Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Costco.ca Avalanche Men quilted ski jacket $199.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 3:37 am
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 11, 2007
51 posts
31 upvotes
London

[Costco] Costco.ca Avalanche Men quilted ski jacket $199.99

First Hot Deals Post, hoping someone could tell me if this is a great jacket.

https://www.costco.ca/avalanche-men-qui ... 03685.html

The Avalanche site has it listed at 399.99$ but their are no reviews.

https://www.avalancheskiwear.com/en/product/flag-2/

Costco also has women's jackets,

https://www.costco.ca/avalanche-ladies- ... 02743.html

and

https://www.costco.ca/avalanche-ladies- ... 03766.html
Last edited by TomRFD on Oct 20th, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
21 replies
Newbie
May 14, 2019
51 posts
76 upvotes
I can't comment on this specific jacket but I've bought Avalanche ski jackets from Costco before and been very happy with them.
Jr. Member
Jan 18, 2005
198 posts
116 upvotes
I wouldn't wear it if there was any chance of snow or rain.
Sr. Member
Dec 24, 2011
774 posts
450 upvotes
i'd pass, the only possible reason I could see people buying this jacket is for Costco's return policy.

Besides that, way better options out there. For instance

TheLastHunt - https://www.thelasthunt.com/collections ... oats-vests
Patagonia's web special - https://www.patagonia.ca/shop/web-speci ... kets-vests
Outdoor Research sale - https://www.outdoorresearch.com/ca/sale-ca
Newbie
User avatar
Oct 15, 2020
67 posts
24 upvotes
Richmond HIll
Poco wrote: I wouldn't wear it if there was any chance of snow or rain.
Must be real bad if that's the reputation they have. A ski jacket that doesn't do well in snow...
I'm sure we'll meet again, in some nostalgic place...

The Tale of Princess Kaguya
Sr. Member
Jun 10, 2020
684 posts
670 upvotes
Poco wrote: I wouldn't wear it if there was any chance of snow or rain.
blademagic wrote: Must be real bad if that's the reputation they have. A ski jacket that doesn't do well in snow...
Respectfully disagree completely with both of you.
Avalanche is a French-Canadian company that made the Canadian Ski Patrols official jackets for the 6+ years I was in it.. (And I think they still do). They're lesser-known but make pretty quality stuff that lasts for years, passed down to patrollers.

This one looks a bit less like a full shell, but would be fine in most snow conditions (just not rain, or perhaps really wet, sloppy spring snow).

I would say it's a decent deal for a quality, Made in Canada jacket.
Member
Aug 8, 2010
290 posts
192 upvotes
Quebec
I can concur. Avalanche stuff is the kind of gear you get tired of WAY before it falls apart. Strong zippers, stitching and overall general quality. I’ve been rocking the same soft shell for 7-8 years, and a ski coat that is embarrassingly out of style.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2010
1897 posts
624 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like a nice highly visible winter biking jacket.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 17, 2005
5038 posts
1777 upvotes
Kitchener
Why did they make this quilted when there's no feather in it?
This space is intentionally left blank.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 5, 2008
1666 posts
1458 upvotes
jslabonte wrote: I can concur. Avalanche stuff is the kind of gear you get tired of WAY before it falls apart. Strong zippers, stitching and overall general quality. I’ve been rocking the same soft shell for 7-8 years, and a ski coat that is embarrassingly out of style.
I was thinking of getting back into downhill if the border stays closed and I can't leave. My gear is all 10+ yrs old though so I'd have to buy all new just based on the advances in equipment. I never tied to keep up with the fashions, that was too much work and expense. :)
Jr. Member
Jan 18, 2005
198 posts
116 upvotes
I'm not saying the company makes bad stuff, but the description of this item on their web site calls it water resistant. They use what amounts to spray on waterproofing. No mention of any membrane product. I've been burned too many times in the past and won't go out in anything that isn't Gore Tex or better. Maybe this could work as a layer under a shell, but by itself you are asking to get wet if it is snowing and you go outside in this.

