Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Charging Essentials Wi-Fi Smart Plug x 2 $18.99/Smart Dimmer Switch x 2 $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2019 2:18 pm
Oct 11, 2016
340 posts
67 upvotes
yydd4567 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 9:26 am
I always run two different bands (2.4 and 5Ghz.) I've never had good experience with auto detect as I run a myriad of devices (old and new.)

Anyways, my main issue was getting the dimmer switches in pairing mode. The situation was that the green light was solid. This indicates the switch can't connect to the network. The factory reset process is very finicky. Each time I followed the process, where I pressed the paddle 5 times and held it on the 6th time, and then release after 5-8 seconds, was not working.

However, for some odd reason, on my like 40th time trying, I watched carefully when holding the paddle, the color of the light changed to aqua blue (turquoise) and while I was holding it I saw a quick green color flash...so instead of waiting 5-8 seconds, as soon as I saw that color change, I released and voila...it went into pairing mode...

do not ask me why that worked...it actually makes no sense...because when I followed their aforementioned instructions, I would release the paddle after 5 seconds ( I also tried 6, 7, 8)...nothing would happen....anyways...perhaps the above was just a fluke and I got lucky or maybe I was just doing it wrong.....I dunno....very frustrating. I've installed other switches and plugs from Wemo, TP-lInk, and never had an issue like this. I guess you get what you pay for...............
So it wasn't a fluke...see below from CE Smart Home Support who replied to my email just this morning.

This is exactly what I did to get it to work:

"
-Ensure the Air-Gap Switch on the bottom of the dimmer is ON

-Press the top paddle button quickly 5 times in a row. On the sixth press and hold for about 6-8 seconds and release once you see the LED light quickly flicker/flash (this is very subtle). Once released, wait a few seconds, and the LED should begin quickly flashing.

If this does not work, please try above steps again until the LED begins quickly flashing (a few seconds after releasing the paddle) signaling the switch is ready for connection. The flicker you are looking for (which signals you to release your hold) is very subtle; do not hold the paddle down longer than 10 seconds. Most of the time the flicker will occur within counting 1 1000, 2 1000, 3 1000, 4 1000, 5 1000, 6 1000. If attempting the process more than once, keep the air-gap switch on in between attempts. It is very important that once you release your 6th press, you do not press anything else and wait a few seconds while watching for the LED to begin flashing.

Once the LED on the switch is flashing, within the CE Smart app, click add device and complete the steps to connect your switch."
Jul 11, 2009
373 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
Just wondering if Charging Essentials Wi-Fi Smart Plug x 2 is still available in GTA Costcos these days?
Oct 11, 2016
340 posts
67 upvotes
JimU wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 2:39 pm
Just wondering if Charging Essentials Wi-Fi Smart Plug x 2 is still available in GTA Costcos these days?
I havn't seen it lately....I would call the store and tell them to check inventory. they have it online:

https://www.costco.ca/CE-Smart-Home-Wi- ... 17575.html

So you can use the item number and see if it's in stores. Should be $29.99 in store. With the green energy rebates, it would go down to 21.99 (Ontario) however, that rebate has been eliminated. The green energy and conservation programs were cut by the conservative government.
Nov 28, 2016
504 posts
200 upvotes
The plug is actually $24.99 in store and the switch is $39.99.

I’m actually loving the CE with the Smartlife app.
Especially my TP link has been acting up lately for some reason. Both my google home and Alexa did tmr find it, and I had to open my Kasa app to control it. Even the kasa widget didn’t work. I’m using an iPhone.
Lurking on RFD for years. Finally decided to make an account...😂
Dec 15, 2009
87 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
dealyou wrote:
Apr 4th, 2019 6:01 am

Especially my TP link has been acting up lately for some reason. Both my google home and Alexa did tmr find it, and I had to open my Kasa app to control it. Even the kasa widget didn’t work. I’m using an iPhone.
I also have a couple of CE smart plugs and switches and I am also running those using SmartLife app. However - by doing so we will not be able to upgrade firmware when/if CE releases new firmware.

Even though, I am sure that CE will never release a new firmware or upgrade their app (last time their iPhone app was about 8 months ago). This tells me that they simply want to sell their product but provide little to no improvement afterwards

That's the difference between companies like CE and WeMo, TP-Link or even Meross
Oct 11, 2016
340 posts
67 upvotes
dealyou wrote:
Apr 4th, 2019 6:01 am

Wow $10 diff between online and in-store? interesting! thanks for the correction!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10466 posts
4672 upvotes
Brampton
rs97ap wrote:
Apr 4th, 2019 8:20 am
I also have a couple of CE smart plugs and switches and I am also running those using SmartLife app. However - by doing so we will not be able to upgrade firmware when/if CE releases new firmware.

