Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Costco.ca: Argentinian Beef Picanha $59.99 at Costco.ca after $20 off

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2020 12:15 pm
May 28, 2012
350 posts
338 upvotes
Montreal
JCYC5 wrote: Ordered 2 because.... why not?

Will try this sous vide too.

Thanks OP!

*edit* - as quite the lover of beef (several trips to Japan for Matsusaka beef, Alberta beef when we're at home...), I'm very excited to try multiple ways of cooking this!
There is no need to sous vide picanha, it's delicious as is.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1890 posts
1568 upvotes
Toronto
porksoda wrote: No, you have to cut it with the grain (True Brasilian style), so when you are eating it you cut it so it will be against the grain.
Angus Top Sirloin Cap is not that hard to get, ask your butcher, usually about $45-$50 in vac pack (in Ontario).
Top Sirloin Cap / Biceps femoris is where its located and commenly called the "cap". In US and Canada Butchers should have it listed in their charts as Coulotte (canadian), and Top Sirloin Cap. Coulotte Steaks & Cap Steaks are precut. Note traditionally Coulotte (french) are cut against the grain - what you want is to cut it yourself with the grain so when you are eating it the bite will be against the grain.

There is no such thing as "True Brazilian style"... Its common to see both ways and there's even a say that roughly translated to "there is no wrong way to do churrasco/bbq, the wrong thing is not to do it". I personally prefer it against the grain in general, steaks gets a bit more tender. Shouldn't matter much for Angus anyway.

As for Top sirloin cap, I'm no expert so just a personal feel, it does include picanha, but isn't just it. Also it's hard to find with all the fat.

Only places I've found proper picanha here are Portuguese/ Brazilian groceries store.

That all said, I'm not even that keen on Picanha, if they're selling Argentinian beef, I'd rather get bife Ancho and bife de chorizo instead.
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Aug 30, 2015
703 posts
382 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
neonic wrote: There is no such thing as "True Brazilian style"... Its common to see both ways and there's even a say that roughly translated to "there is no wrong way to do churrasco/bbq, the wrong thing is not to do it". I personally prefer it against the grain in general, steaks gets a bit more tender. Shouldn't matter much for Angus anyway.

As for Top sirloin cap, I'm no expert so just a personal feel, it does include picanha, but isn't just it. Also it's hard to find with all the fat.

Only places I've found proper picanha here are Portuguese/ Brazilian groceries store.

That all said, I'm not even that keen on Picanha, if they're selling Argentinian beef, I'd rather get bife Ancho and bife de chorizo instead.
Costco here in KW carries picanha (top sirloin cap), I've seen it both labeled as picanha and as topsirloin cap. You can either ask for a full piece or in steaks.
But you are right, it's much easier to find in portuguese places like Pavão
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1492 posts
919 upvotes
I don't know about this one, as get a "product not found" through the link. However, generally speaking I found beef from south America to be lacking in marbling, thus making for "chewier" mouth feel. Not tough, if cooked properly, just a bit of chew to it.

During the height of the first lockdown, I ended up buying a full striploin primal from Mexico. It was dry aged for 7 and wet aged for 21 days. It was trimmed way closer to the muscle than what we get here, which is OK if you are going to portion it out into steaks, roast and cubes anyway, however, there was barely any marbling. I ended up giving most of the portions away to a fat phobic friend of ours, who just loved it.
pca1987 wrote: Costco here in KW carries picanha (top sirloin cap), I've seen it both labeled as picanha and as topsirloin cap. You can either ask for a full piece or in steaks.
I end buying the full AAA primal, and separating the cap. Costco's top sirloin is great for general purpose cooking and grilling. It's mostly reasonably prices, considering it's really AAA.
Last edited by Gr8irlbot on Oct 26th, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2006
2350 posts
564 upvotes
neonic wrote: There are Brazilian Dulce de leche (doce de leite) that are considerably different from Argentinian. And some are better imho.

If you can get this cut in Canadian free range grsss fed Angus, should be similar in quality. But hard to come by.
Argentinean dulce de leche is more popular and also smoother than brazilean doce de leite. Both are good but different, think of smooth peanut butter vs chunky or even light?.
However i disagree with angus being similar to Argentinean beef. Regardless of how you cut the beef. If you slice a gala apple 1 way, it will not taste the same as a honeycrip or a granny smith.
For sale threads:
GCs / Coins
Cloth / Phones/
Dec 25, 2010
21 posts
45 upvotes
montreal
There is a lot of marketing,myth and personnal preference that come with beef STEAKS.

1- slow cook and sear (sous-vide completly change the game)
2- tender not too fatty
3- fatty
4- chewy but good

Technically (top sirloin cap aka) picanha isnt a great cut of meat but its one in the 4rd categorie = appreciated by those who got good teeth and like a stronger beef flavor, the king of those cuts is onglet/hanger steak, 2nd is probably flank steak (wich is terrible if overcook). My personnal favorite because its the last one that you can get for cheap even in a New York restaurant is skirt steak, if you see sobrebarriga or fraldinha in the US get ready for an awesome cheap meal. Also very good price quality is flap steak or (wich is sometimes confused for bavette) wich is used to make ground meat (crime imho). What is steakeable but last on list is flat iron and some part of chuck (wich are top notch ground meat).

