Hot Deals

[Costco] Charging Essentials Wi-Fi Smart Plug x 2 $18.99/Smart Dimmer Switch x 2 $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2019 12:49 pm
Aug 21, 2011
66 posts
39 upvotes
McMasterville
Chandlerparsons wrote:
Apr 18th, 2019 12:33 pm
Then what software do you use after flashing?
Tasmota 6.5.0, the "basic" variant. Coincidentally, it's the same binary that is supplied with the tuya-convert set of scripts.

Once "Tasmotized", it's interfaced via Home Assistant through MQTT.
Sep 2, 2014
267 posts
119 upvotes
recently i bought the CE smart switch, installed and connect them in 2 minutes but each time i switch them on from the CE app or even from there button they switch off after 10 minutes tried to reset and reconnect same issue, plugged them to another power outlet and kept them free without connecting anything on them still same issue, does anyone have similar problem?
Oct 26, 2008
176 posts
106 upvotes
Whitby
tebore wrote:
Apr 4th, 2019 1:52 pm
Not true.

I'm using the Tuya Smartlife app and it updated the firmware on my switches recently.

All the firmware are the same across the devices. it's all part of Tuya's dominance it allows them to have a huge market share because you can go to them buy a design and tell them how you want it branded they do all the leg work. The only difference is in the vendor ID of the device that gets set, their cloud handles all the federation/segregation. Most of the (Cheap ~$10) plugs and switches on the market uses one of the many reference design provided by Tuya. Some vendors go for the UL/CSA testing (CE did) most do not.

I found out between digging around getting Tasmota/OTA Flashing/ Openhab integration.

The app itself doesn't really even need much updating. Most the leg work is handled in the cloud by Tuya. "Updating" the app is easy for these vendors as the reference app is also provided by Tuya and gets rebranded.

Meross = Tuya
Tp-Link uses their own cloud & reference design
Wemo uses their own cloud & Reference design

Great post! Note: Once your Tuya-based devices have been updated, it is very likely they will be 'blocked' from the Tuya-Convert process I mentioned in this thread. Tuya convert is a simple way to place 3rd party firmware on the device, and use it in a home automation environment. The key point I am trying to make, don't connect the device to Tuya-App (or Smartlife) until you're sure you DO NOT want to flash it with 3rd party (unless it's easily disassembled in which case SERIAL flashing may be available). Flashing with 3rd party will DISABLE the Tuya/Smartlife app control, and open a whole new world of control (uniform access to all devices supports some 1600+ and counting in Home Assistant).

Just another way to make your home truly smart-- all devices working together/aware of each-other IF desired! (not required).
I hope this helps. PM me if you want more information/clarification!

[-=SrZ=-]
Oct 26, 2008
176 posts
106 upvotes
Whitby
darkmagician wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 3:25 pm
Quick question for the tech savvy, i bought two of the smart plugs from costco and installed them within minutes using its CE Smart App. I also want to purchase some smart switchs but they will most likely be from a different brand. Is there a all-in-one app that will allow me to manage multiple smart plug/switches of different brands? Thanks!
My suggestion would be to look in to Home Assistant. Its going to look very scary to begin with, but it is truly the solution you are looking for. Otherwise, you can specifically purchase any device that mentions using Smartlife or Tuya apps (
they are the same ) and if you purchase only these devices you will (easily) accomplish your goal.

But imagine..... You get home from work between 5-6 everyday. You have a home alarm system. You ALWAYS want coffee made when you first get home.

Prime your coffee maker in the morning, with home assistant, when you walk through the front door (between 5-6pm) and your alarm system front door reports door open, it will start the coffee pot. By the time you've gone to change in to comfys, put your suitcase down, etc, you can have a fresh cup of coffee ready- never having stepped in to the kitchen. -- this is of course one made up example, but this is all possible. Home Assistant (HassOS w/ Raspberry Pi) great starter setup!

[-=SrZ=-]
May 28, 2005
488 posts
3 upvotes
Etobicoke
sirredz wrote:
My suggestion would be to look in to Home Assistant. Its going to look very scary to begin with, but it is truly the solution you are looking for. Otherwise, you can specifically purchase any device that mentions using Smartlife or Tuya apps (
they are the same ) and if you purchase only these devices you will (easily) accomplish your goal.

But imagine..... You get home from work between 5-6 everyday. You have a home alarm system. You ALWAYS want coffee made when you first get home.

Prime your coffee maker in the morning, with home assistant, when you walk through the front door (between 5-6pm) and your alarm system front door reports door open, it will start the coffee pot. By the time you've gone to change in to comfys, put your suitcase down, etc, you can have a fresh cup of coffee ready- never having stepped in to the kitchen. -- this is of course one made up example, but this is all possible. Home Assistant (HassOS w/ Raspberry Pi) great starter setup!

[-=SrZ=-]
I just bought the CE Smart dimmer switches but haven’t opened it yet. Currently I have TP Link smart plugs & switches, google home, and Ring doorbell 2. Do all these work with home assistant? I’m new to HA so would love some help or be pointed towards a good reference page for dummies! Note I currently use ifttt and Stringify for home automation but with Stringify going offline soon I need something to replace it!
Oct 5, 2017
254 posts
66 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Apr 4th, 2019 1:52 pm
Not true.

