Hot Deals

[Costco] Costco.ca: Hisense 65" TVs: Q7G ($898) and Q9G ($1598)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 3:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15427 posts
16626 upvotes
Everyone please ensure you have the latest firmware. It may not help, but it rules out one potential explanation.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3580 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
Hisense Canada says the Q9G/H9G panel can do 120hz:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hisense/commen ... 1/fsrzrtc/
HisenseCA
1 point ·
4 months ago

I'm going to quote a Canadian Influencer who I think said it best here:

"4k 120hz requires HDMI 2.1b, and the inputs on all our current models are only HDMI 2.0b which supports a maximum frame rate of 4K/60hz.

The Q9G (H9G) is a 120Hz panel 100%, it's just the input only supports 60Hz.
A 120Hz panel means the software can digitally add information in-between frames so the panel can smooth it out better. Unfortunately there are very few televisions that actually support 4k/120hz - some LG OLED panels C9 and upcoming models and the TCL 6 series 2019 and beyond. The only thing that truly pushes 4k/120hz right now are computer graphics cards and I think some games on the Xbox One X. PS5 and the new Xbox this year are rumored to support 120fps (requires 120hz) and up to 8k". - Qwazyd0gg

So yes, 100% it's a 120hz panel but does not fully support a 120hz signal.
why the hell didn't they put a hdmi 2.1 port on this panel - seems ridiculous
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7275 posts
652 upvotes
koicks wrote: I’ve not just referring to The Crown. The Crown episode is a good to watch when you get the set as you’ll know right away if your set has it or not. I’ve noticed it in other HDR content like the Haunting of Bly Manor and Hubie Halloween. Seems most prevalent in low light scenes.
I'm 4 episodes into The Haunting of Bly Manor, and did not noticed any "red ghosting" (btw, the show is only OK at best)
Anyway, IMO, and this is from my experience with my set and not other people's posts, the problem is not with the panel, but rather the post processing of that scene.

STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Feb 19, 2004
291 posts
25 upvotes
2kfire wrote:
Asdisme was asking about 2020 5-series; where would you say it sits performance-wise?
So I bought the 2020 -5 series from Costco and I am on my third one..... First one came with a cracked panel, next two had dark spots on the screens.... Small ones but once you see it you'll always see it. Eventually I gave up and started the refund process....

Disappointing because it like the TV otherwise.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15427 posts
16626 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: I'm 4 episodes into The Haunting of Bly Manor, and did not noticed any "red ghosting" (btw, the show is only OK at best)
Anyway, IMO, and this is from my experience with my set and not other people's posts, the problem is not with the panel, but rather the post processing of that scene.

I wonder if Game Mode will eliminate the problem?

This seems solvable through firmware if that's the case.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1046 posts
552 upvotes
Just want to chime in as 65" Q7G for the past 3 months and I've been happy with it. Picture quality,features, connectivity, it's good value all around.

I think the Q9G is a great TV, it's just at $1.5k (almost double) it is a little hard to justify. It becomes really comparable in price to Sony equivalents and you wonder why not just buy the Sony then. In the US the Q9G is priced much lower than the Canadian model. I think they priced it wrong in Canada, should be ~ $1.2k-1.3k
Nov 30, 2014
173 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto
charltonc wrote: So I bought the 2020 -5 series from Costco and I am on my third one..... First one came with a cracked panel, next two had dark spots on the screens.... Small ones but once you see it you'll always see it. Eventually I gave up and started the refund process....

Disappointing because it like the TV otherwise.
Damn that sucks. Which size did you get? What do you think you will buy after the refund?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2013
1291 posts
958 upvotes
St Catharines
redflagdealsguy wrote: Just below the TCL 6-Series (2018) and slightly inferior to the Hisense Q7G.
shinsky wrote: Thanks redflagdealsguy.
I always appreciate your informative posts.
I've been looking to get a new TV next year for the new house. Tempting to buy but maybe I'll wait and see what is new for next year.
After Vincent Theo and FlatPanelsHD, redflagdealsguy is my go-to for TV and monitor reviews/info 👍🏽Slightly Smiling Face
Feb 19, 2004
291 posts
25 upvotes
12andy12 wrote: Damn that sucks. Which size did you get? What do you think you will buy after the refund?
It was 65"
I have no idea at this point. This hisense seem good and the Sony x900 seems popular but I don't have a high standard on these things (don't game or anything). I do know that I'll buy something from Costco due to this experience. The exchanges and refunds are largely painless and I just need reliability on this TV.
Aug 13, 2018
21 posts
5 upvotes
number17 wrote: Just want to chime in as 65" Q7G for the past 3 months and I've been happy with it. Picture quality,features, connectivity, it's good value all around.

I think the Q9G is a great TV, it's just at $1.5k (almost double) it is a little hard to justify. It becomes really comparable in price to Sony equivalents and you wonder why not just buy the Sony then. In the US the Q9G is priced much lower than the Canadian model. I think they priced it wrong in Canada, should be ~ $1.2k-1.3k
Can I ask you something about that 65q7g?

I have it and notice that when it's off, I can't see the built-in Chromecast in Google home. Impossible to wake the tv with Chromecast either. When I call Hisense tech support, they don't know if it's supposed to be like that or not. So what about yours?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2013
1291 posts
958 upvotes
St Catharines
Thank you for the info everyone, it's made my decision 100x harder Face With Tears Of Joy. I'm replacing a 42" Toshiba LB5D from '07 for the kids play room, I'm sure any of these will be a massive upgrade. What makes my decision so difficult is I keep going back and forth between getting a "good enough" tv like the TCL 4-series or just getting a Hisense Q7 and calling it a day! Not concerned about BEST image quality, the LG E6 in the basement has that covered, but definitely need a brighter screen as the Toshiba is in a bright room and is hard to see in the mornings when the sun is shining in.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2005
2535 posts
126 upvotes
Wouldn't going from 2.0 to 2.1 just be a firmware update which the x900 is doing?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7235 posts
392 upvotes
Port Moody
Talamasca wrote: Where did you find the settings? RTings.com?
Yes, he used what was available on rtings for the Q8G/H8G and I suggested scouring reddit and some home theatre forums as well, whether he found anything additional I don't know.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)