Costco.ca Daymak EC1 Pro Carbon Fibre Electric Bicycle $2300

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2020 10:48 pm
[OP]
Mar 6, 2005
535 posts
174 upvotes

[Costco] Costco.ca Daymak EC1 Pro Carbon Fibre Electric Bicycle $2300

Seems like a good deal for a Carbon Fibre E-bike. 250w motor, wish it was 500w.
But surprise to see Shimano hydraulic disc brakes.
imageService.jpg
Last edited by TomRFD on Jul 6th, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
129 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2012
1134 posts
288 upvotes
Mississauga
Seems decent. Real win is the weight. My ebike is 70lbs and it's a major pain. Moving it up a couple stairs is a pain, but even stopped at a traffic light you feel the weight. Hopefully all ebikes go carbon fiber.
May 30, 2013
539 posts
615 upvotes
Markham
shmogt wrote: Seems decent. Real win is the weight. My ebike is 70lbs and it's a major pain. Moving it up a couple stairs is a pain, but even stopped at a traffic light you feel the weight. Hopefully all ebikes go carbon fiber.
Even with carbon fibre frame it won't save you much weight.
The weight is all on the motor and batteries.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2012
1134 posts
288 upvotes
Mississauga
chanc2 wrote: Even with carbon fibre frame it won't save you much weight.
Well this bike is basically half the weight of my bike, so I'd say that is major weight savings.
Oct 25, 2017
256 posts
152 upvotes
This bike claims to be 35 lb, which is pretty impressive, but it's underpowered. The new radmission is Rad's lightest option, at 50 lb. (500w @ $1400).. does carbon really make up that much difference in weight??
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3519 posts
4064 upvotes
It's half the weight bro. My Giant Roam is around 35lbs and I have no issues riding it very fast and lifting it easily to attach on my bike carrier. If that weight includes the battery 35 pounds is almost feather light.
For Sale:
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17803 posts
10347 upvotes
Ottawa
interesting offering. The problem with most of these ebikes is that they usually only come in one size. Which is "too big" in my case. If you are about 5 9", this would be a good buy

The real bike brands like Giant, Trek, etc offer multiple sizes, but they cost a lot more than these ebike startups
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2372 posts
5224 upvotes
Markham
I wish VanMoof would sell their bikes in Canada... Really want the S3.

This bike isn't bad, but it came out back in 2015/16 I think.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1364 posts
2070 upvotes
Hammonds
thelasthunter wrote:
It's half the weight bro. My Giant Roam is around 35lbs and I have no issues riding it very fast and lifting it easily to attach on my bike carrier. If that weight includes the battery 35 pounds is almost feather light.
My aluminum is 43lb loaded with empty panniers. The motor is 7lb and the battery is 8.5lb. Bonus is I don't need special torque tools to work on it
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3519 posts
4064 upvotes
Ruciz wrote: My aluminum is 43lb loaded with empty panniers. The motor is 7lb and the battery is 8.5lb. Bonus is I don't need special torque tools to work on it
Yeah, so this is basically half the weight of yours. That's huge in terms of weight savings.
For Sale:
Jun 24, 2005
701 posts
116 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The RBSM ones that Costco sells are fairly light too at 37lbs and 40lbs , both 350kW
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13613 posts
2800 upvotes
Vancouver
On Sale soon? Says who? I’d buy the cannon dale for 2K-2500.
Aug 17, 2018
905 posts
657 upvotes
thelasthunter wrote: It's half the weight bro. My Giant Roam is around 35lbs and I have no issues riding it very fast and lifting it easily to attach on my bike carrier. If that weight includes the battery 35 pounds is almost feather light.
Can't believe a Giant Roam is 35lbs??? Is this stock with OEM parts? My Giant Trance from 2006 18inch was 31lbs with stock parts which was pretty slightly heavy for the time.