Even though, I am sure that CE will never release a new firmware or upgrade their app (last time their iPhone app was about 8 months ago). This tells me that they simply want to sell their product but provide little to no improvement afterwards

That's the difference between companies like CE and WeMo, TP-Link or even Meross
Not true.

I'm using the Tuya Smartlife app and it updated the firmware on my switches recently.

All the firmware are the same across the devices. it's all part of Tuya's dominance it allows them to have a huge market share because you can go to them buy a design and tell them how you want it branded they do all the leg work. The only difference is in the vendor ID of the device that gets set, their cloud handles all the federation/segregation. Most of the (Cheap ~$10) plugs and switches on the market uses one of the many reference design provided by Tuya. Some vendors go for the UL/CSA testing (CE did) most do not.

I found out between digging around getting Tasmota/OTA Flashing/ Openhab integration.

The app itself doesn't really even need much updating. Most the leg work is handled in the cloud by Tuya. "Updating" the app is easy for these vendors as the reference app is also provided by Tuya and gets rebranded.

Meross = Tuya
Tp-Link uses their own cloud & reference design
Wemo uses their own cloud & Reference design
Dec 15, 2009
87 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote:
Apr 4th, 2019 1:52 pm
Not true.

I'm using the Tuya Smartlife app and it updated the firmware on my switches recently.

All the firmware are the same across the devices. it's all part of Tuya's dominance it allows them to have a huge market share because you can go to them buy a design and tell them how you want it branded they do all the leg work. The only difference is in the vendor ID of the device that gets set, their cloud handles all the federation/segregation. Most of the (Cheap ~$10) plugs and switches on the market uses one of the many reference design provided by Tuya. Some vendors go for the UL/CSA testing (CE did) most do not.

I found out between digging around getting Tasmota/OTA Flashing/ Openhab integration.

The app itself doesn't really even need much updating. Most the leg work is handled in the cloud by Tuya. "Updating" the app is easy for these vendors as the reference app is also provided by Tuya and gets rebranded.

Meross = Tuya
Tp-Link uses their own cloud & reference design
Wemo uses their own cloud & Reference design
Nice - thanks for the clarification! That was my biggest concern with the CE devices.

Do you recommend any forum / site that provides newbie guides for Tasmota/OpenHab/OTA flashing?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10466 posts
4672 upvotes
Brampton
rs97ap wrote:
Apr 4th, 2019 5:31 pm
Nice - thanks for the clarification! That was my biggest concern with the CE devices.

Do you recommend any forum / site that provides newbie guides for Tasmota/OpenHab/OTA flashing?
There's no one source. There's tons of guides on OTA tasmota flashing.

Couple guides on MQTT setup in general.

For OpenHab there's community.openhab.org
Mar 28, 2018
67 posts
55 upvotes
I've installed 4 of the smart switches. Had a little problem with the first, but the rest went in with very little problem.

Make sure you go to Home Depot first and get a few feet of white 14 gauge cable before you start, so you can connect to the neutral.
Jul 11, 2009
373 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
was at Queensway location today. The plugs are now $ 19 / 2 units. bought another 2 packages.
Images
  • _DSC0541.JPG
Nov 28, 2016
504 posts
200 upvotes
Dang
Can we go back and PM?
Lurking on RFD for years. Finally decided to make an account...😂
Dec 19, 2011
281 posts
121 upvotes
JimU wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 1:14 am
was at Queensway location today. The plugs are now $ 19 / 2 units. bought another 2 packages.
How much is the switches
May 31, 2016
468 posts
426 upvotes
This is an honest question, they show it plugged into a coffee maker but how would that even work? I mean, I get lights because you'd leave your light switches on (although why wouldn't you just use Hue or an equivalent?) But for things like a coffee maker or a kettle it would control the coffee maker or kettle, just let power go it it right? So it can't actually tune them on?
Jul 11, 2009
373 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
srialva wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 9:37 am
How much is the switches
hmm, i realized i probably shoulda shot a photo of the switches too when i got home to post and looked at the photo. i don't know. sorry.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)