• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2020 8:33 am
[OP]
Sep 29, 2010
64 posts
71 upvotes
Halifax

Check Your Costco Shop Card Balance!

Just learned today... an internal memo at Costco dated May 8...
If you had an e-Shop Card from Costco... the balance (and the card # itself) may have disappeared...
no explanation as to why... I just know my card (with remaining balance) is not in their system...
Costco claims any card with a balance of over $5 will have a physical card mailed to them...
For those who have less the $5 on their Shop card... tough luck I guess...
22 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3916 posts
1555 upvotes
Quebec
gkdyeung wrote: Just learned today... an internal memo at Costco dated May 8...
If you had an e-Shop Card from Costco... the balance (and the card # itself) may have disappeared...
no explanation as to why... I just know my card (with remaining balance) is not in their system...
Costco claims any card with a balance of over $5 will have a physical card mailed to them...
thx for the warning op!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26694 posts
6963 upvotes
Thanks OP. I checked two I've had for several years (from before I even had a Costco membership lol), they are still showing full balance though. Should probably use these, come to think of it.
Sep 16, 2013
982 posts
503 upvotes
SW ON
Two months ago Costco supposedly mailed me a shop card. It hasn't arrived. Something is fishy about all this.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
4694 posts
3054 upvotes
thanks for sharing, op. I see you are a Newbie here so let me help you out: Unless you don't care getting drowned with downvotes, you should post your things in the good forum. But I understand that you wanted toreach as much as RFD members as possible, and that the hot deals forum is the most popular forum on this board...
Jun 1, 2008
80 posts
18 upvotes
Pickering
I spoke with Costco Customer Service on the phone and in store and both confirmed that there was an issue with the 3rd party provider of these e-gift cards and physical cards mailed to you. If you do not receive yours within a 4-6 weeks call the customer service number on their website and they will look into it.
Nov 17, 2003
352 posts
48 upvotes
Thanks. I noticed my card balance went to zero. Didn't get a chance to call them yet.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
13165 posts
10397 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
brararsh23 wrote: Why I see -1000 already in down votes?
Down Votes don’t mean much on RFD
Could be any number of reasons for those voting
* Wrong Forum
* Don’t like the Topic
* Don’t like the Retailer
* Don’t like the Offer
* Don’t like the Poster etc

Looks like this one was cuz the OP put in the wrong Forum (guessing Hot Deals)
As @gkdyeung is fairly new to RFD
It pays to become familiar with ALL the aspects of RFD (Everyone should bookmark this Directory for ease of use )
FORUMS DIRECTORY = https://forums.redflagdeals.com/

A lot more going on on RFD than just the HOT DEALS Section
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
2247 posts
990 upvotes
SW Ontario
I don't know if it's related but I ordered something and used my cash card to pay for it - then canceled the order before it shipped and checked my balance a week later and the refund hadn't been made yet - contacted them and they said the money was refunded on the day I canceled the order - but it wasn't, so I contacted them again and they said it could take 10 business days - waited til business day 11 and still no refund - contacted them again and they said they would open an investigation. A few days later they emailed and said they were still investigating.

I kept checking my balance and it was another week before the refund was made on my card, with no more communication from them since the email about continuing to investigate. Strange that it had shown on their end that the refund was issued on the cash card, but it wasn't.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
13165 posts
10397 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
trinidolphin wrote: I spoke with Costco Customer Service on the phone and in store and both confirmed that there was an issue with the 3rd party provider of these e-gift cards and physical cards mailed to you. If you do not receive yours within a 4-6 weeks call the customer service number on their website and they will look into it.
Good post / info

Everyone should be aware when getting a Shop Card from Costco Due to a promo ** ... one has a choice
* Mailed Plastic Shop Card via Canada Post
Or
* Emailed Electronic Shop Card

** Example BUY X or SPEND $ Y and get a Costco Shop Card
You can choose either plastic or eCard
If your intent is to keep it for yourself ... then the eCard makes a lot of sense
Useable In Store or On Line
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
3961 posts
2041 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Spend those cards on TP as soon as you get them, problem solved. Face Screaming In Fear :twisted:
[OP]
Sep 29, 2010
64 posts
71 upvotes
Halifax
yes... don't let my distinguished sign up date fool you... i'm definitely a newbie... forgot about this gem of a website up until just recently.
definitely posted on the wrong forum. it was more of a "FYI" post.

my e-shop card was issued in march... the promo was for buying 4 tires from costco...
they really pulled a fast one on customers... definitely going for physical plastic card next time...
though generally don't like being "stuck" with cash on a gift card if i can avoid it.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
13165 posts
10397 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
gkdyeung wrote: yes... don't let my distinguished sign up date fool you... i'm definitely a newbie... forgot about this gem of a website up until just recently.
definitely posted on the wrong forum. it was more of a "FYI" post.

my e-shop card was issued in march... the promo was for buying 4 tires from costco...
they really pulled a fast one on customers... definitely going for physical plastic card next time...
though generally don't like being "stuck" with cash on a gift card if i can avoid it.
So it was an eShop Card.

We too bought tires ... middle of March
Just before the lockdown
The eShop Card arrived by email 5 days later
No issues.
Cashed it for a Costco.ca purchase about 1 month later

Of interest ... when we bought the tires the VERY THOROUGH Costco Consultant logged our info ... but they also double-checked our account as well ... for whatever reason, our profile at the store slightly differed from our online account info (error in email or phone number ... cannot recall which one). Anyhow they UPDATED the info ... and as I said we got the eShop Card a few days after we bought the tires.

Maybe ... that’s the issue. The contact info for your in store account is wrong ... so you never got the email
Or it went to Spam, Junk Mail, Promotions etc
All reasons you could very well miss it

Given a choice ... I’d definitely opt for an eShop Card over a Plastic One