Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Costco.ca: Nellie’s Bulk Laundry Soda (1,100 Loads) $95.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2022 11:01 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
I've seen this brand at Winners. It's supposed to be eco-friendly, correct? If yes, is there an expiry date. If it is taking people 10 years to use up that to me suggests non-natural ingredients are being used. For example, the 7th generation or eco brands have a shelf life of 24 months. I know from personal experience that it does go off past a certain date, a rancid smell. Can someone take a picture of the ingredient list?

I'm also confused by the number of people that are saying it doesn't clean as well as regular detergent but still love the product, why? Regardless you all got me intrigued though I might buy some from winners and try it out.
Last edited by hierophant on Jun 29th, 2022 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 1, 2017
611 posts
330 upvotes
To people asking about why this is good.

It doesn’t have perfumes
It’s not a detergent - so you can use it for washing performance gear
It’s good for sensitive skin
It’s cheap

My tub will last just under 2 years, but we do a ton of laundry, and my lady friend uses more than the recommended amount (not necessary)

To the person getting humidity. Close the bucket properly. And only open it to refill whatever smaller vessel you’re using for the day to day.

To OP. Thanks! I missed the sale a couple months ago and am almost out.
Oct 22, 2008
400 posts
363 upvotes
Gatineau, qc
Raident wrote:
I know Costco will gladly take it back if I'm unhappy with it after trying it for say 20 loads, but they're just going to throw it in the garbage and that would be a huge waste.
They wont throw it in the garbage. In our area at least, there are some liquidation centers that resale opened and returned Costco goods, and I suspect this is a nation-wide practice for them.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
the_cid666 wrote: They wont throw it in the garbage. In our area at least, there are some liquidation centers that resale opened and returned Costco goods, and I suspect this is a nation-wide practice for them.
If you use some of it up, they (legally) have to throw it in the garbage though, don't they? Even a liquidation centre can't sell something that says it contains 16.5kg when it only contains 15kg, and I don't think they're going to re-weigh and label it.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2011
1676 posts
1073 upvotes
Ottawa Valley
the_cid666 wrote: They wont throw it in the garbage. In our area at least, there are some liquidation centers that resale opened and returned Costco goods, and I suspect this is a nation-wide practice for them.
They send it back to the dealer.

I ordered a Keurig online as a gift for my wife. It had a damaged box, but since it was a gift I returned it and got a new one in store.

3 days later the old one was redelivered to my house. They put the return to vendor shipping label on the box but FedEx scanned the original ship to customer label.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts.
Dec 26, 2018
21 posts
50 upvotes
Manatus wrote: If you use some of it up, they (legally) have to throw it in the garbage though, don't they? Even a liquidation centre can't sell something that says it contains 16.5kg when it only contains 15kg, and I don't think they're going to re-weigh and label it.
I would say that it does get resold. In my area for example I have seen the large tub with a lower weight sold at KK Liquidation and also Cambridge Surplus. So this does happen... and I have bought one.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2019
1205 posts
886 upvotes
Brampton
i ordered nellie's laundry nuggets after reading about this detergent a lot on rfd to try but they were not cleaning as much as tide does. should i just try powder version then ? i bought it from bed bath, could be quality issue as well ?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2008
1168 posts
1981 upvotes
Montreal
You still need fabric softener right?
Nov 30, 2018
378 posts
417 upvotes
Anyone else experience the "white powder" issue when using this? I put the powder in the washer before starting it up and then add my clothes. I find that many of the dark clothes have white powder marks on them. I have started letting the washer fill with some water first, swishing the detergent around in it to try to dissolve it and then adding clothes.. still not perfect though.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2014
1027 posts
1114 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
brampton90 wrote: i ordered nellie's laundry nuggets after reading about this detergent a lot on rfd to try but they were not cleaning as much as tide does. should i just try powder version then ? i bought it from bed bath, could be quality issue as well ?
I bought the powder based on a discussion like this on RFD. I find Nellies cleans better than Tide, is much less expensive and has even less scent than the unscented Tide. My partner and I are very happy with this product.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19157 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I find Tide to clean extremely dirty clothes better but 95% of the time, Nellie’s is great.

Anyone know how to get rid of smell on towels? There’s always a smell when I’m drying myself with the bath towel or washing my face with the face cloth. I was the towels weekly too.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
Jonick wrote: You still need fabric softener right?
No. I have never used fabric softener - it's just marketing gimmick by companies to sell you unnecessary product.
geokilla wrote: I find Tide to clean extremely dirty clothes better but 95% of the time, Nellie’s is great.

Anyone know how to get rid of smell on towels? There’s always a smell when I’m drying myself with the bath towel or washing my face with the face cloth. I was the towels weekly too.
That's sign that your towel isn't drying properly and bacteria is building up (maybe it's too humid in your bathroom ) but it's a common with synthetic materials. You can try soaking them in a vinegar and baking soda solution to see if that helps but in my experience it rarely does. Best thing is to prevent it happening in the first place by using natural materials (cotton) and ensure the towel dries thoroughly (hang it outside the bathroom or use bathroom fan) and avoid using fabric softeners and excessive laundry soap as that creates residue build up on the fabric, which makes it harder to clean it especially oils from our skin - I always put some vinegar in each load to help with residue build up.
May 17, 2011
906 posts
921 upvotes
Toronto
geokilla wrote: I find Tide to clean extremely dirty clothes better but 95% of the time, Nellie’s is great.

Get a bottle of tea tree oil at Costco (best value) and add a couple of drops on top of the powder in the washer. De-funks everything. Even hockey equipment and teen boy stank.

I loved Nellies *but* it left weird colour blotches on our towels and some other darks. No rhyme or reason to it, but I switched to Tide powder due to that issue.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2004
1563 posts
537 upvotes
newt_101 wrote: I haven't heard of this before.
For those who've had this product for 3+ years, any advice on preventing this?
If you seal the packaging well it's fine. I may get clumps but nothing that can't be broken apart by a plastic scoop. I also have a smaller secondary container (Nellie's tin can from a decades ago Winners purchase) that I refill. Which is probably why my main container stays fresh. It's sealed 99% of the time.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2004
1563 posts
537 upvotes
luvdeals1 wrote: Anyone else experience the "white powder" issue when using this? I put the powder in the washer before starting it up and then add my clothes. I find that many of the dark clothes have white powder marks on them. I have started letting the washer fill with some water first, swishing the detergent around in it to try to dissolve it and then adding clothes.. still not perfect though.
I put my powder in the detergent receptacle of my machine. The machine washes it in and I presume it dissolves as it flows. I never put it directly in the tub. Give this a shot?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
luvdeals1 wrote: Anyone else experience the "white powder" issue when using this? I put the powder in the washer before starting it up and then add my clothes. I find that many of the dark clothes have white powder marks on them. I have started letting the washer fill with some water first, swishing the detergent around in it to try to dissolve it and then adding clothes.. still not perfect though.
Do you have a top-loading machine?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
LOLUMIRINBRO wrote: are these ok for baby's laundry
We specifically switched to Nellie's for this reason.

Bought our last tub a little over 2 years ago and used up about 2/3 of it. Should be good until next summer.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Feb 27, 2003
948 posts
974 upvotes
Langley
For the person who doesn't know how to google:

Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2712 posts
678 upvotes
Burlington
newt_101 wrote: I haven't heard of this before.
For those who've had this product for 3+ years, any advice on preventing this?
I fill up a coffee can out of the big jug and then reseal the big jug tight. Never had it harden up on me (this will be my 4th jug purchase)
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)