• Apr 29th, 2019 11:03 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8183 posts
4425 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
secretalcoholic wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 7:03 pm
I bought a 1000 one for a 3 year old A/C (apt is rather new) the other day, think that would be OK? Didn't know highly dense filters caused issues.
There are countless threads on furnace filters in the Home and Garden forum, but the quick summary is the furnace filter is there to protect the furnace from dust and foreign particles, not filter the air in the home. I'd stick with MERV 6 to 8 filters if you want to balance filtration & airflow efficiency, but it depends on your furnace.

Filtrete 1000 is MERV 11 which should be fine.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Oct 20, 2012
199 posts
32 upvotes
Kanata
If you search it up, this particular filter has the lowest pressure drop measured among all 3M Filtrete filers, unless I understand the term wrong.
Can someone give a link of that 500 filberglass filter please?
Jun 2, 2007
164 posts
88 upvotes
Markham
I change the filter density based on allergy seasons, not temperature!
Don't forget to like and subscribe!
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
1784 posts
1313 upvotes
GTA
ryawesome wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 3:54 pm
I've been told by multiple furnace installers, service, etc, to not run these dense filters. Just use the cheap fibreglass ones, they don't take much out of the air however you're not gonna burn out your vac system by using them. How do I know? Well, my previous furnace died because I ran super dense filters and it worked so hard and burned out.
Like you said the really cheap ones don't catch much and the dense ones are very hard on your system. I use MERV 6 which are better that the cheap fibreglass ones. They stop a fair amount but don't restrict the air flow very much. The very dense filters are so expense and shorten the life of your vac system. The manufacturers tell you they are better because they make a much larger profit on them. Listen to the HVAC installers, repair and maintenance people and get the less restrictive filters.
Dec 21, 2010
140 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
how long before changing filter in winter?
how long before changing filter in non-winter?

What is actually needed?
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1592 posts
1855 upvotes
Toronto
tew wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 10:30 pm
Like you said the really cheap ones don't catch much and the dense ones are very hard on your system. I use MERV 6 which are better that the cheap fibreglass ones. They stop a fair amount but don't restrict the air flow very much. The very dense filters are so expense and shorten the life of your vac system. The manufacturers tell you they are better because they make a much larger profit on them. Listen to the HVAC installers, repair and maintenance people and get the less restrictive filters.
agreed. i got code 33 on a carrier furnace. my neighbour's friend is a HVAC guy, he texted him asking what to do, his reply was " LOL, Change filter, restart" From his reply, u can see how common the filter causes problems.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1109 posts
619 upvotes
Etobicoke
If using too high a MERV is bad for your furnace, why not go commando and not use any filter, right. Great air flow right?. I like the 1500 Filtrite, I think that its the people that forget to change their filter, and it clogs with dust that causes the problem, not the higher MERV ratings.