• Jul 24th, 2020 10:57 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 12, 2020
98 posts
136 upvotes

[Costco] Core Home Fitness Adjustable Dumbbell Set and Stand

• Includes 2 dumbbells and heavy-duty stand
  • Adjustable weight setting between 2.3 kg to 22.7 kg (5 to 50 lb.) on each dumbbell
  • Contoured, soft grip handles designed to make use comfortable and safe
  • Quick weight adjustments with TwistLock™ technology
  • Stand is designed with a heavy-duty frame that keeps dumbbells securely in place
  • Easy-access design encourages proper lifting form
  • Compact design allows you to store and use dumbbells anywhere while still getting that true dumbbell feel

This is less bulky than the Bowflex and faster to adjust than the Powerblock. It has the best of both.

It is worth refunding the $600 Bowflex dumbbells for these.

https://www.costco.ca/core-home-fitness ... 98101.html
Last edited by TomRFD on Jul 24th, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
27 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2206 posts
829 upvotes
Pretty pricey. I can’t justify $200 for a stand, but def better than the $600 bowflex deal.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16461 posts
2868 upvotes
GTA
can't believe how expensive these things got
everyone must be jacked like hulk and rolling in toilet paper when we all die from this pandemic in a few months
Jul 31, 2017
35 posts
35 upvotes
It’s still in stock. Workout equipment is starting to stabilize and there’s consistent inventory rolling through most retailers. Some will stop hoarding and reselling now. That or bathe in the equipment and hoarded toilet paper Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16461 posts
2868 upvotes
GTA
derrickrose wrote: how do these compare to individual dumbbells?
you get a lot less dumbbells
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2014
1076 posts
899 upvotes
Edmonton
OOS so fast lol couldn't look at a pic
Feb 10, 2004
724 posts
120 upvotes
Mississauga
Ordered...thanks op!

Been waiting for these to come back in stock. I think these are better than the Bowflex 552 set. Quicker to adjust with a single twist, length is variable depending on weight selected unlike the Bowflex
Aug 19, 2012
912 posts
138 upvotes
actng wrote: you get a lot less dumbbells
lol I was wondering in terms of actually using them. I've heard that these aren't comfortable and that individual hex ones are always better
Sep 14, 2008
774 posts
105 upvotes
Vancouver
Link's already not working though I'm curious about this, how can adjustable ones be faster than powerblock's? Powerblock's looked as fast as it could be, but they were out of stock (and expensive) for so long that I've been using the old school adjustable ones that take forever to change.
Anyone have a link to what type/manufacturer they were?
Nov 13, 2019
192 posts
309 upvotes
A couple differences I'm noticing between these and the Bowflex 552

- Bowflex 16" long, Core Home 14.5" long
- When using the lighter adjustments, the Bowflex stays 16" long, but the Core Home's total length will reduce
- Bowflex offers 2.5 lbs increments up to 25 lbs, Core Home only offers 5 lbs increments for the whole 5-50 lbs range
- Bowflex has semi-flat top/bottom which helps when resting on your legs, and prevent rolling when stationary
- Bowflex seems to have longer usable grip length since Core Home puts the adjustment mechanism in this space
- Purely speculative, but it seems riskier to have the adjustment mechanism attached to the grip; I get that it locks when it's removed from the stand, but I'd be scared motions like curls would put unnecessary strain with that twisting torsion.

All things considered, these are less bulky and look more like a traditional dumbbell, but the main reason I would buy them is because it's Costco, and that means awesome Costco warranty. I got my Bowflex 552 for $400 all in so I don't think it's worth the hassle of selling and trading up.
Nov 13, 2019
192 posts
309 upvotes
Nucks wrote: Link's already not working though I'm curious about this, how can adjustable ones be faster than powerblock's? Powerblock's looked as fast as it could be, but they were out of stock (and expensive) for so long that I've been using the old school adjustable ones that take forever to change.
Anyone have a link to what type/manufacturer they were?

It's Core Home Fitness. You can still find the product if you search on Costco's website, but once you click on the product link it will take you to the dead page.

Powerblocks require removing the pin mechanism and placing it in the desired slot. Bowflex requires twisting a circular mechanism on the outside of the dumbbells. Core Home requires twisting the grip handle; it's a similar type of mechanism as the Bowflex, except controlled by the grip instead of a separate 'wheel'. All of them obviously require the dumbbells to be put back in their base before you can adjust (to add or remove plates).
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2524 posts
439 upvotes
bigtuna99 wrote: A couple differences I'm noticing between these and the Bowflex 552

- Bowflex 16" long, Core Home 14.5" long
- When using the lighter adjustments, the Bowflex stays 16" long, but the Core Home's total length will reduce
- Bowflex offers 2.5 lbs increments up to 25 lbs, Core Home only offers 5 lbs increments for the whole 5-50 lbs range
- Bowflex has semi-flat top/bottom which helps when resting on your legs, and prevent rolling when stationary
- Bowflex seems to have longer usable grip length since Core Home puts the adjustment mechanism in this space
- Purely speculative, but it seems riskier to have the adjustment mechanism attached to the grip; I get that it locks when it's removed from the stand, but I'd be scared motions like curls would put unnecessary strain with that twisting torsion.

All things considered, these are less bulky and look more like a traditional dumbbell, but the main reason I would buy them is because it's Costco, and that means awesome Costco warranty. I got my Bowflex 552 for $400 all in so I don't think it's worth the hassle of selling and trading up.
Bowflex have metal locking plates. These look like they have plastic tabs. Several reviews state just dropping them 1-2 feet will break them. Bowflex used to have that problem but upgraded several years ago both the 552s and 1090s. I would stay away from these core fitness ones.
Dec 9, 2013
651 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
Whys everyone only talking about bowflex dumbbells as the only alternative? Powerblocks are cheaper/similarly priced, have been out since the 90's and are far superior and durable compared to bowflex selectechs.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2150 posts
4651 upvotes
Markham
miscbrah1 wrote: Whys everyone only talking about bowflex dumbbells as the only alternative? Powerblocks are cheaper/similarly priced, have been out since the 90's and are far superior and durable compared to bowflex selectechs.
Bowflex are pretty easy to find since they're constantly restocked. Powerblocks, Ironmaster and etc. have been out of stock for the longest time.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2018
1376 posts
906 upvotes
derrickrose wrote: lol I was wondering in terms of actually using them. I've heard that these aren't comfortable and that individual hex ones are always better
Yes theyre always better. I had mx55 adjustable dumbbell which is exactly same like this core home fitness.
I ended up selling them and getting rubber hex dumbbell. At least they won't break easily. Adjustable dumbbells like this breaks when dropped.