Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Charging Essentials Wi-Fi Smart Plug x 2 $18.99/Smart Dimmer Switch x 2 $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2019 9:13 pm
Mar 7, 2011
10 posts
2 upvotes
Eastern Passage
I just picked up a 2-pack of the smart plugs, at the Costco in Dartmouth (NS), for $10. Might have been $9.97.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
2167 posts
1454 upvotes
Kitchener
Do the smart plugs monitor wattage usage?

Thanks!
Gaming PC: i5 9400f, GTX 1070 8gb x2, 32GB RAM
Media PC: i5 6500, GTX 1060 6gb, 16GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8
Oct 14, 2015
261 posts
182 upvotes
Halifax, NS
coulombemr wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 5:40 am
I just picked up a 2-pack of the smart plugs, at the Costco in Dartmouth (NS), for $10. Might have been $9.97.
I'm in Hali before I drive into Darkness how many were left ?
thanks
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1584 posts
262 upvotes
Vaughan
rs97ap wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 6:23 pm
I installed 2 of these switches in multi-gang and both are buzzing when dimmed.
When the lights are at 100% - there is no buzzing.

Just wondering if this is normal or should I get those replaced?
yydd4567 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 11:21 am
Normal...happens on all of mine (many installed.)

Even some of my normal non wifi dimmers buzz. The one wifi dimmer that doesn't buzz is Belkin WeMo. But again the WeMo, TP-LINK switches are better quality. You get what you pay for.
glee wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 11:49 am
It did on some of my lights. When install with most of the LED, it did not buzz, but it does with all of the traditional "energy saving" fluorescent.
rs97ap wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 12:50 pm
Understood. I don't have any problem with the buzz as long as it is not a malfunction.
I have 5 of these installed and not one has a buzz that I could tell, dimmed or not. I have all LEDs (A19s or potlights). When I had a non smart dimmer switch with older LEDs or compact florescents, I used to have a buzz. It's likely not the switches, it's likely your bulbs. Try changing some and see if the buzz disappears.
Jul 18, 2018
12 posts
5 upvotes
Just installed 3 of the dimmer switches. I'm giving it a few days to see if they're working okay before installing more. So far so good - quite happy with them. I bought Lifx bulbs at first, but decided to go smart switches - better because you can physically turn then on/off, with app and with voice if connected to AI speakers. Works well with both Alexa and Google home. If you have the options, put them on a separate network.

No buzzing sound, but the lights sometimes flicker, which from what I read does happen even with 'dumb'-dimmers - liked to hear of any flickering issues and solutions.
Overall quite happy with these.
But now I'm locking for a 3-way smart switches. Any suggestions?

--- update---
I'm having issues with dimming from the CE app and google home. From 30% to 100% the brightness is pretty much the same. Brightness really only changes from 10% to 30%, anything under 10% is too dim to even tell if it's on. But the physical switch seems to give you better control.
Last edited by jlogan755 on May 16th, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 28, 2016
513 posts
202 upvotes
This is a bit confusing but I hope someone might understand and have the answers.

Some say it’s better to connect the plugs to a different network, such as guest network, for security reasons.
However, I also have multiple google home to give me voice control.
And the google home has to be on the same wifi as my phone in order for my phone to control it with the home app.
So if I connect all the plugs to guest network, and google home to my main network, will google home be able to see all the plugs? (I assume yes because it’s just linking the Smartlife account to my google account?)
Or, is it possible to put all the smart home products to the guest network including the google home? Is there a way I can still control devices and music in google home app through my phone?

TIA
Lurking on RFD for years. Finally decided to make an account...😂
Jul 18, 2018
12 posts
5 upvotes
So if I connect all the plugs to guest network, and google home to my main network, will google home be able to see all the plugs?
Yes, both google home and alexa devices will be able to see and control the switches even if they are on a network other than your AI devices, as long as they both are connected to the internet - I have the same setup. The switches connect to the CE server and you will be linking your CE account with google assistant. But if you put your google home on a network other than your phone, you might have issues casting - I know for chromecast it does, haven't tried with google home.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2835 posts
412 upvotes
Vancouver
As some other posters mentioned, these are 14.99 at the Burnaby Willingdon location when I went by today. However, it looks like the "regular" price is $19.99 with the $5 off. Didn't catch the expiration date of the sale price however.
Nov 28, 2016
513 posts
202 upvotes
I’m pretty sure it does
After some research I think the best way is to put all smart products to a second network, google home and Alexa on main network.

