99 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Still one downtown Vancouver.
[OP]
May 2, 2015
91 posts
99 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
No price tag shown which is probably why it’s still here.
Images
  • image.jpg
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1265 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
Picked up one at East Markham today. This is the only spot in GTA that still has it. Probably around 15 left as of 4pm today.

None left at Yorkdale, Richmond Hill, or Yorktech.
Dec 16, 2010
254 posts
172 upvotes
I bought it this summer.

Great size, sleeps a family of 4 with a good amount of stuff. Or 6 without much stuff. Don't count on 8. It is large for most camp sites. Make sure you have one with lots of room.

It does have a fly of course. However, i don't like the design. The way it comes down over the door makes it harder to get in and out, especially if really tall. Wish the front vestibule was removable. Also don't like the way the door is designed. The zipper that holds on the pole in the door is very close to the actual door zipper so it's easy to open the wrong one, especially for kids. Always seem to struggle opening the door.

Had it in rain all week and it stayed dry inside. However, given its size i don't think it will hold up well to heavy winds.

Putting it up isn't too bad. The first time will take longer but once you are used to it then it is manageable. Pay attention to how it was folded in the bag when you take it out so you can fit it back the same way. I have been able to get it in both times but you have to take your time to fold it properly.

The second time I set it up I broke 2 poles. Not sure how as was taking my time and not being rough with it. So it will go back to Costco, but might shop around for another model rather than get the same one.

Overall a good tent that we enjoyed and would have kept using if it hadn't broken. But since I have to take it back anyway, then I will keep looking.
Dec 19, 2007
60 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
My wife and I bought this tent on a similar sale a couple seasons ago. Considering it was only two of us camping it was unnecessarily huge. We have since upgraded to the Marmot Tungsten 4p which I recommend to anyone looking for a comfortable, higher quality tent for 2. Here is my take on this Coleman iron peak:

Setup took about 30-40 minutes to setup. Threading some of the bars through the long sleeves can be a bit tricky as they can snag but it's not a big deal. There are also lots of pegs given the size of the tent. Takedown was straightforward although it was very difficult to fit in the bag. Protip: there is a sheet you can rip off the bottom of the bag to expand it. We encountered heavy rain and the tent stayed perfectly dry. The vestibule is also handy for fitting a tote, shoes, etc. I think you could reasonably fit 5 or so adults. Maybe more if you're counting kids or the people don't mind being very snug. Ventilation was ok but not great.

All in all, I'd recommend this tent for a budget conscious family of 4. For 2 people it's overkill and takes too long to setup. If you're looking for a tent for 2 people the Marmot Tungsten 4P is fantastic and has a lifetime warranty albeit it costs about 3x as much on sale.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
2336 posts
874 upvotes
Burnaby
najibs wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 12:50 pm
I guess I'm in the minority spending $600 on a MEC Cabin 6 tent.
It actually fits 6 people (me, wife and 4 kids) and we even had space for our bags...
Naw man. I bought a motorhome. No more sleeping on the ground for me ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1658 posts
1933 upvotes
Toronto
aliatrvash wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 12:44 pm
I got this 2 years ago and had to return it due to cons I mentioned below. My take:

Pros:
Roomy
Good quality
Rain proof (I actually tested it in rain)

Cons:
Takes lot of space. Took almost half of our campground, no place to put up other stuff (table, shades, etc.)
Takes 2 person/hour to setup (1 person 2 hours or 2 persons 1 hour)

All depends of how many people you are. We were only 2, so most of the space was unused for us. I'd say if you are a family of at least 4 with young kids (10+), go for it. Less than that, go for a 4 or 6 person tent which is way faster to setup and take down.
I set this tent up by myself fresh from costco at camp site. sure, it took me an extra 5 min to guess which pole goes where, but did not take me 2 hours lol......... 45 min tops for first time setup, next time 20-30 min no problem.

Its a large tent, queen bed and a pack and play and a big camping chair inside. for the price, its a good deal for this size.

As for waterproofing, I pretty much also setup a tarp on top of the tent anyways, it helps keep the tent cool if under direct sunlight and baby is in there napping.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1658 posts
1933 upvotes
Toronto
congenic wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 12:02 pm
Anyone know if this is easy to set-up and take down? I always wondered whether it's possible to re-package it back up into their carrying case?
easy to setup and take down. one person job. and yes, i did repack it back in the carrying bag without even the need to open up the extra section. fold the base 2x so its as wide as the poles folded up. then the top layer lays on the base. hold the poles start at one end, use it as leverage to roll it tight. the important part is that to top should be rolled in with the base, many tries to roll the base, then stuff to top into the bag... won't work very well.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2449 posts
208 upvotes
Winnipeg
najibs wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 12:50 pm
I guess I'm in the minority spending $600 on a MEC Cabin 6 tent.
It actually fits 6 people (me, wife and 4 kids) and we even had space for our bags...
It looks like the cabin4, cabin6 and accessories just went on clearance
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2015
1254 posts
758 upvotes
Mont-Royal, QC
Has anyone spot this deal at Costco locations in Montreal?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1767 posts
187 upvotes
Oakville, ON
The mesh cover for the vestibule is a horrible idea. Mesh is generally not very waterproof. :)
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1802 posts
294 upvotes
Hamilton
zebracobra007 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 12:05 pm
I would be in the wrong campground if I saw 8 adults come out from a tent.
Not if, you had a banjo.
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