Chef’sChoice 1520 Knife Sharpener Is back at Costco for $99.99 - now OOS

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2020 8:35 pm
[OP]
Dec 12, 2007
28 posts
56 upvotes
Scarborough Ont

[Costco] Chef’sChoice 1520 Knife Sharpener Is back at Costco for $99.99 - now OOS

This is my 1st deal posted, so please let me know If I missed any info that I should have included.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
It’s the world’s most versatile sharpener, engineered to apply incredibly sharp edges on all your Euro/American and Asian style knives (15° and 20° class knives).

3-Stage, AngleSelect® system for optimum versatility in providing perfect edges for each type of knife: kitchen, sports, pocket and serrated knives.
100% diamond abrasives for sharpening and honing
Patented flexible stropping/polishing disks for a upper sharp, microscopically flawless polished edge

Update - currently out of stock but some users in this thread have recommended checking back tomorrow morning.
Last edited by Stitchy on Jul 17th, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
106 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2007
2320 posts
683 upvotes
Was this the sale price last time? I remember the thread but not the price.

Those of you that bought it... Worth it?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
4577 posts
735 upvotes
Toronto
Good price, a similar model is $198 on amazon
You can give a person knowledge, but you can't make them think. Some people want to remain fools because the truth requires change.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
1212 posts
328 upvotes
Raimond wrote: Was this the sale price last time? I remember the thread but not the price.

Those of you that bought it... Worth it?
same price, but $100 less than Amazon, and around $30 less than a third party seller on Amazon that popped up once i think. It was sold out last time and someone posted 100+ stock at one point.
Dec 6, 2010
50 posts
69 upvotes
Ottawa
2 min after OP posted, I checked that stock was at 248. We're at 237 now.
Won't be long before exponential RFD effect.

Thanks for posting! In for one.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2007
2320 posts
683 upvotes
Ok thanks for info. Decided to pick one up. Now need a knife that won't break the bank. I remember there was a knife thread around same time as back then but I was too cheap. Now I regret it. At least this sharpener will hopefully make my crappy knives decent.
Jul 16, 2020
32 posts
40 upvotes
Thanks OP.

Been lurking this forum for months, Finally signed-up to post as I ordered this sharpener 2 minutes ago ..
Will it be good enough for Shun Classic (Chef 6'' and Kiritsuke 8'') ?
Dec 22, 2018
48 posts
17 upvotes
I have global and henkel knives. Would this be good to sharpen them? I know, I should be sharpening them more. *facepalm*
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1364 posts
2070 upvotes
Hammonds
Mistro wrote: How would this be worth it over something manual like this, for usage with not too expensive knives? (Like some vitorinox chef and pearing knives, and an old kitchenaid block set i got at ksp like 7 years back)?

https://www.amazon.ca/Lightsmax-Kitchen ... arp&sr=8-4
They work fine, but for the extra $80 this thing won't disappoint. Honestly one sharpening and regular honing suffices. The one sharpening may take a while with the manual sharpeners is all. I have a 1520 and do not regret the purchase at all, despite about 40 minutes of use a year over 10 knives.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2430 posts
1609 upvotes
North Vancouver
For those that have this, how do you know which stage to use? Does the tool help you understand what the difference is between 15 and 20 degree knives?
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Jun 23, 2005
362 posts
197 upvotes
Hamilton
Raimond wrote: Ok thanks for info. Decided to pick one up. Now need a knife that won't break the bank. I remember there was a knife thread around same time as back then but I was too cheap. Now I regret it. At least this sharpener will hopefully make my crappy knives decent.
It definitely works well even on crappy knives - I got one the last time around. I have a random bunch of knives, none of which are "good" and they are all stupid sharp now.
I accidentally sliced off a small piece of finger slicing some potatoes and it was like a surgical cut.
I also jumped on the 2 pc set of Global knives at the same time, and while they haven't had to be sharpened yet, the crappy knives are almost as sharp as the factory Global edge.
❗
Jun 23, 2005
362 posts
197 upvotes
Hamilton
Sorcerer wrote: For those that have this, how do you know which stage to use? Does the tool help you understand what the difference is between 15 and 20 degree knives?
If it's a standard knife, it's likely a 20° edge, if it's a Japanese style, it could be a 15° edge. I sharpened my santuko style knife through the 15° sharpener even though it might not have come from the factory that way and it is very nice.
❗
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2005
5612 posts
32767 upvotes
Montreal
Sorcerer wrote: For those that have this, how do you know which stage to use? Does the tool help you understand what the difference is between 15 and 20 degree knives?
I got it in May...
I groove set is for 15 degree knives, the other is for 20 degree.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1178 posts
661 upvotes
Coming for a guy with a Lanski system and some wetstones, this thing is just a breeze to get a sharp knife. I've sharpened some Henckels, Shuns and others on here already with great results. I like doing it the manual way sometimes but other times it's just so damned easy to pull them through here and have a really nice edge in literally 2 minutes versus 30+ doing it by hand with different stones. It's not as sharp as I can get them the manual way, but the time savings are huge. No brainer price for $99 and it won't last if last time is any indication.
Nov 21, 2010
897 posts
457 upvotes
Canada
Thanks op. I hesitated the last time this deal was here and it went OOS. Grabbing it this time for my low to medium end knives; will still do my high end ones by whetstone but I just don't have the time to do them all proper.
richardvoyageur wrote: Coming for a guy with a Lanski system and some wetstones, this thing is just a breeze to get a sharp knife. I've sharpened some Henckels, Shuns and others on here already with great results. I like doing it the manual way sometimes but other times it's just so damned easy to pull them through here and have a really nice edge in literally 2 minutes versus 30+ doing it by hand with different stones. It's not as sharp as I can get them the manual way, but the time savings are huge. No brainer price for $99 and it won't last if last time is any indication.
Agreed. I use a combination of lansky and whetstone depending on which knife/blade I am working on but sometimes, especially on 'lower' end knives, I'd just like quick and easy, scuffing be damned.
Last edited by likebutta on Jul 17th, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 8, 2006
484 posts
154 upvotes
its hard to measure but a general rule is asian mfgs are 'thinner' 15 degree
Dec 11, 2012
335 posts
1015 upvotes
Waterloo
Down to 180 as of 2:46pm EST.

Ordered, thanks OP! Now its time for the waiting game.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)