4th cat meats can be undervalued when people overcook or dont cut them against the grain so they become tough steaks and people think they are "cheap". If there a place and time where a good steak knife is necessary is facing a skirt/flap steak, in Quebec these are not cheap because they are similar to bavette (flank) wich became expensive when all those kitchen show start to appear.
Apr 20, 2009
950 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
benlessard wrote: Technically picanha isnt a great cut of meat
This is correct, I've been a little underwhelmed by picanha before. But that stemmed from the expectations and the pedestal it was put upon.. it is still a tasty, semi-premium experience.

The true glory cut is the ribeye cap.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1890 posts
1568 upvotes
Toronto
redkid wrote: Argentinean dulce de leche is more popular and also smoother than brazilean doce de leite. Both are good but different, think of smooth peanut butter vs chunky or even light?.
However i disagree with angus being similar to Argentinean beef. Regardless of how you cut the beef. If you slice a gala apple 1 way, it will not taste the same as a honeycrip or a granny smith.
I'm familiar with both Dulce de leche Argentinian and Uruguayan, and Brazilian multiple styles of doce de leite - being Brazilian and growing up on Minas Gerais state helps on this;
As for Angus, it was listed on Costco's page that this particular piece was from Angus breed. There are plenty of Angus down there, along Shorthorn, Hereford. While in Brazil the most common breed is probably Nelore -

And I'm not sure I'm following your comment about apples.
pca1987 wrote: Costco here in KW carries picanha (top sirloin cap), I've seen it both labeled as picanha and as topsirloin cap. You can either ask for a full piece or in steaks.
idk, I've never managed to see the full piece at costco. But those from trays.I mean maybe I'm being a bit stupid, but Picanha is a triangular shape cut, so if they're doing all steaks at the same size, they're including other parts on each steak
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9720 posts
1215 upvotes
GTA
I had a $60 off $100 coupon from a family member that wasn't going to use it (expired yesterday) so I ended up using that to order a steak and some other groceries but since the shipping was included in this it didn't count towards the $75 minimum order for free shipping so I added a bunch more groceries in the end.. First time ordering Costco groceries so curious how it turns out. Thanks OP.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
6447 posts
2344 upvotes
GTA
neonic wrote: As for Top sirloin cap, I'm no expert so just a personal feel, it does include picanha, but isn't just it. Also it's hard to find with all the fat.
Top sirlon cap IS picanha, it sits on top of Top Sirloin, there is a natural minor fat seam and it just sits on top and can move on the animal but stays put on top of top sirloin, hind quarter around the femor you gotta carve it out..

You can ask any butcher and say you want the "top sirloin cap - untouched" and they should vac it for you but you gotta do bit of work on it. I have bought many times from various places locally you just gotta talk to the butcher early early on before he takes apart the hind quarter, they usually toss that in as "skewering" meat or "kebabs".

heh yes picanha is ok if charcoal-ing it, ancho is good and is probably everyones fav everywhere! I am doing NY aka bife de chorizo currently and i have had good and ok experiences based on what part of the strip it was from, the end piece towards the sirloin should really be tossed as chuck as it has gristle.

neonic wrote: idk, I've never managed to see the full piece at costco. But those from trays.I mean maybe I'm being a bit stupid, but Picanha is a triangular shape cut, so if they're doing all steaks at the same size, they're including other parts on each steak
Its only fully triangular after cleanup, otherwise it will have somewhat of four sides (one is super tiny - but in general it is coaxed into a traingluar shape naturally).
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2672 posts
736 upvotes
UPS screws up usual!! It's going to spoil if I don't get it today. There's no more stock to re-order!!! ARGH!!!
Untitled-1.jpg
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1575 posts
1071 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Quite surprised on the quality Costco goes to in order to keep these perishable items fresh... the cooler bag is very thick

PXL_20201027_160410316.jpg
PXL_20201027_160446185.jpg
PXL_20201027_160449748.jpg
PXL_20201027_160520592.jpg
PXL_20201027_160523396.jpg
PXL_20201027_160530585.jpg
PXL_20201027_160535947.jpg
PXL_20201027_160612739.jpg
redflagdeals... buy now, think later.
[OP]
Feb 6, 2008
63 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
twopointfivebar wrote: Quite surprised on the quality Costco goes to in order to keep these perishable items fresh... the cooler bag is very thick
Got mine today as well. Perfectly packaged. Each piece weighted over 2KG .
Apr 10, 2018
53 posts
84 upvotes
twopointfivebar wrote: Quite surprised on the quality Costco goes to in order to keep these perishable items fresh... the cooler bag is very thick

PXL_20201027_160410316.jpgPXL_20201027_160446185.jpgPXL_20201027_160449748.jpgPXL_20201027_160520592.jpgPXL_20201027_160523396.jpgPXL_20201027_160530585.jpgPXL_20201027_160535947.jpgPXL_20201027_160612739.jpg
How did yours smell after opening it? I’ve never bought beef like this (whole and vac sealed) and was really surprised after opening it. The package mentions a slight odor but this smell is really apparent. It’s like ammonia. Even after washing and cooking the smell is faint but still there. Anyone let me know if this is normal or if I should return it.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1575 posts
1071 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ronathon wrote: How did yours smell after opening it? I’ve never bought beef like this (whole and vac sealed) and was really surprised after opening it. The package mentions a slight odor but this smell is really apparent. It’s like ammonia. Even after washing and cooking the smell is faint but still there. Anyone let me know if this is normal or if I should return it.
It smelled like a typical vac packed slab of beef. Kinda like fermented blood or like an empty bottle of red wine that's been sitting out. Let it air out and absorb some oxygen before you do anything with it like the label says.
redflagdeals... buy now, think later.