I'm using the Tuya Smartlife app and it updated the firmware on my switches recently.

All the firmware are the same across the devices. it's all part of Tuya's dominance it allows them to have a huge market share because you can go to them buy a design and tell them how you want it branded they do all the leg work. The only difference is in the vendor ID of the device that gets set, their cloud handles all the federation/segregation. Most of the (Cheap ~$10) plugs and switches on the market uses one of the many reference design provided by Tuya. Some vendors go for the UL/CSA testing (CE did) most do not.

I found out between digging around getting Tasmota/OTA Flashing/ Openhab integration.

The app itself doesn't really even need much updating. Most the leg work is handled in the cloud by Tuya. "Updating" the app is easy for these vendors as the reference app is also provided by Tuya and gets rebranded.

Meross = Tuya
Tp-Link uses their own cloud & reference design
Wemo uses their own cloud & Reference design
How would I know if mine is updated? I'm using the Tuya app and not the CE one
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10100 posts
4196 upvotes
Brampton
Chandlerparsons wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 8:26 am
How would I know if mine is updated? I'm using the Tuya app and not the CE one
Click on the switch > Click the little "line pencil icon" on the top right corner > On the menu with all the options scroll till you see "Check for Firmware update" and it'll go and check.

There's apparently 2 versions of the Costco CE Plugs already.

Read the long winded part if you're a DIY HA:

Both runs version 2.2.6 for the Wifi module.

Latest version runs version 3.2.0 for the Controller and the older ones runs 1.0.0

The biggest difference between the two firmwares is in the dimming function.

The old one will go back to the last brightness setting when you turn it on.
On v 3.2.0 if you press to turn on it goes to last value. If you hold the switch from off it will do a dim up and stop at the brightness you want when you let go.

The behaviour in the app is also slightly different. On 3.2.0 You can see a live update of the brightness as you hold to dim or brighten. On V1.0.0 It will only show the resultant value on the app when the final brightness is set.

Both will still allow Tuya Convert to work as both appear to be based off of "V1.x" of the base Tuya Firmware (Unencrypted communications). In V2.x of the base firmware Tuya introduced SSL certs from end to end including on the MQTT side. This will kill Tuya Convert since Tuya Convert is based on some of the possible exploits available on the existing firmware.
Dec 15, 2009
83 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
I installed 2 of these switches in multi-gang and both are buzzing when dimmed.
When the lights are at 100% - there is no buzzing.

Just wondering if this is normal or should I get those replaced?
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3469 posts
155 upvotes
Has anyone seen a smart 3-way switch with a dimmer?
Oct 5, 2017
254 posts
66 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 9:27 am
Click on the switch > Click the little "line pencil icon" on the top right corner > On the menu with all the options scroll till you see "Check for Firmware update" and it'll go and check.

There's apparently 2 versions of the Costco CE Plugs already.

Read the long winded part if you're a DIY HA:

Both runs version 2.2.6 for the Wifi module.

Latest version runs version 3.2.0 for the Controller and the older ones runs 1.0.0

The biggest difference between the two firmwares is in the dimming function.

The old one will go back to the last brightness setting when you turn it on.
On v 3.2.0 if you press to turn on it goes to last value. If you hold the switch from off it will do a dim up and stop at the brightness you want when you let go.

The behaviour in the app is also slightly different. On 3.2.0 You can see a live update of the brightness as you hold to dim or brighten. On V1.0.0 It will only show the resultant value on the app when the final brightness is set.

Both will still allow Tuya Convert to work as both appear to be based off of "V1.x" of the base Tuya Firmware (Unencrypted communications). In V2.x of the base firmware Tuya introduced SSL certs from end to end including on the MQTT side. This will kill Tuya Convert since Tuya Convert is based on some of the possible exploits available on the existing firmware.
I checked my ce smart plugs and it's on ver 0.4.2. Am I out of luck?
Oct 11, 2016
271 posts
44 upvotes
rs97ap wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 6:23 pm

Normal...happens on all of mine (many installed.)

Even some of my normal non wifi dimmers buzz. The one wifi dimmer that doesn't buzz is Belkin WeMo. But again the WeMo, TP-LINK switches are better quality. You get what you pay for.
Dec 13, 2005
127 posts
19 upvotes
It did on some of my lights. When install with most of the LED, it did not buzz, but it does with all of the traditional "energy saving" fluorescent.
rs97ap wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 6:23 pm

Dec 15, 2009
83 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
yydd4567 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 11:21 am
Normal...happens on all of mine (many installed.)

Even some of my normal non wifi dimmers buzz. The one wifi dimmer that doesn't buzz is Belkin WeMo. But again the WeMo, TP-LINK switches are better quality. You get what you pay for.
Understood. I don't have any problem with the buzz as long as it is not a malfunction.
Dec 15, 2009
83 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
glee wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 11:49 am
It did on some of my lights. When install with most of the LED, it did not buzz, but it does with all of the traditional "energy saving" fluorescent.
All my lights are actually LED - not fluorescent
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10100 posts
4196 upvotes
Brampton
Chandlerparsons wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 11:03 am
I checked my ce smart plugs and it's on ver 0.4.2. Am I out of luck?
Sorry I meant to say switches not plugs in my post.

I actually don't have any of the plugs.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)