Costco Concerige review?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2019 4:02 am
Tags:
Mar 17, 2009
182 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga
coolspot wrote: Costco Concerige is useless - all they do is provide you with VERY basic troubleshooting (like reading off the manual) and forwarding your call to the manufacturer's support line.

Not quite. I have had to use the Concierge for warranty issues for a PC and a camera. In both cases, where the Concierge went through the various troubleshooting steps (lengthy with the PC), and it didn't work, they forwarded me to the second tier support at the manufacturer, with whom they discussed the issue before the manufacturer took the call, and the manufacturer arranged for pickup of the product to be repaired.

Anyways, Concierge support is free with the purchase. I have never bought the extended warranty, but I do know that they are an "all perils" warranty (at least for the PC and TV). If I was to buy an appliance, I would likely pay for it.
Jan 18, 2018
1 posts
Completely useless costco extended warranty. Bought a TV from costco with extended warranty. It became defective, called the extended warranty company it too 2 months to find replacement part and did not fix and today took the tv and not ready to provide timeline. When called costco they say it is with insurance company and cannot deal with it. The insurance company says they will try until they can give up it cannot be fixed before getting back to costco. Hopefully will get the tv or money after an year I beleive
Oct 7, 2014
1 posts
2 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Costco Concierge Service (CCS) is useless. Don't fall for it. I bought a Sharp 75" TV in May 2017 and purchased their "Excellent Plus+ 3 years warranty". My TV colour has never been right, the red colour got really red and the people's face on the TV looked like they have sunburn. I should have returned it within my 90 days warranty with Costco. But life got busy, I procrastinated and time flies. Lately, I came across a "Setup Suggestion" for my particular model right from Sharp's website, so I spent about half an hour to re-calibrate my TV. There was a slight improvement but the red colour is still VERY red, like really red lips and skin. So I called Costco Concierge Service and spent another half hour following their "troubleshooting" steps. The rep on the line finally agreed that there is an issue and scheduled an appointment. The technician they sent out was actually from an 3rd party electronic store called Coltech Electronics, not a Costco staff. I have to say I was impressed that the technician could come out the next day but sad to say, I was not impressed by the technician's attitude. When I explained my problem, right away he told me there is no TV that can give you a satisfactory colour, they will all look unnatural, and forget about the "Setup Suggestion"; it doesn't mean anything. Excuse me, then why would anyone pay extra for a good TV, aren't they suppose to give you better picture? And setup suggestion from the manufacturer should mean something. Then he unplugged the HDMI cable, and asked me in a condescending tone if I know what that cable was. I did. Then he said do you know where it was coming from, in the same condescending tone. I did. Then he told me (he didn't do a thing) to unplug the other end from the receiver and plug it directly to the cable box. He then said that's your problem, it's not the TV, it's your receiver. He then adjusted the colour of my TV till the face of the TV people turned pale, and told me my problem is now fixed. He wasn't going to do anything more so I told him to get out. He walked off without re-plugging my cable back to its original position. I called CCS. The rep was sympathetic but all she could do was to call the technician's supervisor; promising that the supervisor should call me back in 1-2 days. I doubt that would result in anything. So the money I paid for the extended service was actually wasted.

If you googled this link https://www.yelp.ca/biz/costco-concierg ... e-issaquah, every bit those reviewers said are true. I wish I had done that before I opted for the Excellence Plus+ 3 year TV Warranty Service Plan. My lesson learned is never pay for extended service of any kind, and definitely not with Costco. They have no control over their 3rd party service technicians and they are too big to worry about a small percentage of disappointed customers.

I apologize for the long-winded review but I want the readers to get the full story. Taking the colour out from a colour TV is not fixing the colour problem. The total time he spent in my house was less than 15 minutes.
Feb 18, 2014
491 posts
287 upvotes
Webshopper38 wrote: Costco Concierge Service (CCS) is useless. Don't fall for it. I bought a Sharp 75" TV in May 2017 and purchased their "Excellent Plus+ 3 years warranty". My TV colour has never been right, the red colour got really red and the people's face on the TV looked like they have sunburn. I should have returned it within my 90 days warranty with Costco. But life got busy, I procrastinated and time flies. Lately, I came across a "Setup Suggestion" for my particular model right from Sharp's website, so I spent about half an hour to re-calibrate my TV. There was a slight improvement but the red colour is still VERY red, like really red lips and skin. So I called Costco Concierge Service and spent another half hour following their "troubleshooting" steps. The rep on the line finally agreed that there is an issue and scheduled an appointment. The technician they sent out was actually from an 3rd party electronic store called Coltech Electronics, not a Costco staff. I have to say I was impressed that the technician could come out the next day but sad to say, I was not impressed by the technician's attitude. When I explained my problem, right away he told me there is no TV that can give you a satisfactory colour, they will all look unnatural, and forget about the "Setup Suggestion"; it doesn't mean anything. Excuse me, then why would anyone pay extra for a good TV, aren't they suppose to give you better picture? And setup suggestion from the manufacturer should mean something. Then he unplugged the HDMI cable, and asked me in a condescending tone if I know what that cable was. I did. Then he said do you know where it was coming from, in the same condescending tone. I did. Then he told me (he didn't do a thing) to unplug the other end from the receiver and plug it directly to the cable box. He then said that's your problem, it's not the TV, it's your receiver. He then adjusted the colour of my TV till the face of the TV people turned pale, and told me my problem is now fixed. He wasn't going to do anything more so I told him to get out. He walked off without re-plugging my cable back to its original position. I called CCS. The rep was sympathetic but all she could do was to call the technician's supervisor; promising that the supervisor should call me back in 1-2 days. I doubt that would result in anything. So the money I paid for the extended service was actually wasted.

If you googled this link https://www.yelp.ca/biz/costco-concierg ... e-issaquah, every bit those reviewers said are true. I wish I had done that before I opted for the Excellence Plus+ 3 year TV Warranty Service Plan. My lesson learned is never pay for extended service of any kind, and definitely not with Costco. They have no control over their 3rd party service technicians and they are too big to worry about a small percentage of disappointed customers.

I apologize for the long-winded review but I want the readers to get the full story. Taking the colour out from a colour TV is not fixing the colour problem. The total time he spent in my house was less than 15 minutes.

Only option I can think of is buy the same/similar tv again and return the older one and keep the new one, do a switch-a-roo.
I've heard of Costco taking back tv's after the 90 days.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)