Costco

Costco.ca: Nellie’s Bulk Laundry Soda (1,100 Loads) $95.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2022 11:01 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
6312 posts
4696 upvotes
xseanx wrote: Usually around $10 less if you can find these in store.
Not sold in warehouses.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2004
1357 posts
285 upvotes
ChristopherRFD wrote: Does anyone find that their clothes “fade” quicker using this? Am I doing something wrong? I have an older cheap washer and use cold water
No issue at all with fade. I'm very particular about my clothes getting worn or faded in the wash. Never had an issue. Do note I hang dry clothes I care about, but that's regardless of detergent.
Dec 14, 2004
924 posts
200 upvotes
Waterloo
hvc wrote: Not sold in warehouses.
I’ve been buying this for years and a tub usually lasts me about 2-3 years. My family does a ton of loads per week because of our occupation and at this price point nothing is better. It literally saves me hundreds per year while being a great environmental choice.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2004
1357 posts
285 upvotes
JetSwift21 wrote: i’d agree, but I find it just doesn’t clean as well as regular detergent. I sometimes mix a bit with the nellies powder.
Haven't had this issue. Knock on wood. I exercise regularly (run and cycle), my wife gardens, and we have two young children. So our washer and detergent has seen a lot For anything that is stained we do follow proper precautions for soaking or precleaning, but that's only for things like blood and really greasy or saucy food stains.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
7846 posts
3025 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Bought one.
If anyone wants half (I have a scale) I'm on the Danforth or Upper Beaches area - PM please.
Dec 2, 2012
369 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't buy this unless u got a family, the powder hardened so much after 2-3 years I had to drill the remaining powder to dig anything out
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
7846 posts
3025 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
f3times wrote: I wouldn't buy this unless u got a family, the powder hardened so much after 2-3 years I had to drill the remaining powder to dig anything out
I haven't heard of this before.
For those who've had this product for 3+ years, any advice on preventing this?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5503 posts
4988 upvotes
Vancouver
newt_101 wrote: I haven't heard of this before.
It's fine, just use the scoop the loosen the powder. You don't need a drill LOL.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
2178 posts
880 upvotes
Edmonton
Apparently we've used almost two tubs of this stuff in ~10 years. Granted, the first one went particularly fast as we washed cloth diapers for the kids at the time.

Not sure if I should order another now or if what we have left will last until the next sale.
newt_101 wrote: I haven't heard of this before.
Keep the lid on and just scrape the hardened stuff with the scoop once you're down to the dregs of the bucket. I can't say it's ever been a huge problem for us, but it's also not that humid here.
Apr 12, 2018
47 posts
58 upvotes
I can't comment about their laundry detergent, but I received a bunch of their dishwasher pods (or nuggets as they call them) for free with my Bosch dishwasher from Costco, and they are complete garbage. All my dishes in every load where I used them were coated in a tough white film that needed scrubbing to remove or a couple cycles on the hottest setting in the dishwasher with other detergent. I went back to using Cascade pods,
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
1002 posts
1394 upvotes
Vancouver
This took us about 4.5 years to use up for a family of 3.
Aug 14, 2004
126 posts
175 upvotes
micguo wrote: if you do 1 laundry per week that is 20 years of supply. Just saying...
Even as a single person how do you only do one load a week? Do you get lots of stuff dry cleaned? You only shower at the gym and pay for towel service?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1624 posts
405 upvotes
Whitby
Love this stuff. I don't find it cleans quite as good as other products, but it's still good enough for me and the price can't be beat. I never found the oxygen brightener did much. I think I paid $80 in store a couple of years ago.
May 13, 2014
662 posts
321 upvotes
Vancouver
LiQuiK wrote: If you were trying to convert someone who uses Gain or Tide to use this.. what would it be?
I'm one of those people.

It's not that I love Tide or anything, but it works really, really well. Yes, I could save money by switching, but it comes at the risk of dissatisfaction and 1100 loads of laundry is an insanely huge commitment.

I know Costco will gladly take it back if I'm unhappy with it after trying it for say 20 loads, but they're just going to throw it in the garbage and that would be a huge waste.
Jul 7, 2018
64 posts
225 upvotes
I use this when washing bath towels, hand towels, and cleaning cloths (all additionally with bleach).

I found using conventional detergents would cause issue with build-up. So much so that after folding a load of face cloths, my hands would be sticky and would foam up when wet. Changing to this product completely fix that. I don't find it cleans as well as conventional detergents, hence why I also use bleach.

For clothing items, I still use a conventional detergent.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1992 posts
1142 upvotes
LiQuiK wrote: If you were trying to convert someone who uses Gain or Tide to use this.. what would it be?
Before buying the whole tub, go to winners or home sense you can easily find a small 100load tin can or 50load bag to try.

This is what I usually tell people to do when they want to try Nellie's. The no fragrance smell is the one thing they've noticed once they try it, clothes just comes out smelling cleaner rather than hiding in fragrance.
LOLUMIRINBRO wrote: are these ok for baby's laundry
Is the reason I went with Nellie's, my eldest had eczema had to get a non abrasive soap.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)