Hot Deals

[Costco] Charging Essentials Wi-Fi Smart Plug x 2 $18.99/Smart Dimmer Switch x 2 $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2019 12:49 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
1979 posts
492 upvotes
craeyon wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 8:49 pm
You guys should be careful buying smart home devices especially when they are no-name re-brands like this. I could not find a single entry in the NIST vulnerability database and another CVE vulnerability database. Not in the sense that "oh! no entry! that must mean there are no vulnerabilities" no, more like "shit, this vendor is not even listed"

This Christmas I bought a lot of smart home devices. Lights, vacuums, locks, smart plugs/switches you name it. But I made sure I went through those databases to make sure I didn't but anything that had a critical vulnerability. I made a small mistake buying the Wemo Smart Wifi Plug. Turns out it pretty much broadcasts your wireless network password. You can click here and skip to page 5 to see it.

Shut that shit off and returned it. Given that this device is not even listed does not bode well. I know this is RFD and everyone is out for a deal but sometimes it is better to be slightly more cautious.
You returned the Wemo plug because it transmits your wifi password ONCE, in a single packet, on your private internal network?

Woo lord.
Nov 28, 2016
464 posts
185 upvotes
I don’t think any company is 100% trustworthy. Hence I won’t install smart lock.
But all the other products, who cares if they randomly turn off your night.
As for the wifi password, just mac filter your network!
Lurking on RFD for years. Finally decided to make an account...😂
Sep 30, 2007
94 posts
43 upvotes
I can only find the switches at Costco Candiac. Does anyone know where I could find the plugs (both external and internal) in the Montreal area?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4796 posts
734 upvotes
Montreal
The last time I was at Pointe Claire a couple of weeks ago the switches were in a different aisle than the plugs.
Phils
Jun 13, 2015
23 posts
42 upvotes
Trois-Rivieres, QC
Speedbeaver wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 2:09 pm
I can only find the switches at Costco Candiac. Does anyone know where I could find the plugs (both external and internal) in the Montreal area?
Saw a lot in Brossard yesterday and I i've been consitently seeing them in Trois-Rivieres for the past months.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1488 posts
221 upvotes
Vaughan
Bought a pack this week to replace a faulty switch from the 6 I bought during the SaveON days back in Oct. The new ones are in slightly different packaging. I was easily able to reset the switches that are going back and set up the new one with little effort. I'm still liking these. Wife still hates them as she doesn't like the buttons compared to our old dumb dimmer switches, how to use the manual dimmer and how slow the response is when turning the light on/off.
Dec 9, 2003
273 posts
87 upvotes
Spotted the switches at the woodbridge location. Tons left over the weekend
Jan 25, 2012
252 posts
47 upvotes
Saw a bunch in Gloucester, Ottawa this past weekend. Looks like they have been restocked.
Mar 11, 2007
8 posts
1 upvote
Has anyone tried the 2 pack of full colour wifi light bulbs? I think they were around $35?
Aug 31, 2012
294 posts
88 upvotes
CONCORD
Everyone's updating inventory but not whether dimming or standard..

Need dimming
Dec 15, 2006
630 posts
255 upvotes
Ottawa
rdfnewbe wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 1:02 pm
Saw a bunch in Gloucester, Ottawa this past weekend. Looks like they have been restocked.
I just saw these for the first time in Barrhaven and bought 2 packs. I missed this thread on the initial go-around. They are working well with my Google Home mini.
Dec 15, 2006
630 posts
255 upvotes
Ottawa
scorpi14 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 4:04 pm
Anyone seen them in Ottawa location? Thanks.
Barrhaven has them in stock in the computer section at the front.
Sep 18, 2017
6 posts
1 upvote
Anyone know how to get these things into "Pair" mode? i've wasted like 2 hours on this. seems simple enought. Turn on, pres down 5 times, hold down for 10 seconds?

it does flash green, but only for a few seconds, before turning solid green and the craptastic app reports "failed". OMG.. this app takes so long to go from 0% to 100%

I really want to like this thing, but there is always the option of returning it to costco :(
Nov 28, 2016
464 posts
185 upvotes
UrbnRzqr wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 7:44 pm
Everyone's updating inventory but not whether dimming or standard..

Need dimming
it’s dimmer smart switch
Lurking on RFD for years. Finally decided to make an account...😂

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)