• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2020 5:42 pm
[OP]
Dec 4, 2012
55 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto

[Costco] Cosequin DS Maximum Strength Plus MSM - For Old Dogs

I needed something for my old Husky - joint pain relief. I bought this last time on sale about 2 months ago and have been using it as per instructions. It does seem to work - she has way more energy. This is the best price I could find, especially on sale. We'll do anything for our dogs (even if it is placebo for us) - may as well be on sale.
22 replies
Aug 31, 2011
325 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
It does work I buy it for my almost 11 year old tri-mix dog. She eats them as if they're treats.

Also it has been cheaper, $39.99 in store at Overleaf Boulevard and from time to time they give out free samples. Sample box has 60 pills so it's a "sample".
Mar 28, 2018
58 posts
116 upvotes
I've always thought these dog supplements were so expensive, why dont you just give your dog the ones made for humans? It's just glucosamine, chronditin and MSM...
Nov 13, 2018
591 posts
1370 upvotes
cheapboy69 wrote: I've always thought these dog supplements were so expensive, why dont you just give your dog the ones made for humans? It's just glucosamine, chronditin and MSM...
Same reason you don't give adult Tylenol
Tylenol to a baby.
Sep 20, 2003
547 posts
192 upvotes
Burnaby
cheapboy69 wrote: I've always thought these dog supplements were so expensive, why dont you just give your dog the ones made for humans? It's just glucosamine, chronditin and MSM...
Dosing every day for years gets old vs convenience of this
Mar 28, 2018
58 posts
116 upvotes
I don't think you can overdose on these, I think they just go through you if your body doesn't use it I don't know of any harmful effects and plus the dosage for humans is like 3 pills a day and my dogs are around 1/3 my weight. You can give adult Tylenol to kids just have to adjust the dosage it's still the same drug..
Mar 28, 2018
58 posts
116 upvotes
mc hammer wrote: Dosing every day for years gets old vs convenience of this
This is RFD, convenience doesn't matter
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1090 posts
301 upvotes
mikebmt wrote: Same reason you don't give adult Tylenol
Tylenol to a baby.
Stupid comment and terrible analogy.
"A festivus for the rest of us"

Items for Sale:
Mar 28, 2018
58 posts
116 upvotes
Kirkland Signature Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM Tablets, 300-count

https://www.costco.ca/kirkland-signatur ... 00746.html

Pretty similar dosages, 500/400/400 vs 600/300/250

I've always felt safer giving human grade things to my pets over the pet specific products not to even mention the savings

And Costco always puts glucosamine on sale, if you care so much about dosage get the liquid ones so you can adjust if you have a super small dog or something
Sep 20, 2003
547 posts
192 upvotes
Burnaby
cheapboy69 wrote: Kirkland Signature Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM Tablets, 300-count

https://www.costco.ca/kirkland-signatur ... 00746.html

Pretty similar dosages, 500/400/400 vs 600/300/250

I've always felt safer giving human grade things to my pets over the pet specific products not to even mention the savings

And Costco always puts glucosamine on sale, if you care so much about dosage get the liquid ones so you can adjust if you have a super small dog or something
ya u r lucky if ur pet is the right size. definitely get the cheaper human one. cosequin is supposed to b quality too tho so it's a big time save vs cutting pills for multiple dogs and cats. handling liquid caps is even worse than cutting pills, do not recommend.
Mar 28, 2018
58 posts
116 upvotes
mc hammer wrote: ya u r lucky if ur pet is the right size. definitely get the cheaper human one. cosequin is supposed to b quality too tho so it's a big time save vs cutting pills for multiple dogs and cats. handling liquid caps is even worse than cutting pills, do not recommend.

