• Aug 25th, 2019 8:11 pm
Tags:
Jan 26, 2017
77 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
najibs wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 12:55 pm
An hour to set up a tent!? wtf....you're doing something wrong or a rookie camper. I've set up large coleman tents and never has it taken me more than 20 minutes. It's not a con that it's big if you need a big tent. It's like saying a con for water is that it's wet.

Every tent is rain proof on the first outing. It's only when you take it out various times, and after being exposed to the elements and put away and taken back out repeatedly that you need to worry. Coleman tents are good for a few times camping, but that's about it. You want a real tent that will last years, will remain waterproof and is high quality, then get: Big Agnes, MSR, MEC, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear...
Chill dude. Not a rookie camper here. I set up various types of tents. If you want to set up everything, all the shades, covers and ground poles, it easily takes an hour for 2 persons, from unpacking to full setup.
As I said, it is a good budget tent for an occasional camper family of 4+. Of course regular campers should go for more quality (and pricey) brands.
Sep 18, 2018
34 posts
34 upvotes
I’ve had this one for a couple of years.
Replaced a Coleman I’d had for 15 plus years.
The quality is nothing like that one was.
The zipper on the carry bag is tiny and broke easily.
The setup does take too long, and the waterproofing is weak.
Decent of you can get it cheaply for the odd short trip, but otherwise, I’d look at something else.
Jul 3, 2002
988 posts
2044 upvotes
https://www.amazon.ca/The-Coleman-Compa ... B01D4VBANW

Buy this or one like it if you're not in a hurry. It will go down in price on Amazon. As low as $75 if you can wait. Just set up a price alert on CCC. Don't mind the few bad reviews - morons who don't know how to set up a tent. This goes up in less than 5 minutes with 2 people and 1 person can set it up in less than 10. Good for 2 queen siZe mattresses with room in between and at the end. Used it 5 times so far and rain proof and wind proof.
Jul 31, 2008
333 posts
163 upvotes
Markham
In my experience, once you go beyond a four person tent, you need to spend a lot of money to get something that will really hold up in a storm (and there is nothing worse than getting soaked camping).

I am a big believer in having multiple tents when you have kids. Let them have their own tent, and go nuts. For me, the big advantage of camping with kids is to give them a little freedom and independence. Kids tend to be hyper monitored these days (with cell phones as tracking devices) and camping is a great way to let them relax too. Just put them in charge of setting up and tearing down their own tent (anyone can do it), and odds are you will enjoy camping a lot more. Next step is to teach them how to make a good margarita.
Aug 8, 2009
217 posts
188 upvotes
najibs wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 12:50 pm
I guess I'm in the minority spending $600 on a MEC Cabin 6 tent.
It actually fits 6 people (me, wife and 4 kids) and we even had space for our bags...
Good tent is totally worth it. I got the REI Kingdom 6 and its incredible. Worth every penny
May 10, 2013
769 posts
209 upvotes
We bought this last friday and used over the weekend.

1. First time setup took us 30 minutes. Instruction is super easy to follow.
2. Its spacious for SURE!
3. We put 1 queen air bed and a twin still lots of rooms(family of 4)
4. Its also good in the rain

Yes, we put tarp underneath. Wife likes the tent overall hence we're keeping it.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2449 posts
208 upvotes
Winnipeg
najibs wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 12:50 pm
I guess I'm in the minority spending $600 on a MEC Cabin 6 tent.
It actually fits 6 people (me, wife and 4 kids) and we even had space for our bags...
We have the same tent, vestibule, footprint and divider

Easy up, easy down, all packs away in the bag, never leaks and wind doesn't affect it.

Awesome tent, well worth the money.
Sep 15, 2015
787 posts
723 upvotes
Abbotsford
Life time guarentee with costco returns.
Best tent you will ever buy, for the price and return ability
Mar 22, 2013
741 posts
1060 upvotes
Toronto
Couple points:
1. You should always put a footprint under your tent to keep it protected from damage due to sharp stuff on the ground.
2. Not clear if it has a fly or not, but in my experience the flys on Coleman tents aren't great, and people usually recommend you get a tarp to cover the tent if it's going to rain.
3. I have a Coleman Sundome 6-person tent, and the fly is tiny. If it were to rain and I didn't have a tarp it would be a wet night.
4. Mine has held up fine for three camping trips, so not a lot of use, but so far I am pretty happy with it (hasn't rained on the three trips).
Dec 22, 2009
41 posts
10 upvotes
Vancouver BC
All gone. Bought in June and was hoping to get price protection but the guy was a hardass.
Nov 2, 2006
59 posts
24 upvotes
Calgary Beacon Hill has about 15 left. They are in the 3rd last aisle on the left side of the warehouse.
Images
  • 2E640E7A-6605-4736-B127-F4DDE142AE5F.jpeg