Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals 2018

[Costco] Costco BF event start now / 65X900F $1998 / Vitamix, Dyson, Sonos, Surface Pro 6, GoPro Hero5 and many more

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2019 11:15 am
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 25, 2009
7921 posts
959 upvotes
Nightingale wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 6:56 pm
Ok so you are correct but, People still take them back after 1 year and they accept. I will pull up the Reddit thread about it or maybe it was here. Basically Costco can't refuse your return unless a manager get's involved and says no. The only thing they can refuse are Christmas tress.

You just go back to Customer returns and say the vacuum is dead or malfunctioning, it's a piece of shit etc.... They see on the receipt or just give them your membership they have it recorded on there system when you bought it you technically don't even need a receipt since when they scan the box the barcode matches the same Vacum you bought with your membership.
The battery life isn't surprising, every manufacturer overestimates battery life or advertises battery life under super ideal conditions that's typically not realistic. Pretty much any battery-operated device out there will never meet their advertised life, that's just a fact of life so to speak. It's like laptops, where they'll advertise 10 hour battery life but then don't stipulate that's under certain conditions like with the screen at 25% brightness and wifi off etc.

On Dyson's product page for their portable vacuums they do note that battery life is lower than the advertised 30/40 minute etc. under the max suction setting. And it's pretty obvious that using the drive heads will result in lower battery life as extra power is required to run the motor. I don't know, I did my research before hand and was fully aware of all the short-comings. I already have a Dyson ball stand up vacuum to do the heavy lifting and the bulk of the work, the V8 is mainly for cleaning small areas that the ball cannot access, or even to clean my appliances and electronics. I used my a few times after picking it up on Thursday and it works great, used it clean the filters on my PC and after a single pass the filters look like new... something I only achieved in the past by washing it thoroughly and hand drying, now it takes 2 or 3 seconds with my V8.

In regards to reliability and the battery dying, I've generally only heard good things about them. My brother's had the V8 for over a year and he uses it everyday for his work and he said it still works like new and haven't had any problems with it. So I'm not too worried, and worst case the thing does on me early I'll just return it to Costco.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Sr. Member
Mar 7, 2002
554 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
GoPro now sold out. Doh.
Newbie
Dec 13, 2016
67 posts
91 upvotes
Quick Dyson cordless review - I’ve been running the V7 as our only vacuum since last winter. We have an average sized bungalow, with a mix of hardwood and carpet, and a medium sized dog that’s a freakin fur factory, so we need to vacuum daily. First of all, we can barely use the max setting that drains the battery fast as the suction is so strong it makes it hard to move across the carpet, and there’s no need on hardwood. The standard setting with the brush head on lasts well long enough for us to do the whole house. Really the only downside to the unit is the small canister size, as we suck up so much fur we have to empty it at least twice during a whole house cleaning. Battery has not shown any wear in the year full of constant use for us.

As a frame of reference, we passed our old Dyson DC31 to my dad as we can’t see ourselves ever going back.
Jr. Member
Mar 23, 2008
104 posts
30 upvotes
Mississauga
Here is what's important regarding the Dyson Vacums and that's a point of reference. If everyone hated Dyson's then the company would be in serious trouble. So you will always have people that are satisfied paying ridiculous amounts of money for the Dyson brand. On the other hand you have many people deeply disappointed in the Dyson line. To each his own. What I do know for fact is Dyson's are built as cheap as possible and then sold for a very high markup price and you can bet ascetics and marketing play a big role here.

There is a reason why on Costco Canada's website the reviews for the Dysons are negative. The V8 does not fair well when you consider that 90% of the reviews of actual customers are negative. Also it appears there are reviews of people that owned the unit for sometime. I noticed people love there Dyson's when they first get them and only after time goes by does there assessment change.

The way I see it is it's important for those who are on the fence to be aware that not all is a bed of roses with Dyson and the best analogy to explain what Dyson is in the Vacum world is to compare them to APPLE. They are the APPLE of Vacums. In the PC world you have People that LOVE APPLE and then you have the other crowd that despises them.

My Brother is a big Dyson fan but even he admits he would not buy his model again(unless 45% off)since the revisions Dyson changed the Airplane grade aluminum main house to plastic and the motor subcontracted.

My person view on Dyson is I don't mind them at all and I love there concept of Portable Vacums like the V10. Matter of fact Dyson currently makes the best Portable Vacums but my GOD they over charge for them. The V10 is $800 CDN. My major gripe with them is off course the price. When they go on sale they are basically selling for the price they should have retailed for in store. I don't even consider it a deal just average price. Most people here would never buy a Dyson unless on a substantial discount.