Not liquid capsules.. they sell it in liquid form too, just get a syringe and pop the same ml in their mouth daily (if you want to be so precise with dosage). The dosage of the human ones and dog ones are practically the same so I'm not sure how it saves you time, one dog pill is equal to the same as one human one. Just the price is 4x more. Gives me a couple good business ideas though! I'll let you know when I come out with my single serve water bottles for dogs.
Sep 20, 2003
547 posts
192 upvotes
Burnaby
cheapboy69 wrote: Not liquid capsules.. they sell it in liquid form too, just get a syringe and pop the same ml in their mouth daily (if you want to be so precise with dosage). The dosage of the human ones and dog ones are practically the same so I'm not sure how it saves you time, one dog pill is equal to the same as one human one. Just the price is 4x more. Gives me a couple good business ideas though! I'll let you know when I come out with my single serve water bottles for dogs.
the liquid ones go bad. washing syringes suck. I've tried it all. i have a big dog and small ones and cats + some other species. dosing different sized animals thru trial and error is just stupid. i know this guy is in here to feel superior but this info is for others.
Mar 7, 2011
818 posts
816 upvotes
cheapboy69 wrote: I don't think you can overdose on these, I think they just go through you if your body doesn't use it I don't know of any harmful effects and plus the dosage for humans is like 3 pills a day and my dogs are around 1/3 my weight. You can give adult Tylenol to kids just have to adjust the dosage it's still the same drug..
If you don't mind poop cannons
Mar 28, 2018
58 posts
116 upvotes
mc hammer wrote: the liquid ones go bad. washing syringes suck. I've tried it all. i have a big dog and small ones and cats + some other species. dosing different sized animals thru trial and error is just stupid. i know this guy is in here to feel superior but this info is for others.
webber naturals Glucosamine, Chondroitin & MSM -- 150 Tablets

https://www.costco.ca/webber-naturals-g ... 00755.html

If you don't like the capsules, they have tablets too. I just don't understand the premium you're paying for the same thing. If the info is for others and this is RFD let's give good information. I don't see a need to wash the syringes for atleast a week if not longer and I've never found it difficult to wash. You suck up soap water and flush it out a few times. Also if you know someone who has access to syringes you could easily get a lifetime supply. If you need a pill splitter those are cheap as well. I don't need to feel superior, I'm just here for good deals and accurate information. I just can't see how this is a good deal whatsoever
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1856 posts
628 upvotes
Edmonton
In warehouse they are much cheaper. I stocked up the last time. And yeah if you can figure out dosage, human stuff is fine. On this stuff the dosage doesn't need to be exact, it's glucosamine

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5126 posts
3958 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I give my 8 year old great Pyrenees the Costco glucosamine. Cheaper and its definitely made a difference in his pain and activity levels.
Sep 30, 2010
435 posts
153 upvotes
Markham
cheapboy69 wrote: webber naturals Glucosamine, Chondroitin & MSM -- 150 Tablets

https://www.costco.ca/webber-naturals-g ... 00755.html

If you don't like the capsules, they have tablets too. I just don't understand the premium you're paying for the same thing. If the info is for others and this is RFD let's give good information. I don't see a need to wash the syringes for atleast a week if not longer and I've never found it difficult to wash. You suck up soap water and flush it out a few times. Also if you know someone who has access to syringes you could easily get a lifetime supply. If you need a pill splitter those are cheap as well. I don't need to feel superior, I'm just here for good deals and accurate information. I just can't see how this is a good deal whatsoever
The only real difference is the taste for the dog. If you are lucky enough to have a dog that will either take the pill or you mask it enough that they take it then GREAT! But there are dogs that know exactly what you're up to and the pet specific vitamins are the only way to go as they basically are a treat to them. Medicinal values are pretty much the same when you can find the appropriate dosage. This information was from my vet when I had initially inquired about the difference!

I'm lucky that my guy just takes whatever I give him (cuz he's a dork) and I am able to just give him the human-grade capsules.

GREAT find from OP for pets that have more sensitive palettes =P
[OP]
Dec 4, 2012
55 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
I should have stressed the taste issue the previous poster mentions in my initial post. My dog will spit out anything that she does not like (pretty much every type of pill). She will eat these freely, no screwing around to constantly make sure it gets eaten. Sometimes convenience wins over cost.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2578 posts
1152 upvotes
GTA
I have a fifteen year old Lab X. He's had some Nature's Way liquid Joint Movement Glucosamine mixed with his food for several years. It was recommended to me by our Vet. It is available at Costco and goes on sale two or three time a year for $15 a bottle (reg. price is $20).
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Mar 28, 2018
58 posts
116 upvotes
scubacuba wrote: I should have stressed the taste issue the previous poster mentions in my initial post. My dog will spit out anything that she does not like (pretty much every type of pill). She will eat these freely, no screwing around to constantly make sure it gets eaten. Sometimes convenience wins over cost.
Makes sense if your dog won't eat it and you can't trick them. I thought dogs like the taste, mine bite open the capluses and if any powder falls out on the ground, they lick it up. They also love the Omega 3 capluses once they break them open and taste it. I guess liquid would be the other option, since they flavor the liquid ones. It's always cost over convenience on RFD though!!!