Price:
229.99USD
Savings:
20%
Expiry:
September 24, 2018
Retailer:
Costco.COM
If you're in the market for one of these, Costco USA has a 60$ discount for the inReach SE+ Satellite Communicator which brings the price down to 229.99USD before tax.
Does not ship to Canada, but they shipped mine to a Kinek location without any issue.
Images
  • imageService.jpeg
Last edited by mincioc on Sep 16th, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Dec 24, 2011
175 posts
198 upvotes
TORONTO, Canada
It’s worth researching the subscription costs for inReach, and it’s rival, Spot, before purchasing. Plans and coverage vary depending on your own location and needs. For example, InReach doesn’t work well in some areas of northern BC, and vice versa.
[OP]
May 11, 2011
13 posts
4 upvotes
RaiderX wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 8:16 am
It’s worth researching the subscription costs for inReach, and it’s rival, Spot, before purchasing. Plans and coverage vary depending on your own location and needs. For example, InReach doesn’t work well in some areas of northern BC, and vice versa.
True, however, I've taken Spot off my list due to messages not being delivered reliably and some really bad customer service.
Dec 24, 2011
175 posts
198 upvotes
TORONTO, Canada
mincioc wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 8:26 am
True, however, I've taken Spot off my list due to messages not being delivered reliably and some really bad customer service.
Totally fair. I’ve heard similar problems with both Spot and inReach. Some skiers got caught in an avalanche last winter and had an inReach and it pinged their location way-off, causing a problem for rescuers. Thankfully everyone came out alive. Similarly, I’ve been in locations far north with a Spot, and at times their has been cell reception yet somehow in a blind spot for Spot’s satellite, meaning the messages and location would not send/receive.

That’s why I suggest asking friends locally who use these to find out which option works best for where you live- it can help save your life, but only if it works.

I do prefer inReach over all.
Dec 2, 2013
48 posts
40 upvotes
My Spot Gen3 works well as long as you keep it always facing upwards.

Good deal though, the 2-way is a great feature.
Dec 24, 2017
673 posts
585 upvotes
So is it a $60 rebate or discount? Your post says rebate, but seems to be a discount. As far as I know, rebate is a refund that you get later on after the purchase.
Oct 26, 2011
71 posts
98 upvotes
Vancouver
RaiderX wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 12:10 pm
That’s why I suggest asking friends locally who use these to find out which option works best for where you live- it can help save your life, but only if it works.
If you really are in a situation that requires 'saving your life', then there is no substitute for a proper personal locator beacon.
https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-plb
or
https://www.mcmurdogroup.com/mcmurdo-pr ... tfind-220/ (I have this)
or similar.

you register with Canadian Military (based in Ottawa), the registration is free, it uses 2 frequencies (one satellite, one local) to find you. It costs $0/month to run for 5 years or so, after which the battery is not guaranteed, and you get just that replaced.

Don't trust your life to toys. InReach is OK for communicating, but it's not a life saving device.
[OP]
May 11, 2011
13 posts
4 upvotes
zylonite wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 12:35 pm
So is it a $60 rebate or discount? Your post says rebate, but seems to be a discount. As far as I know, rebate is a refund that you get later on after the purchase.
Discount, I thought they are the same, sorry.