One more thing, if you want to buy the hardwood floor soft roller it's $150. That is insane for a molded piece of plastic with a soft roller. They are without a doubt the APPLE of Vacums. Dyson does not offer a good bang for buck. I know more people that bought Dyson and ultimate long term were not happy compared to those that are. Some people don't care that they had to spend $450 on black Friday for a V8, like my wife just did She thinks Dyson is state of the ART, lol.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 24, 2011
575 posts
238 upvotes
Sherbrooke
Hey guys and gals! Anybody knows if they still have the ps4 with extra controller at 299.99$
Member
Mar 22, 2017
447 posts
355 upvotes
Nightingale wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 2:17 pm
Here is what's important regarding the Dyson Vacums and that's a point of reference. If everyone hated Dyson's then the company would be in serious trouble. So you will always have people that are satisfied paying ridiculous amounts of money for the Dyson brand. On the other hand you have many people deeply disappointed in the Dyson line. To each his own. What I do know for fact is Dyson's are built as cheap as possible and then sold for a very high markup price and you can bet ascetics and marketing play a big role here.

There is a reason why on Costco Canada's website the reviews for the Dysons are negative. The V8 does not fair well when you consider that 90% of the reviews of actual customers are negative. Also it appears there are reviews of people that owned the unit for sometime. I noticed people love there Dyson's when they first get them and only after time goes by does there assessment change.

The way I see it is it's important for those who are on the fence to be aware that not all is a bed of roses with Dyson and the best analogy to explain what Dyson is in the Vacum world is to compare them to APPLE. They are the APPLE of Vacums. In the PC world you have People that LOVE APPLE and then you have the other crowd that despises them.

My Brother is a big Dyson fan but even he admits he would not buy his model again(unless 45% off)since the revisions Dyson changed the Airplane grade aluminum main house to plastic and the motor subcontracted.

My person view on Dyson is I don't mind them at all and I love there concept of Portable Vacums like the V10. Matter of fact Dyson currently makes the best Portable Vacums but my GOD they over charge for them. The V10 is $800 CDN. My major gripe with them is off course the price. When they go on sale they are basically selling for the price they should have retailed for in store. I don't even consider it a deal just average price. Most people here would never buy a Dyson unless on a substantial discount.

One more thing, if you want to buy the hardwood floor soft roller it's $150. That is insane for a molded piece of plastic with a soft roller. They are without a doubt the APPLE of Vacums. Dyson does not offer a good bang for buck. I know more people that bought Dyson and ultimate long term were not happy compared to those that are. Some people don't care that they had to spend $450 on black Friday for a V8, like my wife just did She thinks Dyson is state of the ART, lol.
I'm always surprised that people will buy Dyson vacuums when they can buy Miele vacuums for the same price or less.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1558 posts
776 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a miele C3 and my parents have a Miele C1 and have used dyson cordless for years. They've always bought from costco and I've used them extensively.

Dyson cordless have certain uses. Great for lots of stairs and hardwood floors. Because they are clear, both around the brush head and the dust canister, they look terrible after a time, especially since they scuff easily. They don't age well and I'm glad my dad likes to trade up with Costco. Anyone who buys a cordless dyson from other places are just wasting good money, imo.

The Dyson Cordless are terrible with medium or high pile carpets. My condo has medium pile carpets and I tried it out. The rollers aren't floating (don't adjust) so they can be aggressively wearing down your carpet. They suction is on the carpet is too much and the vacuum becomes hard to push. If it is your main vacuum for carpet, I do not recommend it.

If you live in a condo and insist on needing a cordless because a corded one is a hassle, it's a dumb excuse. My sisters are like this. They just have bad cleaning habits and if the cordless is one fewer barrier to vacuuming regularly, so be it. (Another excuse is to vacuum small messes, but that's what a broom & dustpan is for.)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 20, 2012
1181 posts
374 upvotes
Narkham
GG GoPro looks to be OOS. :( I'll have to check in store, or wait for Boxing Day
RFD is the reason I live in poverty.
Newbie
Nov 25, 2018
51 posts
61 upvotes
Just to share, I purchased a V8 only a month ago, the battery stops charging and gives me a red light. They mailed me a new battery but it also got killed. Chatting with the delivery guy while returning the product. He told me tons of these v8 got returned. So don’t think they will last long.
Newbie
Nov 25, 2018
51 posts
61 upvotes
That’s sounds safe to me but isn’t Costco only has a 3 months period for appliances returns or I am missing something? Love to know more. Thx
Jr. Member
Mar 23, 2008
104 posts
30 upvotes
Mississauga
TingN70420 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 4:26 pm
Just to share, I purchased a V8 only a month ago, the battery stops charging and gives me a red light. They mailed me a new battery but it also got killed. Chatting with the delivery guy while returning the product. He told me tons of these v8 got returned. So don’t think they will last long.

This is the reason why I thought it necessary to warn people about the reality of these Dyson units. Buying from Costco is without a doubt the safest bet there is. I was testing the V8 my wife bought and man was she disappointed. The only way to get decent suction out of it was on extreme mode in which case the battery died in 6 min.
She is going to take it back sometime this week but man was her heart broken. In her mind she thought it was going to have the same performance as a $150 plug in vacum.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 25, 2009
7921 posts
959 upvotes
Nightingale wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 8:16 pm
This is the reason why I thought it necessary to warn people about the reality of these Dyson units. Buying from Costco is without a doubt the safest bet there is. I was testing the V8 my wife bought and man was she disappointed. The only way to get decent suction out of it was on extreme mode in which case the battery died in 6 min.
She is going to take it back sometime this week but man was her heart broken. In her mind she thought it was going to have the same performance as a $150 plug in vacum.
Sorry, but your wife was disappointed by the V8 because she didn't do her research. How is this Dyson's fault or indicative that the V8 is a bad product? Dyson doesn't advertise 40 minute battery life on max suction mode, they don't even promise 40 min battery life always either, just "up to 40 minutes", which most people would understand it to be marketing speak for "yeah you can get up to 40 minutes but probably won't". Also, logic would dictate higher suction = higher power consumption = shorter battery.

