Hot Deals

[Costco] Charging Essentials Wi-Fi Smart Plug x 2 $18.99/Smart Dimmer Switch x 2 $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2019 12:49 pm
Nov 13, 2008
82 posts
34 upvotes
toronto
if it works for google home - sign me up

i got a "health-aware" himalayan salt lamp that i could program on during low-cost electricity and off during non-lows
Jun 7, 2008
293 posts
23 upvotes
Hi, i got the smart dimmer switch from the same brand, $39.99 for 2 from costco. But i could not make it works. The indicator light never turn on.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2752 upvotes
blackston3 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 10:48 am
Most tools, devices, and electronics all have a switch or power button that needs to pressed to turn on. So if I activate the smartplug to turn on wirelessly, the electronics connected to it still have to be pressed manually to get turned on, right?
If the device has a manual power switch, you just leave it on, like keshan said.

But it's a problem if the device has an electronic power switch that doesn't turn on when the device is connected to power, you have to press a button to turn it on. Those devices are in an awkward in-between status: too smart to be controlled by a smart plug, too dumb to have a network link themselves.

I have a smart switch to make the coffee fresh for us in the morning, starting as soon as I say "Ok Google, good morning." But we had to dig out an old non-programmable coffee maker with an analog on/off switch and ditch the one with the programmable timer.
Mar 27, 2005
323 posts
16 upvotes
Keroma, make sure you connect the neutral (white) wire. If there is none
the switch cannot be used as it requires power to operate even in off state
Jan 4, 2014
790 posts
220 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Just purchased from waterloo costco. Took all of 5 minutes to set up, and it works fine with my google home. It is only rated at 10A, but I wont be using it on anything else. Great price for two.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2685 posts
1484 upvotes
Vancouver
blackston3 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 10:48 am
What do you guys use smart-plugs for?

Most tools, devices, and electronics all have a switch or power button that needs to pressed to turn on. So if I activate the smartplug to turn on wirelessly, the electronics connected to it still have to be pressed manually to get turned on, right?
A lot of things can be "always on". For example Not lights from Ikea (i actually like those because they blend into the background so you don't notice them behind TVs and they are durable since i had them for years).

Also other things like rasp pi, routers, etc are auto on. In the case of routers, its a good way to "reboot" them if you need a power cycle and the router is hidden (tho if its not, you can just unplug it since power cycle are rarely needed and most of the time you can just soft reboot). Its also a good way to turn off rasp pi, which by default, has no off switch (unless you bought a power brick with one). Also other common use include things like A/C, (de)humidifier, fans, etc. Some small kitchen appliances could also work (tho a lot of them these days don't have on/off switches or have switches you need to physically press to go on).

One other advantage of these things is if you want to completely turn off something, you can do that. Basically no need for "standby" instead it would be completely off. Of course you might need something with a higher power rating if you want to do that for something like a full HT system. Of course that's something im way too lazy to good and a lot of the time various HT device actually does "updates" while in standby mode so that's not something i care about but i know my dad used to like turning off the powerbar/surge protector when he goes to sleep. So something like this could make that process a bit easier or let you hide your powerbar/surge protector/UPS.

I'm sure there are other uses too tho a lot of them are slowly being replaced by "smart" devices that or more less replicates a smart plug in the device itself. Of course some (probably most) will actually use more standby power than a simple smart plug so there are still advantages to getting these if they are effective and cheap.
Aug 11, 2018
8 posts
18 upvotes
Was able to take the unit apart. I gently tapped on the ground terminal with a hammer. It's loose within the device, so ends up pushing up against the faceplate. Once that corner of the faceplate popped loose, I slid a credit card into the gap and around the edge. Popped apart fairly easily.

Did a pinout and was also able to flash Tasmota on it. For those interested, follow the pinout in the module pics in my previous post. Connect GND, 3V3, RX and TX on the pin headers. The "I00" pad on the back is GPIO0 which needs to be held to ground when powering up to put it into flash mode.

Pinouts:

I used the "Generic" module selection for this, as there wasn't any existing template that had similar pinouts.

GPIO12: relay
GPIO13: button
GPIO04: LED1 of 2-colour LED (I used "LED1i" in Tasmota)
GPIO05: LED2 of 2-colour LED

Because neither LED1 nor LED2 are tied to GPIO12 (relay) they will not follow the state of the relay. This does make both LED's completely programmable, which is nice. Would have to add a Tasmota "rule" to have one of the LED's follow the relay state.
Aug 11, 2018
1 posts
4 upvotes
"These seem to use a rebranded Tuya Smart Life app. Can someone try to use https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .smartlife to see if it registers the device? That would make it compatible with a wider set of automation platforms."

Have just loaded the app and these outlets work perfectly with it.
Aug 12, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
I bought both the smart plugs and smart light switches at Costco yesterday. Tried the plugs immediately and they work with Google Home.

The smart light switches: I should have looked more closely, but I was too excited when I didn’t (at first) see the screw for where to attach the neutral wire. I thought I’d finally found a cheap alternative. Opened the package tonight, and yep... requires a neutral, like 99% of the smart light switches. Looks like I’ll be saving up for more Lutron Caseta’s!
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3116 posts
432 upvotes
GTA
Any used these yet? Is there a timer feature in the app to turn them on and off at certain times?
Jun 7, 2008
293 posts
23 upvotes
jochooi wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 2:33 pm
Keroma, make sure you connect the neutral (white) wire. If there is none
the switch cannot be used as it requires power to operate even in off state
Thanks. But my old dimmer doesn't have neutral wire. I think I cannot use it and need to return it. It said single pole dimmer, I though only need red and black.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2005
3477 posts
17232 upvotes
Montreal
Confirmation from their customer service that it won’t function w/Wink or Smartthings:
Hi,

Thank you for your question. Our products are currently not compatible with Wink or Smartthings.

Best Regards,

CE Smart Home Customer Support
I'm often at Costco...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10101 posts
4200 upvotes
Brampton
Where does it say that the switch is a 3 way dimmer? I see that it's a dimmer, but I Can't anything on 3 way function.

I checked CE's site but it's built by a potato and has no useful information on it.