Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Chef’s Choice Hybrid 3-stage Knife Sharpener (Model 270) $67.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2021 3:32 am
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10820 posts
2535 upvotes
damnit. wasn't expect to spend money today. :(

btw, i have an square chinese butcher knife.. what degree should I use?
Jan 16, 2014
77 posts
23 upvotes
Edmonton
kingofwale wrote: damnit. wasn't expect to spend money today. :(

btw, i have an square chinese butcher knife.. what degree should I use?
Depends on what you use it for.
If it for chopping bones, don’t thin it and just convex the edge untill it’s sharp; at about 20 to 30 degrees per side.

For just meat and soft stuff, just give it 15 to 20 degrees per side.

For harder and crunchy vegetables, thin the knife as much you can and give 15 to 25 degrees inclusive.

Best to test a knife is to sharpen a pencil with the knife.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1179 posts
663 upvotes
Ambushes wrote: What happens if you sharpen a knife that's 15 degrees at 20?
Not much, you'll be changing the secondary bevel and will have to take a bit more off to get it to that angle but once you're there your knife will just be a 20 degree knife instead of 15. Just remember all of your knife angles once done and you'll be good for a small touch up each time.
Nov 24, 2018
257 posts
351 upvotes
rngun wrote: How did you check that the angles were all 15 degs?
The manufacturer's website, or found listings of the same knife for sale that listed specs.
Jan 16, 2014
77 posts
23 upvotes
Edmonton
richardvoyageur wrote: Not much, you'll be changing the secondary bevel and will have to take a bit more off to get it to that angle but once you're there your knife will just be a 20 degree knife instead of 15. Just remember all of your knife angles once done and you'll be good for a small touch up each time.
Nope.
2xsin(20) / (2xsin(15)) is about 1.3
Knife at 20 degrees per side need 1.3 time more force to start push cut some hard stuff compared to knife 15 degrees per side.

Manufacturers list the angles per side, but they are rarely true. You will lose the edge very quick anyway. The thickness of knives are also inconsistent too. You maintain the edge with few more degrees, as you can’t hone the entire bevel.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1739 posts
2212 upvotes
Airdrie
Old thread, but 360 units available at $63.99 right now, costco.ca.