Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Chef’s Choice Hybrid 3-stage Knife Sharpener (Model 270) $67.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2021 3:32 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
1433 posts
40 upvotes

[Costco] Chef’s Choice Hybrid 3-stage Knife Sharpener (Model 270) $67.99

Missed out on the $99 Chef's Choice 1520 awhile back and just saw this pop up. Looks like a decent deal with good reviews on Amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/ChefsChoice-Sharp ... B008AF0Y80) and also cheaper as well (Amazon price is $81.63). Only 149 left on Costco.ca as of this posting.
28 replies
Member
User avatar
Jun 23, 2005
363 posts
197 upvotes
Hamilton
I bought the 1520 and it worked very well. The knives came out incredibly sharp. In fact, it was so sharp when I was slicing a potato, I oops'd off a little slice of finger as well. It is like surgical sharp.
❗
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1640 posts
1875 upvotes
Airdrie
I also recommend these sharpeners.
Easier than any other system out there.

The advantage of the 1520 is being able to do 15 (japanese) and 20 degree (european/american) knives. But only two stages for each angle.

This trizor sharpener will do the 20 degree knives even better with the extra stage, but don't put any Japanese knives through it.
Sr. Member
Nov 10, 2003
896 posts
328 upvotes
Anyone know if this model can be used on Global chef knives? Literature indicates the sharpener adds a 20* angle to the edge, which is great for European knives.

Edit: just saw Willy's response.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2002
1540 posts
982 upvotes
I’ve been watching for the 1520 to return with no luck so far. The hybrid 270 has been available at Costco.ca for at least a few weeks at this price point.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3523 posts
1712 upvotes
Mississauga
DC5R wrote: Anyone know if this model can be used on Global chef knives? Literature indicates the sharpener adds a 20* angle to the edge, which is great for European knives.

Edit: just saw Willy's response.
So are global Japanese? Not sure from your response are they considered 15 or 20 degree knives? Got a bunch of them that need sharpening.
I have unopened 1520 as I'm not sure if I should keep or get this one ?
Last edited by TLSRULZ on Jul 6th, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1640 posts
1875 upvotes
Airdrie
TLSRULZ wrote: So are global American? Not sure from your response? And are they considered 20 degree knives? Got a bunch of them that need sharpening.
I have unopened 1520 as I'm not sure if I should keep or get this one ?
Global knives are Japanese and you should use the 15 degree slot on the 1520 sharpener.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2710 posts
2616 upvotes
Will this (or the 1520) get a knife back to "factory" sharp? I used a stone but can never get it back to factory sharp. It is close, but can't seem to get it all the way there...
Jr. Member
Sep 22, 2010
161 posts
175 upvotes
Guelph
vader_slri wrote: I’ve been watching for the 1520 to return with no luck so far. The hybrid 270 has been available at Costco.ca for at least a few weeks at this price point.
I was watching for it as well and had no luck. One of the times I checked they had the two stage 315xv (for 15 degree blades) for $89 so I picked that up (I would have posted but after I bought it went out of stock). It works pretty well but it left some marks on my blades. Marks aside is sharpens pretty darn good... sliced through paper like nothing.

They have had the 270 in stock since the 1520 deal, I thought about picking it up but then I realized it is only for 20 degree blades.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3523 posts
1712 upvotes
Mississauga
mcwilly wrote: Global knives are Japanese and you should use the 15 degree slot on the 1520 sharpener.
Thx.. I realised my mistyped right after I hit send .. and corrected but you were too fast :)
Newbie
Mar 3, 2020
84 posts
25 upvotes
What's the equivalent of the Trizor XV? I don't want to have to pull through on step 3
Member
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
260 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
v1p3r69 wrote: I was watching for it as well and had no luck. One of the times I checked they had the two stage 315xv (for 15 degree blades) for $89 so I picked that up (I would have posted but after I bought it went out of stock). It works pretty well but it left some marks on my blades. Marks aside is sharpens pretty darn good... sliced through paper like nothing.

They have had the 270 in stock since the 1520 deal, I thought about picking it up but then I realized it is only for 20 degree blades.
Thanks for the heads up, I cancelled my order. I need the sharpener for both Japanese and European knives. Will wait for 1520 to go on sale.
Member
Nov 24, 2018
252 posts
347 upvotes
I don't think this deal is a special price, just what it's usually carried at. Only sharpening to 20 degrees means it's no good for a lot of folks.

I know the general understanding has been 15 for Japanese and 20 for European, but I just checked and all my Zwiling and JA Henckles knives (which aren't anything fancy or special) are all 15 degrees. So make sure you check before buying.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 24, 2005
701 posts
116 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Zook123 wrote: I don't think this deal is a special price, just what it's usually carried at. Only sharpening to 20 degrees means it's no good for a lot of folks.

I know the general understanding has been 15 for Japanese and 20 for European, but I just checked and all my Zwiling and JA Henckles knives (which aren't anything fancy or special) are all 15 degrees. So make sure you check before buying.
How did you check that the angles were all 15 degs?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2002
1540 posts
982 upvotes
v1p3r69 wrote: I was watching for it as well and had no luck. One of the times I checked they had the two stage 315xv (for 15 degree blades) for $89 so I picked that up (I would have posted but after I bought it went out of stock). It works pretty well but it left some marks on my blades. Marks aside is sharpens pretty darn good... sliced through paper like nothing.

They have had the 270 in stock since the 1520 deal, I thought about picking it up but then I realized it is only for 20 degree blades.
Yes, I also saw the 315 briefly available but decided against it. 1520 or bust for me!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2007
1178 posts
661 upvotes
I had a camelizer going for the 1520 on Amazon and it popped up last week at $135.50. I picked it up within about 5 minutes and was about to post the deal on RFD but the deal went belly up within 10-15 minutes of it going down to 135 and was right back at $200. It did ship out at the lower price and even though I missed the $99 Costco deal, I'm pretty happy with $135 and not going to complain.
Newbie
Jan 16, 2014
77 posts
23 upvotes
Edmonton
rngun wrote: How did you check that the angles were all 15 degs?
Use 2 straight edge to form an angle of 30 degrees, then taped them together with the “V” open. Slide the knife to “V” point pointing to some light source:
see some light between “V” and edge, the knife is more than 15 degrees per side or too dull.
The bevels touch the “V”, then the angle is exactly 15 degrees per side.
The bevels is smaller than the “V”, then the angle is less than 15 degrees per side.

German style of knives are too thick, 15 degrees per side helps a little bit.
Japanese knives are too thin and the 15 degrees per side are not visible. User are supposed to give it a proper angle like 5 degrees on one side and 5 to 40 degree on the other side. Since the knife is so thin, angle does not affect sharpness.
Sr. Member
Nov 3, 2010
846 posts
772 upvotes
What happens if you sharpen a knife that's 15 degrees at 20?

Top