• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2020 12:35 am
[OP]
Jan 29, 2008
180 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver

[Costco] Coleman Instant Shelter $159.99

This is a OK deal for online purchase . I called Costco and they don’t sell this product at local store . They have in store a different one which is not on sale and is $189 regular price .
3 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
1119 posts
296 upvotes
Winnipeg
I'd suggest looking at the Ozark Trail 10X10 Gazebo at Walmart which is regular priced at $99.97 You can buy replacement roofs - and screen side walls from Walmart for around $40 each.

I use two of these in Manitoba they stand up to bugs / wind and rain - although best to place them where there is some protection from direct winds. I leave the metal frame setup year 'round - with the 4 legs attached to the concrete / wood surface they are mounted on using tapcon (for concrete) or wood screws. I remove the roof and screens each fall. The roof and screens last for about 3 years before needing replacement due to them disintegrating due to sun damage.

I sew the screen walls to the roof - to prevent mosquitoes coming in from that gap between the roof and the wall & attach the screen wall to the concrete / wood platform base the gazebo is mounted on. If it is mounted on concrete - I use two 'J' channels (used for the bottom edge of house vinyl siding) pushed together - with the screen wall material 'clamped between them' & attach the 2 'J channels' to the concrete to prevent the mosquitoes from coming in from the wall base.

I found the zipper 'door' on the screen walls to be a pain as you have to bend down to open / close the zipper - which can be a challenge if you are carrying a tray of drinks. I picked up one of those Magnetic Mesh Screen Doors that are available at Canadian Tire for around $25 or at the 'dollar store' for around $5. I built a wood 'doorframe' out of 1 X 4's - and attach the door frame to the gazebo roof truss with stainless steel wire and to the wood / concrete surface the gazebo is mounted onto using tapcon screws / wood screws. and then attach the magnetic screen door to that door frame. I cut the screen wall to fit the wood door frame - attaching it to the door frame with push pins.

I can send you pictures if the above description is not clear...
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2538 posts
1217 upvotes
B.C.
careh wrote: I'd suggest looking at the Ozark Trail 10X10 Gazebo at Walmart which is regular priced at $99.97 You can buy replacement roofs - and screen side walls from Walmart for around $40 each.

I use two of these in Manitoba they stand up to bugs / wind and rain - although best to place them where there is some protection from direct winds. I leave the metal frame setup year 'round - with the 4 legs attached to the concrete / wood surface they are mounted on using tapcon (for concrete) or wood screws. I remove the roof and screens each fall. The roof and screens last for about 3 years before needing replacement due to them disintegrating due to sun damage.

I sew the screen walls to the roof - to prevent mosquitoes coming in from that gap between the roof and the wall & attach the screen wall to the concrete / wood platform base the gazebo is mounted on. If it is mounted on concrete - I use two 'J' channels (used for the bottom edge of house vinyl siding) pushed together - with the screen wall material 'clamped between them' & attach the 2 'J channels' to the concrete to prevent the mosquitoes from coming in from the wall base.

I found the zipper 'door' on the screen walls to be a pain as you have to bend down to open / close the zipper - which can be a challenge if you are carrying a tray of drinks. I picked up one of those Magnetic Mesh Screen Doors that are available at Canadian Tire for around $25 or at the 'dollar store' for around $5. I built a wood 'doorframe' out of 1 X 4's - and attach the door frame to the gazebo roof truss with stainless steel wire and to the wood / concrete surface the gazebo is mounted onto using tapcon screws / wood screws. and then attach the magnetic screen door to that door frame. I cut the screen wall to fit the wood door frame - attaching it to the door frame with push pins.

I can send you pictures if the above description is not clear...
I agree with the your suggestion of the ozark trail one. There isn't anything that makes this Coleman one worth an extra $60.

The Walmart Ozark Trail one is great - and you can order cheap generic replacement parts from amazon/wish/ebay/Alibaba etc. OR even the ones at Walmart.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2552 posts
1975 upvotes
Clarington
lennyandcarl wrote: I agree with the your suggestion of the ozark trail one. There isn't anything that makes this Coleman one worth an extra $60.

The Walmart Ozark Trail one is great - and you can order cheap generic replacement parts from amazon/wish/ebay/Alibaba etc. OR even the ones at Walmart.
I took agree with just buying the Ozark Trail. I use the at farmer's markets and the coleman one is of the same quality as the Ozark Trail one.

If you want a higher quality one, I'd highly suggest buying a Impact Canopy (costco has them also). They are fairly more rigid then the others and can be had on sale for $170 every so often.