• Aug 25th, 2019 8:11 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 2, 2015
87 posts
91 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

[Costco] Coleman 8 Person Iron Peak Tent - $129.97

$129.97 at Costco downtown Vancouver. Seems like a great deal as it’s $40 less than online.
Images
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
42 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1109 posts
958 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Thanks. Looking to get a replacement tent. Do you know if this has a divider for seperate rooms?
Jul 22, 2019
152 posts
96 upvotes
How’s the quality of this? Leak? Always worried about cheap tents
Apr 4, 2003
978 posts
92 upvotes
Anyone know if this is easy to set-up and take down? I always wondered whether it's possible to re-package it back up into their carrying case?
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
2731 posts
1037 upvotes
Toronto
doesn't look like it has any fly to go over the tent

you will want to make sure you put tarp underneath this and a tarp canopy over the top of it
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
2731 posts
1037 upvotes
Toronto
congenic wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 12:02 pm
Anyone know if this is easy to set-up and take down? I always wondered whether it's possible to re-package it back up into their carrying case?
setup of coleman's are generally easy once you go through it once

getting it in the bag the way it was store-bought is the hard part and trying to keep the zipper in the cheap carry bag from breaking is even harder (at least in my experience)
Nov 15, 2017
166 posts
407 upvotes
I would be in the wrong campground if I saw 8 adults come out from a tent.
Apr 11, 2007
743 posts
398 upvotes
Oakville
goozy1 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 11:41 am
Thanks. Looking to get a replacement tent. Do you know if this has a divider for seperate rooms?
Divider ? No need gooz, the kids will pass out after being in the lake all day
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
2731 posts
1037 upvotes
Toronto
zebracobra007 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 12:05 pm
I would be in the wrong campground if I saw 8 adults come out from a tent.
8 person tents = 4 person irl
Aug 25, 2012
110 posts
170 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Pass. Who wants to sleep in an expensive purchased tent when you can sleep on the mossy floor underneath the treetop canopy in true RFDer fashion.
If you like them, please be sure to up vote my posts! When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Jan 26, 2017
77 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
I got this 2 years ago and had to return it due to cons I mentioned below. My take:

Pros:
Roomy
Good quality
Rain proof (I actually tested it in rain)

Cons:
Takes lot of space. Took almost half of our campground, no place to put up other stuff (table, shades, etc.)
Takes 2 person/hour to setup (1 person 2 hours or 2 persons 1 hour)

All depends of how many people you are. We were only 2, so most of the space was unused for us. I'd say if you are a family of at least 4 with young kids (10+), go for it. Less than that, go for a 4 or 6 person tent which is way faster to setup and take down.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20193 posts
2092 upvotes
YUL
frozatio wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 12:26 pm
Pass. Who wants to sleep in an expensive purchased tent when you can sleep on the mossy floor underneath the treetop canopy in true RFDer fashion.
I guess I'm in the minority spending $600 on a MEC Cabin 6 tent.
It actually fits 6 people (me, wife and 4 kids) and we even had space for our bags...
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20193 posts
2092 upvotes
YUL
aliatrvash wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 12:44 pm
I got this 2 years ago and had to return it due to cons I mentioned below. My take:

Pros:
Roomy
Good quality
Rain proof (I actually tested it in rain)

Cons:
Takes lot of space. Took almost half of our campground, no place to put up other stuff (table, shades, etc.)
Takes 2 person/hour to setup (1 person 2 hours or 2 persons 1 hour)

All depends of how many people you are. We were only 2, so most of the space was unused for us. I'd say if you are a family of at least 4 with young kids (10+), go for it. Less than that, go for a 4 or 6 person tent which is way faster to setup and take down.
An hour to set up a tent!? wtf....you're doing something wrong or a rookie camper. I've set up large coleman tents and never has it taken me more than 20 minutes. It's not a con that it's big if you need a big tent. It's like saying a con for water is that it's wet.

Every tent is rain proof on the first outing. It's only when you take it out various times, and after being exposed to the elements and put away and taken back out repeatedly that you need to worry. Coleman tents are good for a few times camping, but that's about it. You want a real tent that will last years, will remain waterproof and is high quality, then get: Big Agnes, MSR, MEC, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear...
Jan 30, 2008
563 posts
90 upvotes
For the avg family, the Colemans are more than enough but agree with najibs if you plan on using it more or in rainy weather, spring for a "brand name" one. One of the biggest issues with the 'family camping' types of brands (Coleman, Ozark Trails, etc.) is weatherproofing - aside from weight, protection against sand, rain, wind, etc. is usually where they're weakest.
May 8, 2018
13 posts
3 upvotes
A waterproof spray treatment should bring water resistance up to par