Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Chinese God of Fortune Saving Bank ($97)

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2020 11:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 21, 2015
10050 posts
69539 upvotes
Ontario

[Costco] Chinese God of Fortune Saving Bank ($97)

Many Chinese believe in this god because who doesn't want more money. It is a sign of good luck. The Chinese characters on the right-hand means make more money or let the money flow in. Costco's definition is "plenty of money".

This product is back-ordered.


This God of Fortune Saving Bank is hand-carved and displays exquisite detailed craftsmanship. The gorgeous design shows not only originality but the unique Chinoiserie. The colors are traditional and elegant. Sterling bright red is shown on the clothes and emerald green on the jewels. A very benevolent smile offers people mercy and blessing. Four Chinese characters in the right hand signifies "plenty of money". The statue is to imply good fortune and great wealth.


15.9in x 12.4in x 18.8in = around 2.5 iphone x 2 iphone x 3 iphone or 2.5 samsung x 2 samsung x 3 samsung

Image
Last edited by Thatdealguy on Nov 9th, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
40 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4687 posts
2806 upvotes
It doesn't play the theme song when you put money in????

Not a deal.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 23, 2008
820 posts
527 upvotes
Lmao $97.

If you're the type to buy stuff like this, I highly doubt you're the type to save a fortune.
Selling:
My Soul -- PM Me
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3271 posts
781 upvotes
bhrm wrote: It doesn't play the theme song when you put money in????

Not a deal.
hahaha!! so true but it's playing in my head now...

how big is this thing??
found it
Specifications:
Dimensions: 40.6cm x 31.5cm x 48cm ( 15.9in x 12.4in x 18.8in)
Weight: 5.5kg (12lb)
So, i think this is overpriced... I showed it to my parents and they said "that's a waste of money" lol
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Sr. Member
Nov 24, 2018
651 posts
690 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
Thatdealguy wrote: Many Chinese believe in this god because who doesn't want more money. It is a sign of good luck. The Chinese characters on the right-hand means make more money or let the money flow in. Costco's definition is "plenty of money".

This product is back-ordered.


This God of Fortune Saving Bank is hand-carved and displays exquisite detailed craftsmanship. The gorgeous design shows not only originality but the unique Chinoiserie. The colors are traditional and elegant. Sterling bright red is shown on the clothes and emerald green on the jewels. A very benevolent smile offers people mercy and blessing. Four Chinese characters in the right hand signifies "plenty of money". The statue is to imply good fortune and great wealth.



Image
Seriously, just get one on aliexpress; pacific mall, new horizon mall, or simply chinatown.
If you are really superstitutious, you have to get this type of idol/ fake God bless by monks or nuns.
The quote is "Fortune coming", it's written in Traditional Chinese, either this is from HK or taiwan.
Seriously, who works at Costco.ca dictate what's on the catalog, Damn. Do they even market research before loading stock on their website?
Backorder on Day 1 for this "what's new this week" to taste the water? WTH?

As well, I am having a bit of frustration with Costco.ca lately.
To begin with, they often have fake sales. Flyer have promo pricing, then it's either OOS or Backorder, or just release 5-10 item for the entire sale period. You can't really get any items at all at the advertise price.
You call CSR, they said, they would honor the same price if you call them after the sale period are over. Lie, because you cannot order, as they remove the item from the catalog.
Last edited by BertL67369 on Nov 9th, 2020 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
===========
Zoomer 22.5$ unlimited calls/ text + Fido 5$ 4GB; Dual sim P30 Lite.
On Waitlist for QC coverage for Freedom mobile 99$/yr.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
13964 posts
9045 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Should be priced at 88 bucks!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2561 posts
1157 upvotes
Orleans, ON
Looks like something I should find in a Dollarama.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 13, 2005
7147 posts
1349 upvotes
putting a hole in God of Fortune... good omen.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 21, 2015
10050 posts
69539 upvotes
Ontario
BertL67369 wrote: Seriously, just get one on aliexpress; pacific mall, new horizon mall, or simply chinatown.
If you are really superstitutious, you have to get this type of idol/ fake God bless by monks or nuns.
The quote is "Fortune coming", it's written in Traditional Chinese, either this is from HK or taiwan.
Seriously, who works at Costco.ca dictate what's on the catalog, Damn. Do they even market research before loading stock on their website?
Backorder on Day 1 for this "what's new this week" to taste the water? WTH?