Right now I put everything to the same network. Smart plugs in 2.4 and phone and other stuff all in 5G. The 2.4G is super slow if I accidentally connected my phone to it lol
Lurking on RFD for years. Finally decided to make an account...😂
Apr 11, 2013
19 posts
23 upvotes
NowJoJo wrote:
Apr 30th, 2019 7:41 am
Do the smart plugs monitor wattage usage?

Thanks!
No it doesn't.

Also, Markham and 14th Ave has it down for $14.99 as of yesterday.
Images
  • upload.jpg
Oct 5, 2017
304 posts
92 upvotes
sirredz wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 8:38 pm

My suggestion would be to look in to Home Assistant. Its going to look very scary to begin with, but it is truly the solution you are looking for. Otherwise, you can specifically purchase any device that mentions using Smartlife or Tuya apps (
they are the same ) and if you purchase only these devices you will (easily) accomplish your goal.

But imagine..... You get home from work between 5-6 everyday. You have a home alarm system. You ALWAYS want coffee made when you first get home.

Prime your coffee maker in the morning, with home assistant, when you walk through the front door (between 5-6pm) and your alarm system front door reports door open, it will start the coffee pot. By the time you've gone to change in to comfys, put your suitcase down, etc, you can have a fresh cup of coffee ready- never having stepped in to the kitchen. -- this is of course one made up example, but this is all possible. Home Assistant (HassOS w/ Raspberry Pi) great starter setup!

[-=SrZ=-]
tebore wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 2:09 pm
Sorry I meant to say switches not plugs in my post.

I actually don't have any of the plugs.
Just flashed 6 plugs yesterday using the version above. Sweet!! Any recommendations on smart bulbs?
Aug 13, 2018
25 posts
31 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Apr 26th, 2019 9:27 am
Click on the switch > Click the little "line pencil icon" on the top right corner > On the menu with all the options scroll till you see "Check for Firmware update" and it'll go and check.

There's apparently 2 versions of the Costco CE Plugs already.

Read the long winded part if you're a DIY HA:

Both runs version 2.2.6 for the Wifi module.

Latest version runs version 3.2.0 for the Controller and the older ones runs 1.0.0

The biggest difference between the two firmwares is in the dimming function.

The old one will go back to the last brightness setting when you turn it on.
On v 3.2.0 if you press to turn on it goes to last value. If you hold the switch from off it will do a dim up and stop at the brightness you want when you let go.

The behaviour in the app is also slightly different. On 3.2.0 You can see a live update of the brightness as you hold to dim or brighten. On V1.0.0 It will only show the resultant value on the app when the final brightness is set.

Both will still allow Tuya Convert to work as both appear to be based off of "V1.x" of the base Tuya Firmware (Unencrypted communications). In V2.x of the base firmware Tuya introduced SSL certs from end to end including on the MQTT side. This will kill Tuya Convert since Tuya Convert is based on some of the possible exploits available on the existing firmware.
Glad to see I'm not the only one converting these plugs and dimmers to Tasmota.

Do you know if there's a way to update the controller after flashing Tasmota? I'd really rather not flash back to stock and then convert again, just to upgrade the controller.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10620 posts
4892 upvotes
Brampton
RyanE52327 wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 10:45 am
Glad to see I'm not the only one converting these plugs and dimmers to Tasmota.

Do you know if there's a way to update the controller after flashing Tasmota? I'd really rather not flash back to stock and then convert again, just to upgrade the controller.
No Need. Tasmota is the new firmware for the controller.
Aug 13, 2018
25 posts
31 upvotes
tebore wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 10:47 am
No Need. Tasmota is the new firmware for the controller.
hmm I was thinking that there was still a separate controller aside from the Tasmota half of things. Nevermind!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10620 posts
4892 upvotes
Brampton
RyanE52327 wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 10:52 am
hmm I was thinking that there was still a separate controller aside from the Tasmota half of things. Nevermind!
No the ESP8266 is the brains. It's just in Tuya firmware it's more modular.