That said, I'm used to warmer conditions, snow in -20 might be fine, but anyone on the west coast should avoid it until they can make more substantial claims about their waterproofness and breathability.
Member
User avatar
Aug 24, 2007
255 posts
113 upvotes
Mississauga
They actually had these in Store at Mississauga Heartland on Sunday (18th) when I was there for the same price ($199). It looked like the one of the roadshow events so not sure how long they will be there.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 26, 2003
2193 posts
586 upvotes
Canada
michiebaby wrote: Pulled from the site?
I don't see it either. When this happens, It usually means the product is sold out online...
Sr. Member
Jun 10, 2020
684 posts
670 upvotes
Thundercloud wrote: Why did they make this quilted when there's no feather in it?
The insulation is a down-mimicker -- synthetic, hence the design.
shadowsteve wrote:
I was thinking of getting back into downhill if the border stays closed and I can't leave. My gear is all 10+ yrs old though so I'd have to buy all new just based on the advances in equipment. I never tied to keep up with the fashions, that was too much work and expense. :)
Bah, man, my gear is easily 10+ years old as well (~2008 for my newest stuff). It works just fine. Since the advent of parabolic skis (if you ski) there hasn't been many real advances at all, just colour-scheme/style changes in the prints on skis. Don't buy into the consumerism/hype! A 10+ year old ski is still infinitely safe, and safer than the wooden ones, or crazy bindings of the 70's. If you want to support the economy, by all means I suppose (sell your older gear for reuse at a swap!), but no real need.

Poco wrote: I'm not saying the company makes bad stuff, but the description of this item on their web site calls it water resistant. They use what amounts to spray on waterproofing. No mention of any membrane product. I've been burned too many times in the past and won't go out in anything that isn't Gore Tex or better. Maybe this could work as a layer under a shell, but by itself you are asking to get wet if it is snowing and you go outside in this.

That said, I'm used to warmer conditions, snow in -20 might be fine, but anyone on the west coast should avoid it until they can make more substantial claims about their waterproofness and breathability.
The description (when it was up on the website) said waterproofness rated at 5000mm. Although a lot of the higher-end stuff I own is rated at 10,000mm, that seems to be beyond enough for a jacket :

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/exper ... breathable.


Also, its a synthetic insulation -- meaning it will dry fast, unlike say down, where wetness is a real, ongoing concern and goretex or really good sealing is nice (but still not required). Goretex always has a price premium, but agreed is best for waterproofness. When not using goretex (which does breathe a bit...) it's probably better to have some breathability in a jacket. ... Not buying snow pants here...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 5, 2008
1666 posts
1458 upvotes
DasHip wrote:
Bah, man, my gear is easily 10+ years old as well (~2008 for my newest stuff). It works just fine. Since the advent of parabolic skis (if you ski) there hasn't been many real advances at all, just colour-scheme/style changes in the prints on skis. Don't buy into the consumerism/hype! A 10+ year old ski is still infinitely safe, and safer than the wooden ones, or crazy bindings of the 70's. If you want to support the economy, by all means I suppose (sell your older gear for reuse at a swap!), but no real need.
Yeah, I was mostly kidding. I don't care what my gear style or age is when I'm skiing.

I started out with cable bindings, no steel edges and lace up boots. My first pair with steel edges (segmented) & ptex bases came a couple of years later. :)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
6600 posts
2957 upvotes
West GTEH!
xXRealDealXx wrote: I can't comment on this specific jacket but I've bought Avalanche ski jackets from Costco before and been very happy with them.
DasHip wrote: Respectfully disagree completely with both of you.
Avalanche is a French-Canadian company that made the Canadian Ski Patrols official jackets for the 6+ years I was in it.. (And I think they still do). They're lesser-known but make pretty quality stuff that lasts for years, passed down to patrollers.

This one looks a bit less like a full shell, but would be fine in most snow conditions (just not rain, or perhaps really wet, sloppy spring snow).

I would say it's a decent deal for a quality, Made in Canada jacket.
jslabonte wrote: I can concur. Avalanche stuff is the kind of gear you get tired of WAY before it falls apart. Strong zippers, stitching and overall general quality. I’ve been rocking the same soft shell for 7-8 years, and a ski coat that is embarrassingly out of style.
I have an Avalanche jacket from a few years ago bought from Costco.
Good, quality jacket. IMO. And I am a skier and outdoors person.

Avalanche, for whatever reason, got out of the Jacket market for awhile. Now they are slowly getting back into the market.
😎

Top