Operating system Android Pie UI 9.0
Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 (SM8150) processor
IP68 dust/water resistant
20 replies
Feb 17, 2014
174 posts
313 upvotes
Calgary
Not bad but probably worth waiting to see LG Velvet and Pixel 4a pricing and specs in the next couple weeks.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20153 posts
765 upvotes
Shanghai, China
yycguy1 wrote: Not bad but probably worth waiting to see LG Velvet and Pixel 4a pricing and specs in the next couple weeks.
I agree. In the event the P4A pricing isn't attractive enough, I wonder if we can easily change the ROM on the G8X? LG seems to have a very poor record when it comes to updating its phones. The G8X is worthless if I can't even get timely security updates. I wouldn't even pay $200 for the phone.
Mar 2, 2014
135 posts
822 upvotes
Halifax
I recall there was a thread where these were available for $360ish from ebay seller yy wireless. (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/LG-G8X-ThinQ-LM ... SwDuleEg3R)
for advanced users pulling the trigger on this, you might be better off with the ebay version as LG is notorious for software updates, some e bay models, you can unlock the boot loader and root and install custom roms like lineage OS. (Check xda in that case)
My Previous Experience with LG:
LG Nexus 5 (purchased straight from Google): Amazing phone fully unlocked, installed custom ROM's and development is still in progress for Nexus 5
Lg G3 (Koodo Tab): Another amazing phone, still have it as a backup phone, D852 Canadian model, no regrets
LG G Tab 3.0 (Fido deal): V522 Canadian model, no bootloader unlock, no custom ROM, horrible software support, no upgrades after Nougat
Lg G6 (Koodo Tab): Good phone for the price and specs, lots of issues, bootloader could not be unlocked and no custom rom support for Canadian model, the uniglass covering the 2 cameras cracked, sold on kijiji.
In conclusion, they hardware is good, but dulls out without good software support (except Nexus 5 and maybe Lg g2,g3,g4)
Always good to check for Lineage OS/Custom ROM and bootloader unlock support before purchasing LG.
Last edited by rajanprash on Apr 29th, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 19, 2015
314 posts
293 upvotes
Unfortunately i ain't touching another LG product again after 2 lemons. LG G5 GPS stopped working, finger print sensor stopped working. LG GPAD III infamous boot loop issue.
Oct 18, 2015
291 posts
209 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I have the same phone from yy wireless. It is a great phone, premium feeling and has all the features. It's slippery as heck though so get a case probably.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
3428 posts
4708 upvotes
BC
yonafo wrote: Thanks OP. I checked the Koodo medium and it is $360 on Tab and $120.

https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/lg-g8x-thinq

I might go with koodo over the costco.
With Koodo you're locked into a 2 yr agreement and if you leave early you have to repay the prorated discount back.

Not sure I'd want to lock into a LG device for 2 yrs
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6517 posts
1087 upvotes
I too have issues with LG phones . You can forget about having support on OS update or security updates. I know a friend in the industry saying LG has very little budget on their mobile division thus they cannot afford to do the same support or initial development as larger companies like Samsung or Apple. Learnt my lesson and will stick with Samsung. Consider LG if you can get it for real cheap price.
Sep 1, 2018
81 posts
90 upvotes
I don't shop often at Costco, how long is the warranty with Costco (and not with LG) for a non-member ? That deal is good as long as Costco is backing the product for 2 years.
EdwardS050 wrote: LG G5 GPS stopped working, finger print sensor stopped working..
I hear you. Got 2 LG G5, both had the same issues.
Dec 2, 2007
338 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
I have owned 2 LG's. A LG G5 and a LG G7 Thin Q. So far both phones are still working fine so maybe I am lucky. But I think of all these phones as disposable phones anyways. They should last you 2 years, up to 3 years. It is kind of funny that for phones, I do prefer a Samsung over LG but for TV's it is the opposite. LG OLED TVs have an undeniably better picture quality over Samsung QLED TVs (unless you have a super bright room) and is preferred by most videophiles.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6517 posts
1087 upvotes
LG spent a lot more budget on their TV and appliances divisions, leaving very little for their mobile division. That’s the reason why their TV and appliances are good but their phones are generally bad and lack in support.
May 13, 2017
38 posts
17 upvotes
I had a G4 and v10 years ago... Love it until it both got into boot loop issue.... Never touch LG again
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
13930 posts
4036 upvotes
VANCOUVER
caprio wrote: I have owned 2 LG's. A LG G5 and a LG G7 Thin Q. So far both phones are still working fine so maybe I am lucky. But I think of all these phones as disposable phones anyways. They should last you 2 years, up to 3 years. It is kind of funny that for phones, I do prefer a Samsung over LG but for TV's it is the opposite. LG OLED TVs have an undeniably better picture quality over Samsung QLED TVs (unless you have a super bright room) and is preferred by most videophiles.
That's how I feel too. I don't know why people fret about getting a hundred OS updates. I've never used a phone for longer than about 30 months.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6517 posts
1087 upvotes
Rogido wrote: That's how I feel too. I don't know why people fret about getting a hundred OS updates. I've never used a phone for longer than about 30 months.
I am not referring to a hundred OS updates, they don’t even roll out one and if they do, they are months and months behind Samsung. So you are missing out all the features that the phone should be capable of. I also don’t notice much security updates compared to my Samsung phones.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
13930 posts
4036 upvotes
VANCOUVER
golden wrote: I am not referring to a hundred OS updates, they don’t even roll out one and if they do, they are months and months behind Samsung. So you are missing out all the features that the phone should be capable of. I also don’t notice much security updates compared to my Samsung phones.
I'm not disagreeing with you per se. Some people will find updates important and I can appreciate that. It's just that for my use, OS updates have never astounded me with new mind-blowing features compared to the old versions. Yeah, there may be some cool feature now and then, but nothing that I couldn't live without. Same with security updates. Sure, all things being equal, I'll take them, of course. But I have secondary phones that are still on Android 6 & 7, that haven't received a single security update in years, and they still function fine.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2039 posts
539 upvotes
Vaughan
Bought 2 of these from the refurb ebay seller. Actually the G8 and not the G8X. Great phones. We've had LG's in the past and we'll buy again in the future, so not everyone hates them.
Apr 21, 2015
353 posts
383 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I've been rocking my LG V30 for 3 years without any issues. It's sad when I don't know if 3 years is a long time to have a phone or a short time. As for the deal it doesn't seem too bad. I always prefer buying my phones unlocked off contract. More often than not the upfront cost beats out the contract cost. Sometimes.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
13930 posts
4036 upvotes
VANCOUVER
d_source wrote: Bought 2 of these from the refurb ebay seller. Actually the G8 and not the G8X. Great phones. We've had LG's in the past and we'll buy again in the future, so not everyone hates them.
We've had at least 8 LG phones over the years, starting with the Optimus G. Only 2 eventually developed screen issues (ghost touch issues), and both were used phones bought off of eBay. No problems with the ones bought brand new from carriers. So yeah, definitely not everyone hates them. It's too bad some people throw the baby out with the bath water with regard to LG phones.