If this ebike weighs 35lbs tho its probably due to the battery and emotor, the frame if it was aluminum would probably be alot cheaper but weigh 1lb more.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3914 posts
2842 upvotes
Calgary
While I can understand the desire for lighter bikes, I don't see the point or the necessity for major weight reduction for general usage since it's e-powered or at the very least e-power assisted. One would think a larger wh battery &or stronger motor would be of much more benefit. At least its the cheaper way to go rather than exotic frames/components which generally increases costs significantly & perhaps exponentially. Ofcos specialized (pun intended) race &or high performance ebikes (road/mtb) are a different animal altogether in which case, buyers in that class normally have the dosh to spend.

Way of topic here but for those looking for a PEV either as a commuter (last mile or otherwise) or recreation or both, may I suggest an Electric Unicycle aka EUC aka wheel. My Gotway Mten3 has a top speed of 40kph (but its much more fun slower) with a claimed range of 50km (I get 35km ridin' hard), weighs 22lbs & fit into a midsize backpack. Is there anything better for carrying up/down stairs/buses/trains on a daily basis? My Tesla V2 wheel goes 50+kph (I've reach 48 but normally cruise round 35-40ish) with a claimed range of 150km (80ish by my kinda riding) & when not in use, its basically mobile luggage. O & both are cheaper than this particular ebike & multiples cheaper than highend ebikes ...combined.

Since I've gotten into this "wheeling" hobby, I've had nothing but big smiles even in these troubled lockdown times. And since I'm faster than most other forms of non combustion transports in my neck of the woods, I'm also practising social distancing, by a large margin. Sure its not exactly exercise in the traditional sense but hey if that's the point, then why go e-anything? Get a cheap leg powered bike & ride.

Pardon the OT but just throwing it out there for my fellow RFD'rs looking for alternative transport &or recreation. Sadly or perhaps not, a wheel can be more fun than sexFace Screaming In Fear. At least it gives me a reason to be out in the sun & wind on a daily basis.
Last edited by scotsum on Jul 5th, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2018
1159 posts
1694 upvotes
Hamilton
I swear, crowdfunded bike projects are this generations Ponzi scheme

How repairable are most ebikes in the long term? I’d hate to get stuck with proprietary parts that I can’t replace or repair. There’s few parts on my Giant road bike that I can’t tear down myself.

As for the OP bike, I’m wondering if the reason that the motor is underpowered is due to the cheap carbon. The motor can produce a lot of torque on the frame in directions a rider cannot, so it might be limited to a smaller wattage for structural reasons.
Last edited by ownthesky on Jul 5th, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3519 posts
4064 upvotes
95thRiflesOCI wrote: Can't believe a Giant Roam is 35lbs??? Is this stock with OEM parts? My Giant Trance from 2006 18inch was 31lbs with stock parts which was pretty slightly heavy for the time.

If this ebike weighs 35lbs tho its probably due to the battery and emotor, the frame if it was aluminum would probably be alot cheaper but weigh 1lb more.

Yup, it does around that. I've never weighed it myself, but others have on bike forums. The Roam has a suspension which adds well over 5 pounds. I love it and can still top out 45km/hr on a straight, or slightly downgrade path. Much faster on steep hills. But if I were to do it again, I'd save the 5+ pounds and get a bike without a suspension since I don't even need to use one even when I'm riding on gravel, beaten paths in the forest etc.
Last edited by thelasthunter on Jul 5th, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
For Sale:
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3738 posts
633 upvotes
Mississauga
ownthesky wrote: I swear, crowdfunded bike projects are this generations Ponzi scheme

How repairable are most ebikes in the long term? I’d hate to get stuck with proprietary parts that I can’t replace or repair.

As for the OP bike, I’m wondering if the reason that the motor is underpowered is due to the cheap carbon. The motor can produce a lot of torque on the frame, so it might be limited to a smaller wattage.
for this one seems like most of it can be repaired at any bike shop.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)