control for "Hey, Google, switch on my kettle!"

It would be good to check the max power before you use them with some heavy load appliance.
Dec 11, 2009
216 posts
52 upvotes
Brampton
yydd4567 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 11:17 am
Very nice. In some GTA (Vaughan, Oakville, Vaughan West) and Kitchener locations I could not find the switches.
Switches are now back in stock at Vaughan West (in the home improvments sections with the lightbulbs/fixtures aisle)

Plugs are still in the area near the tvs
Oct 11, 2016
287 posts
56 upvotes
LE-37 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 1:46 pm
Switches are now back in stock at Vaughan West (in the home improvments sections with the lightbulbs/fixtures aisle)

Plugs are still in the area near the tvs
Thank you for the update!
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2006
3090 posts
263 upvotes
What's the bandwidth u can get on these?
====================================
Aug 21, 2011
67 posts
41 upvotes
McMasterville
Daijoubu wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 5:07 pm
It's Walmart, it has to be, I saw ETL for the plug on a review, the bulbs are also probably ETL since it's the cheapest one to get vs UL/CSA

FYI, CE is not an actual (3rd party) certification, it's self-cert...colloquially known as China Export lol
Yeah CE certification is a bit misleading but the CE cert I'm referring to is from EU.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking
Jan 10, 2005
393 posts
117 upvotes
miji2 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 11:10 pm
These seem to use a rebranded Tuya Smart Life app. Can someone try to use https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .smartlife to see if it registers the device? That would make it compatible with a wider set of automation platforms.
I just got 2 plugs for Xmas from Amazon (Teckin SP20). Hardware is fine(rated up to 16A), but the Smart Life/Tuya app is dooooodgy. Reports that plugs upload 90mb of data a month... Seems it should come with an Asian Data Farm Certificate....

Unless I can hack them and use them with open source/ local network, they are going back.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3595 posts
741 upvotes
They had a lot of these at the Woodbine and Highway 7 location yesterday. They are just to the left of the clothing section when you walk in.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Updated December 2018
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8681 posts
1691 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bennydiamond wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 8:31 am
Yeah CE certification is a bit misleading but the CE cert I'm referring to is from EU.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking
I know what it is, but the issue is that anyone can put up CE on their products, they are supposed to do their own testing
The manufacturer of a product affixes the CE marking to it but has to take certain obligatory steps before the product can bear CE marking. The manufacturer must carry out a conformity assessment, set up a technical file and sign a Declaration stipulated by the leading legislation for the product. The documentation has to be made available to authorities on request.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
6018 posts
39 upvotes
Ottawa
If you replace your router, you will have to replace these and there is no reset switch on it. There is a convoluded way to do it that the manufacturer suggests, and after repeated tries it does not work. After discussion with their tech support, they said they are aware of the issue and to take the switches back to Costco.

They work great otherwise....just a heads up!
Jan 1, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
Got a pair for xmas and was successful in connecting to 2.4 GHz router and integrated with Google home. Note most new routers are dual band so you may need to set up the unit far away from your router so the 2.4 frequency is used and not the more common 5 ghz
Nov 28, 2016
484 posts
194 upvotes
I successfully reset my switches by pressing 5 times and holding 6yh times as per manual. Guess I was the lucky one?
Lurking on RFD for years. Finally decided to make an account...😂
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8681 posts
1691 upvotes
Montreal, QC
KevinL22324 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 2:07 am
Got a pair for xmas and was successful in connecting to 2.4 GHz router and integrated with Google home. Note most new routers are dual band so you may need to set up the unit far away from your router so the 2.4 frequency is used and not the more common 5 ghz
I'm pretty sure it's 2.4Ghz only
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2007
1139 posts
337 upvotes
You guys should be careful buying smart home devices especially when they are no-name re-brands like this. I could not find a single entry in the NIST vulnerability database and another CVE vulnerability database. Not in the sense that "oh! no entry! that must mean there are no vulnerabilities" no, more like "shit, this vendor is not even listed"

This Christmas I bought a lot of smart home devices. Lights, vacuums, locks, smart plugs/switches you name it. But I made sure I went through those databases to make sure I didn't but anything that had a critical vulnerability. I made a small mistake buying the Wemo Smart Wifi Plug. Turns out it pretty much broadcasts your wireless network password. You can click here and skip to page 5 to see it.

Shut that shit off and returned it. Given that this device is not even listed does not bode well. I know this is RFD and everyone is out for a deal but sometimes it is better to be slightly more cautious.