• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2020 12:15 pm
[OP]
Feb 6, 2008
62 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto

[Costco] Costco.ca: Argentinian Beef Picanha $59.99 at Costco.ca after $20 off

I personally didn't try it but some reviewers say it's a best beef they ever tasted. Expires tonight.
Last edited by TomRFD on Oct 25th, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
45 replies
Apr 8, 2009
268 posts
263 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Ordered 2 because.... why not?

Will try this sous vide too.

Thanks OP!

*edit* - as quite the lover of beef (several trips to Japan for Matsusaka beef, Alberta beef when we're at home...), I'm very excited to try multiple ways of cooking this!
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3848 posts
2360 upvotes
Toronto
this better than the Wagyu beef at Costco everyone was going nuts over?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1263 posts
1403 upvotes
GTA
$20/lb seems kinda expensive for this cut.
Likely a factor of overnight shipping and it’s smaller size vs. other cuts (e.g. 5lb ribeye for a similar cost per lb at $23/lb).
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1279 posts
192 upvotes
Richmond Hill
This is one of the few produces that Canada's is decent and fair in price, so support local?
Aug 17, 2019
69 posts
61 upvotes
GTA
I keep hearing about Picanha on Sous Vide Everything. Excited to try!
Jan 11, 2007
23 posts
13 upvotes
No, this a cut of beef. Wagyu is a particular type of cow. Now if you can get your hands on Wagyu Picanha, pretty safe to say there isn't anything left to live for in the beef world.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1187 posts
833 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Ordered this once before.

Was good but I wouldn't order at $80. I'm tempted to order again and reverse sear it, but boy was it smokey on the kamado. Dare I say it was too rich?
Jun 25, 2015
77 posts
55 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Picanha is a Brazilian cut not Argentinean.

The price even with $20 off is too expensive at more than $40/kg and you can get it for 2/3 of that price at any latin butcher (Iasenza or St-Viateur butcher in . Montreal)

As you can see in the pic there's a big chunk of fat on top that makes the cut delicious as it renders while cooking but keep in mind that you are paying rib eye price for the fat too.

Thanks Op for the post
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7550 posts
2719 upvotes
aljawo wrote: Picanha is a Brazilian cut not Argentinean.
lol so only Brazilian cows can be cut this way? This beef is from Argentina.
Oct 30, 2015
77 posts
66 upvotes
Vancouver
I pay $25/kg at my local butcher, obviously not Argentinian, so considering the logistics this has potential to be a good deal. (I’m Brazilian btw)

For god’s sake, don’t take off the fat (eat the f*** thing), just coarse salt on an open extra hot grill, rare or medium-rare. 1 inch or thicker cuts. If cooking the whole thing, sear the whole piece before slicing it. Then you need less time to sear it.

Enjoy boys!
Jun 25, 2015
77 posts
55 upvotes
Montreal, QC
LNahid2000 wrote: lol so only Brazilian cows can be cut this way? This beef is from Argentina.
You are right. Maybe as Argentinean the listing didn't sit well on me having so many good cuts to offer. Price is not great nonetheless. And I'd feel like buying brazilian dulce de leche 🤷