As well, I am having a bit of frustration with Costco.ca lately.
To begin with, they often have fake sales. Flyer have promo pricing, then it's either OOS or Backorder, or just release 5-10 item for the entire sale period. You can't really get any items at all at the advertise price.
You call CSR, they said, they would honor the same price if you call them after the sale period are over. Lie, because you cannot order, as they remove the item from the catalog.

can't buy cheap quality when it comes to wealth. this one weighs 5.5kg so it's quite sturdy i guess.

why are people still using Traditional Chinese? I thought everyone uses simplified now. especially in the western countries like USA/CANADA
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
3254 posts
3074 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote: can't buy cheap quality when it comes to wealth. this one weighs 5.5kg so it's quite sturdy i guess.

why are people still using Traditional Chinese? I thought everyone uses simplified now. especially in the western countries like USA/CANADA
It's a regional thing, it has nothing to do with "now" or "then" ..... HK and Taiwan use traditional characters and most of mainland China use simplified
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4687 posts
2806 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote:
why are people still using Traditional Chinese? I thought everyone uses simplified now. especially in the western countries like USA/CANADA
For quality, and for $97 or more I rather buy a handcrafted traditional non-cartoony version.

We were fine for several thousand years of using Traditional and I'm sure the Gods are too.
Sr. Member
Sep 19, 2005
626 posts
183 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote: why are people still using Traditional Chinese? I thought everyone uses simplified now. especially in the western countries like USA/CANADA
simplified chinese was created and used in mainland china in the late 1950's in order to make the most notoriously difficult to learn writing system in the world a bit easier for the populace. it was a resounding success there, vastly reducing the illiteracy rate. but territories not controlled by beijing (e.g. hongkong, taiwan, etc.) at the time obviously never used them.

the character choice in foreign countries though is purely a matter of economics -- they will choose the characters suited to whichever group they most wish to market to. it used to be that most of their immigrants and tourists with money to spend were from hongkong or taiwan, so everyone used traditional chinese. but that trend has completely reversed -- most of the immigrants and tourists with lavish spending habits are now from mainland china. so businesses followed suit and switched up.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 15, 2004
19620 posts
3614 upvotes
Toronto
Thatdealguy wrote: can't buy cheap quality when it comes to wealth. this one weighs 5.5kg so it's quite sturdy i guess.

why are people still using Traditional Chinese? I thought everyone uses simplified now. especially in the western countries like USA/CANADA
The only places that use simplified Chinese are the mainland, Singapore, and places that want to attract mainlanders to shop. All overseas Chinese groups use traditional.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
4951 posts
1839 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote: can't buy cheap quality when it comes to wealth. this one weighs 5.5kg so it's quite sturdy i guess.

why are people still using Traditional Chinese? I thought everyone uses simplified now. especially in the western countries like USA/CANADA
Simplified chinese is horrendous. Can't even guess what character it resembles.

Traditional Characters are way better to understand and read.

Pacific Mall ... First Markham Place ... King Square Shopping Centre .. Langham Square ... these four places would have the cheaper ones and plenty of variety of choices and designs. It's only a symbolic thing.

Costco is way too overpriced for this.
Last edited by jdmfishingonly on Nov 9th, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 1, 2016
907 posts
461 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Should be priced at 88 bucks!
more like $88.88! (no tax! to help you started with saving that fortune!)

or priced to total $88.88 after taxes (if the manufacturers have a sense of humor) Face With Tears Of Joy
Pixelation~
Jr. Member
Nov 22, 2017
153 posts
176 upvotes
Piro21 wrote: The only places that use simplified Chinese are the mainland, Singapore, and places that want to attract mainlanders to shop. All overseas Chinese groups use traditional.
Lol that's totally wrong. Seems you don't understand the Chinese culture that much. Those words are in traditional chinese on purpose, since it is a god from old days.
Screenshot_20201109_101322_com.taobao.taobao.jpg
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 15, 2004
19620 posts
3614 upvotes
Toronto
RudyRFD wrote: Lol that's totally wrong. Seems you don't understand the Chinese culture that much. Those words are in traditional chinese on purpose, since it is a god from old days.
I get that. I wasn't talking about the bank, I was responding to the OP's comment about the prevalence of simplified Chinese.

Top