• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2019 3:35 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2017
1852 posts
3967 upvotes

[Costco] Costco.ca – Braun Thermoscan 5 Ear Thermometer – $47.99

This is a good deal for an excellent thermometer – Once you use it you'll never use anything else. Regular price is around $85, and next cheapest currently is ToysRus at $70. Stack this with $20 off $100 Masterpass promo and the deal is even better.

Using it tonight on my son and I was able to check his temp while sleeping without waking him up (perfect for nights like this when your little one is sick and you need to monitor them throughout the night).
45 replies
Jul 3, 2013
376 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
How accurate are these? I’ve heard mixed reviews.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2080 posts
926 upvotes
the only noticeable difference between the Costco one and the toys r us ones is that, the toys r us one is back lit while the costco one isn't
Dec 24, 2012
640 posts
941 upvotes
Terrebonne
dukati wrote: How accurate are these? I’ve heard mixed reviews.
They are not accurate compared to rectal thermometer, or even armpit.

That said, they're MUCH faster and discomfortless.

Been using a similar model with my kids, what I do is I take 2 measurements (both ears). If they're both on the low side, then there is no fever (cant see heat that isn't there). If one of them is high, then there's fever.

If it's borderline, say 37.8C, then I'll check again in 30-60minutes.

For the record, I was an ER nurse for 10 years. If you NEED accuracy, rectal is the way to go. If you need convenience, this is fine, just use your head.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2813 posts
585 upvotes
does anyone knows it any Costco (GTA) still carry the refill caps, the Richmond Hill, and two Markham locations say they don't carry them anymore, since the beginning of the year. THX
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1532 posts
1523 upvotes
Toys r us one also shows last 8 readings vs the Costco which only shows the last reading

manho wrote: the only noticeable difference between the Costco one and the toys r us ones is that, the toys r us one is back lit while the costco one isn't
Wallet safe...
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2015
1482 posts
1046 upvotes
Mont-Royal, QC
Does it on sale in store as well? Probably a better price in store
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2011
1588 posts
1453 upvotes
Pallet Town
jackfollow wrote: Does it on sale in store as well? Probably a better price in store
I saw it at the same price in the warehouse $47.99. Might as well get it shipped for free if you're not already heading to Costco
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1338 posts
426 upvotes
Vaughan
we have the toys r us one and we use it all the time with two kids in day care. might not be as accurate but much more comfortable and faster to take the readings. kids let us do it without fighting back.
Oct 16, 2007
788 posts
782 upvotes
Montr
Bought it a few years ago. It’s great! Yes sometimes you have to take it 2-3 times to make sure you have the right measure, but it takes 3 secs

Good for all ages
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2008
1244 posts
236 upvotes
This is not good for me.. I only have 2 ears :-)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2017
1852 posts
3967 upvotes
Hawk25 wrote: I saw it at the same price in the warehouse $47.99. Might as well get it shipped for free if you're not already heading to Costco
Yes exactly, and if you add some other needed filler items to total $100 you can use the $20 off Masterpass promo which isn’t available in store.
Aug 22, 2012
195 posts
110 upvotes
East Van
the costco one also comes with 40 refill caps, as the TRU comes with 20.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16216 posts
7901 upvotes
Ottawa
These things are indispensable.

I had to replace mine because the stupid alkaline battery leaked and ruined it so I bought another one and installed Energizer Ultimate lithium AA
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Oct 15, 2006
446 posts
88 upvotes
North Vancouver
dukati wrote: How accurate are these? I’ve heard mixed reviews.
I hate this. I had to take temp 2-3 times each time, as they were always off. It's almost like the middle sensor had to be right center in the ear? I bought one of the forehead last ones that you swipe across, and I still do it twice= but I find it's always almost bang on both times. With the ear one, it was sometimes 96, then 99 or 101. WAY off between the tests, seconds apart. so I didn't trust it. But others swear by it so maybe you just need to find a rythym with it.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20126 posts
9549 upvotes
Oakville
I've used one of these with our kids for the last 9 years or so. No complaints. Hell, when we got it, it was the one that our GP was using in her office (she's since moved to forehead ones, though). I use it on myself if I'm feeling a bit off, it's accurate enough IMO. You definitely have to make sure you get it in the ear correctly, though.
May 2, 2016
242 posts
103 upvotes
I have been using this thermometer for last 7 years. It is accurate and easy to use.
Very quickly tell you if child has slight temp or a full blown fever.
No back-light, so you need a light source in the middle of the night (when child sleeping) to read the temp.
I use it once or twice a month just to check children.
I visited sister family, she liked it & took my old one while there, so I went and bought a new one on my return.
On this model (or mine at least) you have to remove the thin ear filter before putting on the plastic cover back on (my old model didn't make me do that).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2005
5029 posts
26577 upvotes
Montreal
Might just get this to avoid the guess work we have on wondering which thermometer is the rectal one, and which is the mouth one..