Anyways, I get that your wife is disappointed but again, I don't see how this is reflective of Dyson being a bad company or the V8 being a bad product when the disappointment is a result of her not doing her due diligence. I dunno, you keep flogging this as an example of Dyson letting her down and having to force you to "break her heart" when it's because she didn't do her research. I'm not defending Dyson, just pointing out that blaming them for this doesn't make much sense.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
2272 posts
865 upvotes
Sudbury
Since when is Costco's return policy 90 days on a vacuum?

**EDIT** Its 90 days on MAJOR APPLIANCES as seen here and here
Jr. Member
Mar 23, 2008
104 posts
30 upvotes
Mississauga
Winkle wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 8:41 pm
Sorry, but your wife was disappointed by the V8 because she didn't do her research. How is this Dyson's fault or indicative that the V8 is a bad product? Dyson doesn't advertise 40 minute battery life on max suction mode, they don't even promise 40 min battery life always either, just "up to 40 minutes", which most people would understand it to be marketing speak for "yeah you can get up to 40 minutes but probably won't". Also, logic would dictate higher suction = higher power consumption = shorter battery.

Anyways, I get that your wife is disappointed but again, I don't see how this is reflective of Dyson being a bad company or the V8 being a bad product when the disappointment is a result of her not doing her due diligence. I dunno, you keep flogging this as an example of Dyson letting her down and having to force you to "break her heart" when it's because she didn't do her research. I'm not defending Dyson, just pointing out that blaming them for this doesn't make much sense.
I'm sorry to inform you, but most people that buy Dyson Vacum's aren't going online to do extensive research. If they did they would end up having serious reservations on buying one. Also You claim that Dyson is up front about the run time and that is simply not true. They hide it in fine print. The advertisements (The information that most there customers go by) Dyson puts out tries to give the impression that battery life is significantly higher that what it actually is. They do this by trickery. It's one thing to say all companies embellish battery life such as PC's. It's another when you do both that and base those numbers on top of it with attachments that are not mostly used in order to extend the advertised run time beyond what it's actual use will be for.

Why do you think on Costco's website the review for the Dyson's are negative? When you have a good product that's price reflects it's quality then you will get primary postie reviews. I see the same problem with many other people I talk to both personally and on the internet. When you are spending $600 on a Dyson for example wouldn't you agree the unit should be robust and last for at least 7 years. I mean if they charged less like say $299 for the V8, you wouldn't hear a peep out of me. The problem with Dyson is they charge a premium price on a sub par quality item. That is primarily the main issue or reason why you see so many negative reviews.


Look to each his own. If you are happy paying $450(BF discount) for your V8 then that is your prerogative. I am not here to judge or shame you. Understand and this is a reality, those Dyson's are like apple computers. They are built cheap and sell for a ridiculous price. I know a manger at Target in the US and they( all the employees) get a 60% employee discount on the Dyson's they sell in store and even then they still profit. Point in case look at the softroller used for cleaning Hardwood floors. It costs $150 Cdn just to buy that attachment. You could buy a vacum with that money. Can you honestly tell me that there soft roller is worth the asking price?

I personally Like Dyson even though I am fully aware I am getting shanked on the price. So when people ask me are the Dyson's worth the money I tell them what I believe to be the Objective truth that they are massively overpriced and built cheap and only to buy them when they are heavily discounted. If I were to recommend the V8 it would be to someone who's intended use would be primarily hardwood floors(since they perform beautifully on low power with the soft roller) and I would tell them to only buy the V8 Absolute model since it comes with the Soft Roller. The Costco V8 is not a great deal in my eyes since it should include the softroller. If I had to go buy one that's another $150 on top of the $450 with tax my Wife paid for the V8 which comes out to be $600.

I have used the V10 prior to trying out the V8. I will be purchasing the V10 Absolute when there is another sale. This Black Friday, Dyson had a 20% Discount plus they added the Soft Roller if you called Dyson on the phone for the V10 for $80 more than what you and I payed for the V8. Had I known about this deal I would have jumped on it. I already acknowledge that I will be paying hundreds of dollars more than what the unit is reasonably worth. However this is a personal preference of mine and I can live with that.

You and I don't see eye to eye on this issue Objectively. Personal preference wise we do since I mentioned I like the Dyson's even though I think they are a ripoff. I still feel models like the V10 are the best Portable Vacums available right now. I don't care to much for the V8 but it does appeal to a certain audience.

Top