Hot Deals

[Costco] Charging Essentials Wi-Fi Smart Plug x 2 $18.99/Smart Dimmer Switch x 2 $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2019 3:36 am
Aug 9, 2007
45 posts
26 upvotes
Montreal
Went to Bridge COSTCO Charging Essentials Wi-Fi Smart Plug x 2 $19.99
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
2510 posts
215 upvotes
krazykanuck wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 7:19 pm
See previous page. 29.99 in warehouse. Picked up a pack tonight.
Those that use these, can the app have a device force off at a certain time? ie lamp shuts off at 9pm??
Yes
Oct 11, 2016
231 posts
43 upvotes
sks8100 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 11:55 am
If anybody is interested here is a 2 Pack wifi switch. I know the regular TP Link (non summer) was on sale for 19.99. Here you get two dimmers for 39.99

Saw it at Costco Vaughan. Enjoy
Anyone get the dimmers to work? I can't get for the life of me get the dimmer in pairing mode......I've tried many things (air gap switch, re-wired, the instructions to reset...nothing works.)
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
2510 posts
215 upvotes
yydd4567 wrote:
Mar 31st, 2019 2:48 pm
Anyone get the dimmers to work? I can't get for the life of me get the dimmer in pairing mode......I've tried many things (air gap switch, re-wired, the instructions to reset...nothing works.)
yeah I have 20 of them through out my house. Replaced all my switches - you do need to have a neutral in the box though, if you don't these won't work.
Oct 26, 2008
171 posts
99 upvotes
Whitby
MANGLER wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 8:56 am
I just got 2 plugs for Xmas from Amazon (Teckin SP20). Hardware is fine(rated up to 16A), but the Smart Life/Tuya app is dooooodgy. Reports that plugs upload 90mb of data a month... Seems it should come with an Asian Data Farm Certificate....

Unless I can hack them and use them with open source/ local network, they are going back.
This may be too old, but These plugs are EASILY hacked - you don't even need to solder!

Why hack these plugs / switches / dimmers?

1. - Privacy. Disable ALL reporting back home to China.
2. - Choice. Many firmwares (free) exist and are compatible - or code your own in Arduino IDE. (Sonoff/Tasmota, EspHome/EspEasy/Espurna) to name a few... Personally I like the Tasmota and ESPHome.
3. - Flexibility. Easily integrate these converted (or non-converted) devices in to a Home Automation System. 1 place (webserver) run locally on a Virtual Machine, A raspberry Pi, an old PC...) and control everything in the same place.
Eliminate the App for this and APP for that. Multiple Users can be setup, lots of customization. Introduce yourself to Home Assistant. For Starting out, A Raspberry Pi 3B and HassOS (Hassio) is the best choice.
Those with Linux experience can deploy HassIO in Ubuntu 18.x and Debian 9.x easily, in a VENV or Docker container)
4. - Integrate Home Assistant with Alexa and/or Google Assistant - FREE. A paid option does exit for an easier experience, but a free solution is widely available and supported in Discord.
5. - Price. It's all FREE.

Easiest way to get started - Join Discord, lookup Home Assistant and begin reading and asking questions.

I hope to see MANY people from this awesome community around the HA/Discord community.

Free your plugs and switches- No soldering -- https://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert

or

If you are interested in running Proxmox- A hypervisor similar to VMWARE ESXI. Hardware Virtualization of Multiple PCs/Platforms/Containers (LXC Container support) --- https://www.proxmox.com/en/

Tuya-COnvert LXC container - a Lightweight Debian implementation via a 1-liner script for Tuya-Convert. Some custom features added like SAMBA support and others.

https://github.com/whiskerz007/proxmox_ ... _container -

[-=SrZ=-]
Oct 11, 2016
231 posts
43 upvotes
wiebecj wrote:
Mar 31st, 2019 3:35 pm
yeah I have 20 of them through out my house. Replaced all my switches - you do need to have a neutral in the box though, if you don't these won't work.
The neutral wire wasnt my issue - it powered up. It just wouldnt go into pairing mode.

Anyways finally figured it out.
Nov 28, 2016
440 posts
181 upvotes
yydd4567 wrote:
Mar 31st, 2019 7:33 pm
The neutral wire wasnt my issue - it powered up. It just wouldnt go into pairing mode.

What did you figure out?

I was gonna ask you to try reset and move your router closer, separate 2.4 and 5Ghz band, and report back
Lurking on RFD for years. Finally decided to make an account...😂
Oct 11, 2016
231 posts
43 upvotes
dealyou wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 1:07 am
What did you figure out?

I was gonna ask you to try reset and move your router closer, separate 2.4 and 5Ghz band, and report back
I always run two different bands (2.4 and 5Ghz.) I've never had good experience with auto detect as I run a myriad of devices (old and new.)

Anyways, my main issue was getting the dimmer switches in pairing mode. The situation was that the green light was solid. This indicates the switch can't connect to the network. The factory reset process is very finicky. Each time I followed the process, where I pressed the paddle 5 times and held it on the 6th time, and then release after 5-8 seconds, was not working.

However, for some odd reason, on my like 40th time trying, I watched carefully when holding the paddle, the color of the light changed to aqua blue (turquoise) and while I was holding it I saw a quick green color flash...so instead of waiting 5-8 seconds, as soon as I saw that color change, I released and voila...it went into pairing mode...

do not ask me why that worked...it actually makes no sense...because when I followed their aforementioned instructions, I would release the paddle after 5 seconds ( I also tried 6, 7, 8)...nothing would happen....anyways...perhaps the above was just a fluke and I got lucky or maybe I was just doing it wrong.....I dunno....very frustrating. I've installed other switches and plugs from Wemo, TP-lInk, and never had an issue like this. I guess you get what you pay for...............
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26428 posts
12560 upvotes
Ottawa
Anyone using these with ST and can share a link to the DH?
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1469 posts
211 upvotes
Vaughan
yydd4567 wrote:
Mar 31st, 2019 7:33 pm

Are you saying you figured out a way to use the switch without hooking up the neutral? I have one bedroom switch where the builder decided not to run the neutral even though it's in every other switch in the house. Annoying.
Oct 11, 2016
231 posts
43 upvotes
d_source wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 10:16 am
Are you saying you figured out a way to use the switch without hooking up the neutral? I have one bedroom switch where the builder decided not to run the neutral even though it's in every other switch in the house. Annoying.
No...you must have the neutral wire for these to work. What I was saying is I finally figured out how to get the switch into pairing mode.

I am guessing you have already checked this but I also had an instance where I could not find the neutral wire. I thought the wire wasn't there but had an electrician come in and they found it hiding behind the box....waste of $$$ calling him in.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1469 posts
211 upvotes
Vaughan
^^^I did not check that, but will the next chance I get. I have 5 of 6 switches installed and would really like the 6th in it's proper place as well.

BTW - Wife hates these things as they are difficult to dim using the button (especially with LED bulbs) and the paddle to turn the lights on/off has that extra second delay which is kind of annoying as well.
Oct 11, 2016
231 posts
43 upvotes
d_source wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 10:39 am
^^^I did not check that, but will the next chance I get. I have 5 of 6 switches installed and would really like the 6th in it's proper place as well.

BTW - Wife hates these things as they are difficult to dim using the button (especially with LED bulbs) and the paddle to turn the lights on/off has that extra second delay which is kind of annoying as well.
Yeah...I think my wife doesn't like it as well...they are cheaply made...probably replace it when tp-link or wemo dimmers come on sale (much better quality.)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Nitram